Catalog Updating Progress Thread

Hi all, I suggest that we need a consolidated thread to say who's doing what for the catalog update. This is to avoid duplication of resources and efforts.

For me, I've temporarily paused my efforts on the Ninjago and Super Heroes minifigs as it seems there are others doing the same thing. I'm sure others also don't want their efforts wasted so it would be great if everyone could say what categories they are doing. Perhaps this thread could be stickied as one of the top posts in the forum.

In the meantime, I'm supporting our Owl with purchases! =)

Comments

• 39 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • +1

I'm confused about the catalogue strategy (not just because it's called "catalog" on an English site).
  • @poseidon1001: good idea, but it seems to me that admin is very fast in approving/rejecting changes that the duplicate issue is not really an issue?
  • My focus was trawling through what was left in the unnamed categories which has a very daunting figure attached to it.

Started off a couple of days ago sorting unnamed uncatagorised minifigs, then went on to drawing any information on the remaining minifigs to sort them into a category at least.

Went on to uncategorised parts, apart from the sports and conveyor parts which I believe Lawrence may have a new category in mind for.

I am unable to go through the entire category as some of them are proving difficult if they have no image, no related sets, no name e.t.c. but doing what I can.

Holding fire today until I check on what has been approved, happy to continue in that area of the catalog, although would appreciate somebody taking a browse through the remaining unnamed minifigs to see if they can identify them, as I am struggling on the remaining ones with pictures.

Not sure I have chosen the most important area to try and clear out, @admin feel free to point me elsewhere if I can focus on something else for you.
  • @the Hellmouth
    I know for certain that some of my requests for minifig name changes were not the only submissions on the items, as the eventual name of the minifigs were different from my suggestions.
  • The main area with pending stuff is Technic. Minifigures is fairly free. Sometimes I approve name submissions then improve them myself. The current system seems to work well, someone will name all the superman minifigure for example, the someone else can come along and add bits to the name to differentiate them.
  • Being more specific, I'm confused about image sourcing and naming. Images for minifigs for example, there is currently a mix of "real" photographic and the "exploded" elements type, and missing ones. I read in another thread about images coming from Brickset, does this include minifigs or is that just sets? Is there a long term plan for the sake of consistency? Naming, do I assume the unnamed ones that did have names are due to those names being BL names? If so, is there a naming convention to follow or does it just have to be "different" or will they follow Brickset? As the OP pointed out, this information is getting very fragmented in various forum threads, I think it would be helfull if there could be something more in the catalog(ue) notes about the site's strategy for this, also some instruction/help on how to search for minifigs/parts (if you don't know the BO names).
    thanks
    Robert
  • Hi Robert, I think Admin wants to let this develop organically, that's what he seems to be saying in his reply.
  • @poseidon1001
    LOL, Admin's reply was typed while I was typing my message so I did not see it before posting.
    OK, I sill think some more framework would be helpful.
  • Brick Owl, The Organic LEGO Marketplace.
  • Aren't Megabloks more organic.. well biodegradeable :D
  • I agree, framework will be helpful. My partner handles the help stuff but unfortunately she has less free time than I do.

Our names do not have to be different to BL for the sake of being different, as long as you name something without staring at the BL name first that should be fine.

As far as pictures are concerned, we will accept almost any picture, but the ultimate picture is one taken in great lighting, with a removed white background. Computer-generated images are there to fill the gaps.
  • @Admin - When will you know what images you have coming from Brickset?

I'm holding off on minifigures until I have some idea on what is needed, some series (especially the CMF's) would really benefit from a standard look, at least in each series.

Looking at the other place the images are a right old hodge-podge and look "messy" - but to the OP's suggestion it would be very helpful to have a pinned thread, where we could let each other know what we are planning on submitting?

G
  • Still doing uncategorised parts and skipping back to uncategorised minifigures now and again.

@admin I know you are busy, but do you have a planned new category for the sports parts and conveyor parts? then I can get all those shifted and see what we are left with.
  • edited September 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I finished going through the non-decorated Technic, working through electric now, going to pneumatic.

No plans on going back through the decorated Technic, if people have them (and the base name is changed already for consistency?) I won't be trying. If base parts still say "Technic" first, the change is still pending.

Regarding Electric, my first go through I don't plan on doing much stuff past the last two generations of connections now. Train parts and lighting parts would be better with someone who knows them and the lingo better for consistency.

@ Robert Re: naming

It started getting easier for me after the first hundred. I basically look at what TLG calls it, if that is available, to find base words. Then try and turn the years worth of database name reading around to say things forward. Strip it down to the minimum and what you would say out loud and type into Google, or comes up on Google best for what you are trying to describe.

Many are used to things like this

Electric, Motor 9V Power Functions XL with Dark Bluish Gray Bottom

becomes

Extra Large Power Functions Motor

and tag any descriptors that could be needed to relate, keeping the name clean and flowing.

"XL-Motor"

"9V"

• @walstib: I like what you've been doing to the technic parts so far!! Whenever these parts come up in my orders I feel like the names and categories are just as they are intended. It seems strange to me now that those names were never used before as they seem so natural. Kudos!
  • As Just having joint the party... patience seems to have its rewards..., we recently started contributing (while counting inventory and adding, just on BO as our BL store is for the unforeseeable future closed) ... and although we don't know who or what approves, in the end we end up with a picture and (for now) acceptable description.

Items that seem to hard for now (not that many) we delete from stock and will add later...
    Over the weekend submitted 10+ pics and all are used and to be shared with the community...
    and we are only halfway past parts/animal..., :)

Next up.... "Znap"

Think the "admins" are very busy currently.....,

@poseidon1001: "Anticipating your order...., will you make the missing pics on arrival or, should we make them on departure?"

• Whats more amazing is, to my knowledge, the admins are in fact the admin, either that or Lawrence has cloned himself, personally I think it is the latter, either that or he has 6 arms and multiple pcs.
  • I am working through minifig torsos, likely to spend the next day or two there.
  • If I missed it I'm sorry to rehash. Is Tyre supposed to be Tire?
  • Could do with clarification on whether the site is in American English or English, or a setting to choose (not knowing how that would be set up) It's tyre to me, but the catalog is a combination it would appear, spell checker seems to be set to American English.
  • Do it in American English, I'll translate them later automatically.
  • Its not an issue of translation as much as an issue of which one will be used most in the search engines. I personally don't spell tire that way.
  • edited September 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    http://brickowl.com/forum#/discussion/comment/631 Admin said....
    We will have localisation both for real foreign languages, and also broken versions of languages. So, if you are from an English English place it will show "Colour" and other people will see "Color", but obviously it's not that high on the list at the moment.
    From earlier, maybe it will work through the item names as well?
  • Google is mostly smart enough to "translate" between English dialects, so I'm not sure the search engine issue is especially large.
  • I would like to help add to the catalogue, but find it hard to "link" the picture ( i'm a bit long in the tooth and not computer savey) is there a for dummies guide i should be looking at. or somewhere i should be looking, thanks in advance, stacey
  • If you click the edit tab on an item, scroll down to the picture section, click the browse button. It should then popup a window to let you find the picture on your computer, double click the picture, click upload, then after its uploaded scroll down and click submit .

Hope that helps.
  • @admin

I would like to clear the majority of what remains in the uncategorised parts section as far as I can.

Could I suggest conveyor parts to go into:

Rubber Band and Belt - Conveyor (as a new sub category)

and sports themed parts:

Themed Parts - Sports (as a new sub category)

with possibly splitting down the sports category into the relevant sports themes in the future.

Those are the best places that I can figure them fitting in at the moment short of throwing them in the 'Other' category which I do not want to do.
  • I should be able to resume contributing to the catalog now - I've freed up some time. I started to yesterday but then encountered some areas of the catalog which appear to be changing.

In Sets we have 'Collectable Minifigures" and "Collectible Minifigures". Which spelling are we sticking with? Right now Series 11 is the only one in "Collectible Minifigures".

Then in Minifigures we have "Collectable Minifigures" and "Collectible" (no trailing "Minifigures"). Strangely the Series 11 is in the "Collectable Minifigures", along with Medusa from Series 10. All the others are in "Collectible". What's the plan here?

In Sets, there is a "Super Heroes" category for all the modern super hero stuff, and a "Batman" category for the 2006 era Batman stuff. The separation seems consistent at the Sets level, although some of the subcategories need cleaning up - such as having both "Marvel" and "Marvel Universe", and having a "Batman II" when there is a perfectly fine "DC Universe" category.

In Minifigures there are the "Super Heroes" and "Batman" categories as well. But some of the 2006-2008 minifigures from the "Batman" sets are in a "DC Universe\Batman" category.

What's the overall plan here with the Super Hero categories?
  • It appears Admin will be working on cleaning these up later:

http://brickowl.com/forum#/discussion/comment/2888

Brian
  • ^ OK, thanks. I have about 2 months of posts to catch up on. I tried finding a post which may have captured this, but catalog related posts seem to be spread throughout "Catalog Discussions", "Suggestions", "Site Issues", and "Brick Owl."
  • Hi Admin, just to check - have the images from Brickset arrived yet? It would be much easier to name minifigs by working off the images instead of the digital renders which frequently are incomplete (for instance, missing torso or headpiece).

We should also try to put in as much work as possible to make the catalog as friendly and conducive as possible to catch Christmas shopping; right now the incomplete catalog with incomplete images might be a reason for buyers to shop at other places.
  • The one benefit of the digital images is when creating inventories for minifigures, sometimes the lighting on photographs is difficult to make out exact colours of parts such as legs, so I am glad the digital images are remaining as an alternative as they do have some uses.

The missing photos and now missing descriptive or identifying information linked to them makes a lot of them almost impossible to identify and sort out, I have helped a lot to sort what I can, but there is still a lot to do.

As far as buyers going elsewhere, it would appear that recently we have had an influx of new stores and members, which in my mind did not bring competition, but brought new customers which I thought would be a benefit not just for my store but for all, although personally my sales have dropped from not a lot, to more or less none, unsure if this is a trend, or other stores have gone the other way, and although I want to keep contributing to the catalog while I am not having to spend time sorting orders, I think I personally need to walk away for a bit, leave the store open and reassess.

At the moment I wish I could point my finger at why my store has failed amongst the many theories I have, I am limited on what stock I have to add, I cannot invest much more money at the moment, my main store pages are not getting many hits if any, under construction catalog, site traffic levels e.t.c.

I hate to feel that I am abandoning the site after all the countless hours I have contributed to it, and how continually I am impressed with the site and it's creator, although I am sorry to say that your second highest catalog contributor (only because I had the time to contribute) is having to take a step back, as a little reassurance to myself that I have done something of use, I hope what I have contributed has helped the site and it's members.

Afterall Brick Owl is the reason I am here in the first place, if I only had the 'other' option, I would have never bothered.

Keep up the great work, when I figure how I can boost my store and help the site further as a balanced combination I will be back in full force.
  • @Nathvw Don't throw in the towel so quickly. You've "only" :) got about 6700 parts in your store which is fair but not large. When I was that size the orders were intermittent. Keep reinvesting in your store and you'll keep getting sales.

Thanks for all your contributions to the catalog.

Brian
  • Brickset images will probably be a few weeks, Huws off on a cruise, he said he'll sort them out when he gets back.

Agreed on the above point, you do need lots of inventory to attract buyers
  • I don't know how to reply, I have just deleted the four responses I just typed.

All I will say at the moment is that I cannot justify obtaining more items to grow my inventory, so if that is the reason my store has failed, then I know what I need to do.

I thought there would be room for stores at both ends of the scale.
  • You haven't failed. But you can't get lots of inventory without first having a little inventory. Hang in there. It's not like every day will net 50 quid of orders. You might even experience a week of no orders and then suddenly three will come in the same day. This isn't like selling on ebay.

Best,

Brian
  • Don't give up..it just takes time. I've got 218 lots at the other place and just got my first order after a few weeks.

The more you have, the more chance that a visitor will place an order, but small works too...just more slowly.
  • Nathvw - sorry to hear that. :(

Hey Lawrence- I can't browse Nathvw's closed store (although he didn't ship to me anyway). I see everything OK on the front page, but clicking a category shows "no items found".