What BrickOwl means to me...

edited September 2013 in General Vote Up3Vote Down
I wrote a letter to a seller on Bricklink that was a tad upset about something I wrote about about the BiG sellers there...
and it made me stop and think...
and without being too smarmy, I thought I would share.

So when one of my favorite sellers closed for good on Bricklink (Slim Pickins) and left a message of why - I almost quit - it was really close - I'm not a big seller- guess sort of "medium".

I used to be a buyer on Bricklink - but got tired of being ripped off with lot fees and other miscellaneous "seller fees" - other than a handful of good folc.

I was getting ready to stick ALL my LEGO on eBay out of fed-up-ness.

and then I happened by chance to find BrickOwl! :):)
how? I was searching for an element by TLG ID and it led me to "The Daily Brick" which led me to BrickOwl...
so here I am "saved"

So with a big "thank-you" to Lawrence, and BrickOwl ~~~ I STILL have all my stuff!!

OK thats too smarmy - but its true - Graham

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, Graham, I've had similar "thoughts of negative association" before when something happened on BL I had a difficult time dealing with, and then the whole Lego experience becomes tainted with those sour feelings. But the Lego experience is bigger than BL, and Brick Owl is the newest and best example of that.

Thanks to Lawrence for sticking his neck out to try for something better. And judging from the flurry of activity in and about the Brick Owl catalog this weekend, I would say the community is also in support of this new venture.

Russell
  • My thought is that a lot of people are so protective of and happy with the other site, because they've built their reputation over there... a competing site would initially put them on the same level as others, and they'd lose any advantages. Brick Owl's a good chance to "start over" and do things differently.
  • Being a "big seller" on "that other site" - I agree with the thoughts that this evens the playing field for some. For us? It's another chance to branch out to other buyers, and hopefully find some new business and folks to help with our love of hobby selling to support what we love.

I hate that there's such a war going on between the two sites, as it's really not necessary. I don't think that the new BL owner is going out things the right way, but on the other hand I do think people are expecting the site to be immediately fixed after years of problems. Seriously, the ship was already almost torn in half, how can anyone expect it to be fixed within a few months of it being bought? Give the poor guy a little time to get a team together and get moving forward.

Aside from that, we'll see how this all shakes out with the "legal action" - that's just sad.

Tracy
    Brick-A-Thon