would like: inventories including bag n° (exists nowhere else)

edited September 2013 in Brick Owl Vote Up1Vote Down
For inventories from sealed sets, I would like to have a remark field, giving me the possibility to note the bag n° where the parts were found. This would help to assemble sets from parts, and would make checking of existing inventories easier. Also, it would allow to sell sealed bags of sets separately.
For the last sets I parted out, I noted the bag numbers on a printed inventory and found that quite helpful.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I did actually consider that recently, one of the issues though is many sets don't come with numbered bags, I suppose you could just make up the numbers for those. I will consider it.
  • Sometimes Lego varies the bag count too.
  • Ah, that could be an issue, the only thing worse than missing information is misleading information.
  • For sets where the bags are numbered for the instructions, they'll mostly be constant.
    Other sets, not necessarily, especially if there are set redesigns in between production runs.
  • I just parted out 3 of the same set, and the bag count was the same in each.

@Admin: when the bags are not numbered, we could name them A, B, C... In any case, it would already be great if the inventory could mention how many bags are in the set.
    BTW, I also missed a checkbox when submitting an inventory, where to tell how the inventory was made (from sealed set, from instruction, from box count, etc) - could be useful when people don't agree on a submitted inventory (I hope we can avoid repeated inventory changes).
  • It's a good idea in practice, but as others said the bag contents do sometimes get changed between production runs.
    The other fly in the ointment is that many sets can have the same pieces in different bags to fit the modular assembly of the set - so bags 1 and 4 may both have 2 x 4 bricks in white in them, so you'd need the ability to break each lot of pieces into multiple lines.
  • we could at least do it for sets where the bag numbers appear in the instructions (where instructions indicate which bag to open for the following steps, the bag contents will certainly not change during the production run - or they would have to issue updated instructions).
    Same piece in different bags doesn't require multiple lines. If there's just a remark field, you put something like 1(2x)+3(1x)+5(3x) (that's what I did, when noting the bag content on a printed inventory).
  • Good point about numbered bags would need instruction changes! hadn't thought that through all the way!
  • Just to be a pain, they do also change instructions, and even the pieces in sets sometimes. Enough to make a grown man cry.
  • Might be simpler to have variant sets with separate inventories rather than variant parts within a single set.
    Then each bag/instruction/part combo could be listed separately if someone wanted to do that.

Remember the "Floor Sweepings" sets? Cosmic Ray posted a masterful breakdown on LUGNet.