Shipping Quotes

Sellers without quoted Shipping Costs are at the Top of the list of sellers.
This encourages you to visit this store.

I visited Maple Bricks.

The quote was considerable, so I questioned if I added to the cart would this increase the shipping cost?

I returned to the Basket to find half my order had been sold to someone else?

How can genuine buyers be assured that these sellers are going to send the items?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • > @Mrf1963 said:
    > Sellers without quoted Shipping Costs are at the Top of the list of sellers.
    > This encourages you to visit this store.

Personally I try and avoid stores with quotes, but occasionally i have to use them.

> I visited Maple Bricks.

@qwertyboy

> The quote was considerable, so I questioned if I added to the cart would this increase the shipping cost?
    > I returned to the Basket to find half my order had been sold to someone else?

Unfortunately this can happen, the parts in your cart can also be in several other carts.

> How can genuine buyers be assured that these sellers are going to send the items?

Check out their feedback, this seller has over 100 positive feedback. With about 1 in 3 customers leaving feedback this would mean over 300 successful orders.
  • > @Mrf1963 said:
    > Sellers without quoted Shipping Costs are at the Top of the list of sellers.
    > This encourages you to visit this store.
    >
    > I visited Maple Bricks.
    >
    > The quote was considerable, so I questioned if I added to the cart would this increase the shipping cost?
    >
    > I returned to the Basket to find half my order had been sold to someone else?
    >
    > How can genuine buyers be assured that these sellers are going to send the items?

We have the quote system for international items that are too large to ship letterpost. International shipping costs for these items cannot be easily captured in standardized shipping costs due to the weird rates Canada Post uses for them.

As I tried to explain twice in emails, the quote system does not reserve items. They are still for sale in the seller's store. There is no malice here, it is simply how the system works. You will find the same happening in any other store (if you are unlucky to request a quote that someone else also wants and places an order for it).

Again (and now in public), my apologies for this inconvenience. I hope this has not put you off buying on BrickOwl.

Niek.
  • I proposed this before, not sure if it's worth mentioning again, but it would be highly useful for buyers to be able to pre-pay a reserve in order for bricks to be held until they accept a shipping quote - with some kind of time limit for the reserve. It's happened to me as well, asked for a quote then by the time I got it and went ahead to buy some of the items I was going to buy were gone. A reserve system would allocate the items to effectively remove them from purchase (at least through this store - if the seller has their inventory listed on other sites this might still be an issue).

It's one of the reasons I don't like to shop stores with shipping quotes - plus the fact that a lot of the time quoted shipping is 2 or 3 times the shipping average of other stores that auto-calculate.
  • We have the quote method active for shipments that fall outside easily-captured shipment costs. I estimate over 95% of all our orders will result in a shipment cost at check-out (looking at 3700+ orders on another site). The quote method (for us) is basically a safety net for orders that fall outside what we realistically can set up in proper shipping methods.