Minifig(ure) pix

edited September 2013 in General Vote Up0Vote Down
@ Lawrence/Admin
Has there been any decision on getting these from Brickset?

if not is it worth delegating?

Its a lot of work snapping uploading trimming uploading (to BO) I would happily take on a chunk - I have loads of current figs in Superheroes, LOTR/Hobbit, Toy story, Dino, Lone ranger and on

I also have all the CMF's up to series 10, tho I haven't dug into 8, 9 & 10 boxes yet.

It would be no fun doing double duty - doing that only to find someone else also did it already!

{thanks for the name BTW}

Graham

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Would love to help, but with my best (read still crap) camera dead and my back up 'camera' not providing anything in the way of quality images, and the less I say about uploading from it the better, I cannot help much. :-<
  • I would prefer if the images could be our own ideally. There is certainly a lot to be taken. One thing that's a bit of a pain, I have all the necessary equipment here (camera/lights etc)… but no time to take pictures. Then there are several people who have the time to take pictures, but lack the equipment. I've been thinking over some sort of scheme to loan the equipment out but it seems a bit tricky.
  • Sad thing is I used to have a friend who was a semi-professional photographer and he always used to offer to photograph my cars for me as he knew what he was doing and had all the gear, I also used to have a friend who runs a successful Eb*y store and he also has all the photography gear. I have no friends any more, I had a career at one point and that lost me most of them, I'll shut up.
  • Lawrence I have the equipment, and I can/will make time, I would just like to know what you would like me to take on, so that you don't get duplicates, and I don't spend time wasted.

I have mini studio lights - I can also easily make a light table (if required) - if there is an exact match required, ie. position of key, fill and backlights or other style of lighting. All I needs is a map of where you place things. How far the camera is away from subject, position of Minifigure etc. with without accessories etc.

OR I could just set it up take a few and let you choose.

I could also set up a temporary "studio" to do this.

BTW I used to work in Television, that's why I have the kit (somewhere - I haven't used it in years!)

My lighting kit consists of LTM Peppers the mini and small ones as well as large softlights. I also have filters to get correct color temp.

Or I could use natural lighting with reflectors etc.

Everything needs digging out of storage, so it will be a bit of work - but I'm happy to give it a go

the photos I submitted so far were just using daylight with a fill in flash, if that style is OK then of course it would be a LOT easier!!

Graham
  • Not to toot me own horn but I used to also be a pro photographer many moons ago!!
  • Well, I don't have any picture taking planned, I don't know what other people have planned, you could just state here, or make a new thread saying which you are going to work on so others don't.

My setup is a lightbox with two lamps pointed in at the sides. Camera on tripod, no flash, centre of the lens is roughly in line with the torso. Figure is exactly straight on so you can see perfectly through the legs. No accessories, head and hair facing forward, and hands both pointing the same way. The camera is probably 30 to 50 cm away with a bit of zoom.

Saying that though, we accept pretty much any quality of image, but I believe better images will always result in higher sales for anyone who uses them. Maybe it would make sense to have some sort of scheme to reward "super high quality" images. It's difficult though, I don't want to discourage others who lack the equipment.
  • Although my main aim when I started filling in the gaps with missing photos was simply to fill in the gaps, I would love to redo everything I have uploaded to a much better standard, my old camera had some detail, but the lighting was all wrong.

So all I can do at the moment is think 'that's my photo, I wish it was not such poor quality so I could be proud of it' difficult to define 'poor quality' I know, and something is better than nothing I guess.
  • An update on this already, Huw has offered up his images so I will discuss that with him.
  • That's very kind of Huw, could there be a links page or block somewhere to help promote and credit those Brick Owl works alongside?
  • Quite the brick, that Huw. :) (Did I use that right?)

Brian
  • Great news! Huw is awesome!
  • edited September 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    An update on this already, Huw has offered up his images so I will discuss that with him.
    THAT is great news!! Don't know Huw - but that is truly "in the spirit"!

... So let me know what holes in pix (if any) need fixing, and i'll get crackin'

Cheers Graham

Now back to uploads!
  • I wonder how long till BrickOwl shows up on here: http://brickset.com/detail/?set=8833-5#ui-tabs-9 and replaces BrickLink :)
  • HOORAY for Huw!!!! Believe this is a major, major step for Brick Owl. The real treasure is in the image database of old sets and old minifigs that BO's current user database do not have or do not have access to. that would have taken alot of time and effort if Brick Owl were to do it by themselves. Now the Owl will have access to those images as well, many of them high quality! =)