No weight, no dimensions -> low shipping. What now?

Hi everyone,

so, I've sold an instruction book for 22€. The system didn't know the weight or the dimensions of the item and went with the lowest shipping rate we have (6.20€ incl tracking). Turns out, the instructions weigh 1.9kg and shipping will cost 37€.

I don't mind if the shipping is off by a bit but paying 37€, which is more than 30€ out of my own pocket is a bit too much. What should I do now?

Thanks!

Nadine

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In the first instance, we would advise updating the dimensions on the item immediately. You can see any items that are missing dimensions by clicking on the appropriate link from your store dashboard. If items are missing dimensions, then the system won't be able to accurately set the postage price. We would then advise contacting the customer about the situation, you would probably need to cancel the order, and then the customer can choose if they wish to place the order again with the higher shipping cost.
  • I just submitted the weight. Will try to get the dimensions later.

In the end, this may result in a negative review for me, right? :-/
  • The best thing to do would be to seek to resolve the situation with the customer amicably so such things can be avoided.
  • Hi everyone,

so, I've sold an instruction book for 22€. The system didn't know the weight or the dimensions of the item and went with the lowest shipping rate we have (6.20€ incl tracking). Turns out, the instructions weigh 1.9kg and shipping will cost 37€.

I don't mind if the shipping is off by a bit but paying 37€, which is more than 30€ out of my own pocket is a bit too much. What should I do now?

Thanks!

Nadine
    Is it a single instruction book or several parts with a combined weight of 1.9kg?
    Could you somehow pack it to get it under 2kg total weight?
  • It's the death star instructions, so no. They are HUGE. :neutral:
    I sent the customer an email and cancelled. No reply yet but hoping for their understanding :-/
  • @Steineflut
    I assume you are talking about the 75159 instruction (as I checked the 10188 in the past)?
    Yep quite painfull, one of the heaviest instructions ever...
    I'm afraid you learned the hard way that submitting 'data' to this website is 'crucial' > it is the reason why every seller has a the option to check 'missing data' from within their inventory. Obviously some things are irrelevant (or of lower importance), but weight and sizes are 'crucial' on autocheckout...
    Boxes and instructions can be 'heavy', I don't list any without being 100% sure I've checked them (but your message had me decide to check again and I still found 2 small instructions listed that didn't have weights/dimensions) and so right now I'm just just piling them up (all sets after 06/2013) just because I don't wanna run in a situation like yours (I knew sooner or later sellers were bound to get a serious 'sting' over instructions and/or boxes).
    My advice (to all sellers): deactivate all instructions and boxes from your inventory untill you've checked them, one by one (particulary from sets after 06/2013).
    Smaller parts and figs are usually not a big problem, but larger items (hulls / animals like dragons) might still cause issues if they have missing/unprecise dimension/weight details.
    Bottomline: do not rely on others to fill the data for you...

I truly hope your buyer will be understanding ;-)

@Lawrence: If I recall well we discussed 'copying' box sizes towards 'original box' size, this partially resolves the dimension problem on 'boxes', it might be wise to embed a 'force' quote on original boxes and instructions (+ sets ?) if either weight or dimensions are missing (basicly: only if both are present an autocheckout would be allowed). Working on 'averages', particulary on instructions is quite risky, as instructions seem to get thicker every year...
  • Ok, so I took a look at 42043 and it says it contains 3 booklets. I have only got one book in the sets I have parted out. Maybe this has changed since you often have to download the instructions for alternative models? Weight is about right but I added dimensions.