Dimensions - Public announcement

For those entering dimensions, please be aware that a stud is 8mm in length and width while it is 9.6mm in height. I have seen a lot of parts that are listed as 6 studs high and 68mm. 6 x 9.6 = 57.6. The stud on top is about 1.7mm for a total of 59.3mm. I've let the 68mm slide and won't be correcting every single one of them but please be aware of these dimensions.

Thank you,

Brian

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • To clarify, are you saying the system has the stud heights too high?

It looks like that is the case, I use a multiplier of 1.13 for the stud height, but that it would seem to be incorrect. I guess I should use a multiplier of 0.96 then add 0.17 to the total. Does that sound correct ?
  • Sounds like that's correct. Plates would be similar but 0.32x + 0.17. Though you won't have very many 2-plate high pieces.

It appears that the knob height has been added to every stud height.

Brian
  • As far as width goes, the ideal formula would 0.8x - .02. Whatever formula you're using now isn't exact but it's REALLY close.

Brian
  • So stud dimensions are used for height of parts here, in that type of dimension, rather than using bricks for height?
  • OK, I see now you are saying a "height stud" is bigger than a "length or width stud"

The reason I know it as stud by stud by brick, so saying the same thing in different words.

If I now understand correctly, the same thing is meant here and the while the third measurement says stud the same as the first two it really means the height of a brick without the "knob"

Those panels I questioned about are listed as 2 studs high, and the thinnest part of those measures 2 "distance studs". So someone probably though a stud is a stud is a stud, entered 2 as the height, and the system made it two "height studs tall", which is too big.

Seems like it now to me anyway.

A clear explanation on the catalog entry pages would be great.

• A 1x1 brick is referred to as 1x1x1. Even though the dimensions are different as you state it's still a 1 unit. Length and width are 8.0mm. Height is 9.6mm. Orientation is usually with studs up. With brackets the studs on the thicker portion go up. There are some parts where there is no obvious way to orient it. In those cases I have been using the longest dimension as length and the next longest as width. This at least gets as much of the dimension into the 8.0mm grid as possible.

When trying to define substuds I've found that length and width are generally broken in half while height is broken in thirds. Obviously 1/3 of height is a plate. So a dimension like 1x2x2/3 (double cheese) is common. Some of the animals have been bizarre dimensions but I've been rounding up within these parameters.

RARELY have I used something like 1.4 studs. I probably should have rounded to 1.5 but it was 11.2mm sideways and a piece that could tessellate. 11.2 / 8 = 1.4.

Something in two "distance studs" would be 16mm. In "height studs" it would end up being 1.67. Funnily enough, 1.67 distance studs is the heights of 5 plates (minus the knob).

I'd be happy to create a write-up if others would proof-read for clarity and Admin would approve.

Brian
  • As far as width goes, the ideal formula would 0.8x - .02. Whatever formula you're using now isn't exact but it's REALLY close.

Brian
    I was using a multiplier of 0.79.

@DagsBricks I would be very happy if you want to create a write up.

I have adjusted the formula used for calculating the dimensions. I have also made the current dimensions appear in the correct fields in the edit screen.

• I am going to continue using my calipers and measure things that way in mm rather than try and think in studs.

But yes, anyone entering numbers in the stud fields rather than the mm fields needs this information.

On a side not any sort or rounding, if it will be more than a mm, makes me nervous.
  • @Admin

Not sure if the new calculator is in place but please be sure of cm vs mm. Stud height should be 0.17cm. It appears it has been entered as 0.17mm.

Similarly the width and length formula should be subtracting 0.02cm not 0.02mm.

Brian