Shipping Thickness exceeds the limit

Hi Everyone

An advice, please!?

I am new here however, I run a shop for a while on the other platform and I have some experience, but here is a bit different when the customer pays before being invoiced.

A customer placed an order in my shop and he add's the shipping method according to the website, but the issue is, it will not fit through the letterbox as a Large Letter due to some parts being bulky and it has to go as a Small Parcel
It will cost me £2 extra to send the order.

I really don't want to cancel the order as this is my 2nd one here and maybe I will get a feedback and possibly I will start selling every now and then, at the end of the day I will make this money back soon or later, but not if this situation occurs more often than not.

What should I do in this scenario?

Send the order and pay the extra?
Ask the customer for extra money?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers
Stefan

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited March 2017 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Your letter shipping methods look all right, configured for a 25mm maximum thickness.

So how did the part end up being too thick for lettermail? Did it have incorrect dimensions in the BrickOwl database? Does your 25mm include some room for the bubbles of the bubble mailer?

And I would just pay the extra £2, it's not the customer's fault.
  • I think the 25mm doesn't include the bubble envelope I will reduce the limit to 20mm to avoid this situation in the future.

This was my first thought to pay the extra.

Thank you for your time. Much appreciated.
  • I have a depth limit of 20mm for my large letter band as this takes into account the padded envelope and still brings it below the Royal Mail threshold. On a couple of occasions a part will tip it over into my small parcel band and charge the customer accordingly, but still ships as large letter so I refund them the difference.
  • What part is it?
  • I have a depth limit of 20mm for my large letter band as this takes into account the padded envelope and still brings it below the Royal Mail threshold. On a couple of occasions a part will tip it over into my small parcel band and charge the customer accordingly, but still ships as large letter so I refund them the difference.
    I always did the same. I've changed it to 20mm, I have to add a small parcel band and all should be fine. Thanks
  • What part is it?
    92591 looks like there are 24mm thick.
  • Canada has even less wiggle room. POP THE BUBBLES where the part sticks out.
  • I have found people don't like being asked for extra cash when an error has been been made in the shipping fee especially when they have already paid it. I think you have addressed the solution for the future by adjusting the maximum depth to 20mm. Remember to allow room for packaging in the weight bands. (I found out this the hard way!)

Don't forget the UK postal rates went up today - I have just spent about 30 minutes adjusting all mine.They have gone up by differing amounts so you can't just add a percentage. Europe and World rates have gone up even more and definitely need checking.

I sometimes find that Brick Owl calculates the shipping to be a Small Parcel but then the order fits in a Large Letter, so I just refund the difference.

Calvin
    Central Bricks
  • @Totonel
    If your 'letter' limit was 25 mm, then obviously a 24 mm is going to cause some issues indeed, you did good by reducing the thickness of such mailers in your settings.
    As to the extra cost: eat it ;-)
    The situation allowed you to rethink your current settings, so you will be 'safer' on any next order containing similar parts, so it's basicly 'learning' money. Happend to most of us somewhere along the way ;-)
  • I have found people don't like being asked for extra cash
    Don't forget the UK postal rates went up today - I have just spent about 30 minutes adjusting all mine.They have gone up by differing amounts so you can't just add a percentage. Europe and World rates have gone up even more and definitely need checking.

Calvin
    Central Bricks
    Asking for extra money would've been the last thing on the list, maybe if it was a big amount i would've ask the customer to meet me half way.

Regards to the new prices, I use Drop&Go and the ladies in post office they gave me the new brochure with the price list last week, and I've update them last night.

Thank you.

• The situation allowed you to rethink your current settings, so you will be 'safer' on any next order containing similar parts, so it's basicly 'learning' money. Happens to most of us somewhere along the way ;-)

@RobErNat
    To be honest, I really didn't look at the thickness until I've put it in the envelope. I've shipped the order and I paid the extra. We learn something new every day.
  • @RobErNat @bnsf734 @giser @Markyd7 @Jay37 @Stragus
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to read the post and drop a suggestion/advice. Really much appreciated. Great community.

Thank you.
  • @RobErNat @bnsf734 @giser @Markyd7 @Jay37 @Stragus
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to read the post and drop a suggestion/advice. Really much appreciated. Great community.

Thank you.
    No problem, happy to have been of some assistance!
  • @Totonel not sure I deserved a thanks, so I thought I'd share my Large Letter Size.
    270x186x21 I've readjusted this and made it smaller a few times over the years.
    Would prefer customers to end up paying for Small Parcel and then refund them if it fit's in a Large Letter.
    I still get 1 or 2 now and then that should fit in a Large Letter but doesn't. Normally when this happens the Large Letter cost is getting close to a Small Parcel cost, so shouldn't have to pay much out of my pocket.
    But you will find some customers will adjust their Cart so it's just under the maximum size or weight for your Large Letter size, so they don't have to pay the Small Parcel price.

For Europe and World I have these sizes slightly smaller, due to the higher cost difference with each price band and then anything over a certain weight is quote only.
  • @Markyd7 I did sort them the other day, it should be fine now. However the customer placed the 2nd order after he received the one I've mention in this topic, so it's all good.

Slowly but surely I will build my feedback here as well. I have only 88 on the other platform and I can't use the boost.