iPad or tablet?

As in :-
Does anyone use one as a seller?
Are BrickOwl and BL as well as BrickStock compatible with iOS?

It would be good for me as my store is in 2 locations, at the moment I use two Macs, and now Apple have a 12" iPad makes it a viable option.
If not iPad what about other tablets?

Thank You

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Viewing the sites on a tablet should not be a problem. BrickStock does not run on iOS.
  • A windows based tablet or convertible would do it. The microsoft surface line is a nice but not very cost efficient option. When the device should only be used for BO, BL and BS then also relatively cheap acer or lenovo convertibles should be suffucient for many years.
  • Another idea is to run it on a full desktop computer then remote into it from the tablet using a Remote Desktop app. Microsoft makes one for Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.rdc.android&hl=en

The benefit of this method is that you can make changes from multiple locations on the same copy of your inventory file. Android tablets are also super-cheap.

The down side of the method is choppy Internet may make it difficult to use and the interface to BrickStock may not be great when remoting in using a touch/gesture device.
  • right, the usage of Brickstock might be very complicated without a mouse and a keyboard.
    The question is, how often you use Brickstock? I use it mostly to part out sets and to manage prices. This is done from my Desktop Computer.
    Most of the other tasks are done on my Ipad wich is a handy device for sure.
  • Thanks for the comments - (sadly) I was drawn to Apple 24 years ago - kinda hard to change now.
    It's a love-hate thing for sure!
    I use BS solely for parting sets and I am pretty much computor illiterate (hence my "love" of Macs) - I wonder if Apple have remote desktop for iOS? I like the idea of "one copy" but not sure I want to jump into Windows at my age in life!
  • You can do the same thing with your Mac. Just Google "remote access osx over internet", first page of results has all the info you need (skip past the sponsored ad links).
  • I have no problem on brickowl on my phone but it's definitely not as good as just doing it on your computer because it can be a little hard to list items sometimes.
  • bit the bullet, got iPad on tax free weekend - so it works, but seems BrickOwl is not optimized for iOS :(

@Lawrence the biggest "issue" is the size of the buttons, could you make them bigger?
    Example in "Store Inventory" view - the button (+in a square) is almost impossible to engage to enable the drop down. Or could you space the word (under category/subcategory) further away?
  • Use my iPad all the time without any problems.
    Don't forget you can 2 finger zoom.

Doesn't work in the real world though unfortunately. Lost count of the times I've tried to zoom in on things in magazines etc!
  • @Graham some of the website elements can be fairly small, but as @Markyd7 has mentioned pinch to zoom should be helpful in those cases
  • I still use a 1st generation iPad (ask your parents!) for on the fly tasks such as checking orders, monitoring the forum and following catalog submissions. I use the mobile too for similar tasks, but the iPad has a larger screen so less scrolling and easier to read. I agree with @Gbone that the desktop is my workhorse for inventory adding, although I make small changes from time to time using both the iPad and mobile. FYI, Brick Owl works absolutely fine with the old iOS 5! Aside from a speed issue I've not noticed any problems with pages/images loading
  • > @Lawrence said:
    > @Graham some of the website elements can be fairly small, but as @Markyd7 has mentioned pinch to zoom should be helpful in those cases

Took some getting used to but yup "pinching" works fine :)

Only wish I'd got one sooner - boy is it making life easier.

I wonder if there will Chiropractic adjustments for messed up thumb and trigger finger, due to excess pinching LoL