Starting to use BrickStock to track what I'm buying

I have the tendency to throw the same part into multiple stores as I'm building carts up then forget which parts I already bought my needs from. The wishlist feature doesn't really help at the end of the purchase process - I want to keep wishlists maintained without subtracting from them.

So what I decided to do was use BrickStock (in Mac) to track my purchases. It's a little tedious but I should now be able to review a cart before purchasing and know what items I don't really need anymore if I've already gotten enough at the price levels I'm happy with. The main thing that makes BrickStock tedious is that # 1 it's really slow, it's very painful to wait for it to apply a filter when searching specific parts. Secondly, there's no way that I can see to tell it to ignore the decorated items or choose only certain groups part types when searching rather than 1 part type at a time. Also, it's very BrickLink-centric so some parts are hard to find without a tedious name-based search. It would also be nice to someday swap out my own pictures just for my local view. Other than those issues, it's way easier to track with it than without it.

Am I using the best tool, though?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • BrickStock can be very slow yes. The solution is to select the category a part is in instead of All Items. Then it's not so unbearably slow.
  • as far as i know there are no other tools around :S
  • If I could emulate the database sync, a web version that is much faster wouldn't be hard to make. The problem is - which sources are "correct" and how to avoid every little variation people might add and verify accuracy? Then interoperability between resources like BL, BO & related sites. Even here, I'm sure it's not the easiest thing in the world to integrate peoples' database update submissions.
  • One annoying problem - there is no "Stone" gray options in BrickStock. Would the equivalent be the Pearl grays? It's not clear if the newer neutral grays that LEGO produces are the generic Light Gray or Dark Gray in BrickStock or something else... can anyone clarify for me?
  • Medium stone gray is light bluish gray. Dark stone gray is dark bluish gray.