Help with BrickSync please?

@Stragus or anyone who can help!

Rather than continue hijacking the other thread...

I have finally figured out how to run BrickSync on mac os, my questions...

1. Does Bricksync only run in terminal? So that I have to leave terminal open all the time?

1b. if so is there likely to be a stand alone app anytime?

2. Then do I have to leave my laptop running 24/7 without allowing sleep.

3. What happens when I loose connection (my ISP is not 100% reliable!) and in the event of a power outage of say a day or two?

3b. and from that is BrickSync running local or is the actual syncing happening "in the cloud"

4. Can lots have different price or other values on BL vs BO?

5. The warnings on BL about tokens and "secrets" (one per IP address) would suggest I should probably dedicate one computer to handle the syncing, in which case it could be a wintel or linux pc that I acquire for the purpose (if that would be better)
We have an old pc kicking around so that wouldn't be an issue in cost.

Lastly anything I should be aware of or cautious about before attempting the first sync? Other than an obvious backup!

I ask that because my BL store is currently "empty" so all data will come from BO, which seems the opposite way round??

OK thanks in advance!

G

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @Graham
    1. I'm not familiar with MAC OS, but 'yes' the program has to run all the time if you wanna have 100% certainty you're synced.

1b.Already discussed an 'app' > no chance at this point, I tried the cloud, no option right now, but there are cloud developpers who are working on having .exe's run in the cloud...

2. Sleep = process freeze

3. Auch

3b local (see 1 and 1b)

4. no, bit you can set different discounts, discounts are not 'synced', those are propper to each site

5. YES: 1 machine only, if you switch machines, copy the program but destroy the main BSX file and let BS handle it when you start the process on the 'new' machine. A new BSX will be created and BS will do the rest (make sure to not use the 'sync' command at that point, blmaster on/off is safer)

It would be safer to use your BO data (BO to BSX) by using brickstock and import that file into BL so that your inventory 'matches' with one another. Then you can use 'sync' to get the matches between both. If you wanna play it safe: import in BL and use the BLmaster on/off command, BS will search for matches and update the BO lot's with the same lot ID's. Non matching items will be set to zero. If you know in advance you have such lot's you can tag them with ~in the remarks/comment field to prevent syncing (I use it on superlots on BL for instance, or things that are only listed on BO)
  • In addition: If you don't have 20 orders per day and are rather a 2-3-5 orders per day kinda store, then you really don't need to have BS running all the time. The chances are pretty slim you'd get an order with identical items within the same few hours.
    I usually run it 3 or 4 times per day, more then enough. Every morning around 6h30, around noon by my wife, she leaves the laptop on but it goes in standby so the process stops (you will see the warnings). I trigger the process around 17h00 by typing 'message' and enter (I found out it reactivates the process without needing to shut it down entirely), then one last time around 20h30 - 22h00 depending how long I stay 'online'. During weekends I keep it active longer troughout the day (more PC activity anyway).
    ISP downtimes are not that much of a problem for that reason.
    Your biggest problem would be the 'power downs' for a couple of days, as then you wouldn't be able to sync at all... Offcourse you could take the device it runs on to another location then ;-)
  • I'm on macOS also so I can try to help with Mac issues if you have any problems. bricksync only runs in the terminal yes.

I think my biggest worry at this point is non-matching items between BL and BO. Exporting BO to a bsx file will skip lots of items because of missing BLIDs for example. I assume this won't be any better in bricksync either? Is the only way to avoid problems there to add a ~ to the remarks or otherwise those items will be deleted?

• @RobErNat

thanks for all that info!

orders are very variable, and unfortunately if power goes down it usually means we are stuck at home

so on a wintel pc does BrickSync run as a program?

The price of laptops these days means one dedicated to syncing isn't an issue, seems a better solution than a desktop for reasons you mention.

Unless I use my mac, I have an older one that I currently use to add inventory and pick orders.

and @bricksinbins do items without a BLID on BO get deleted from both sites or just BO?

It would seem I should do things with BL being the master, get my inventory correct there then not worry about missing items on BO??

then lastly is the attitude from BL going to curb being able to trade in both places?

OK thanks again!
    G
  • One more Q

@ anyone who has been using BrickSync for some time

Has it been problem free trading across the 2 sites, or at least with few "issues"?

Cheers
  • One more Q

@ anyone who has been using BrickSync for some time

Has it been problem free trading across the 2 sites, or at least with few "issues"?

Cheers
    Been running BrickSync for a year now and its been with no issues. Only had one day where the other site API stop working for few hours, part from that all working good.

Im planing on setting up my BrickSync to run on Raspberry Pi or something similar with a UPS (backup battery) as this will use far less power then having a PC on 24/7. Or i run it on a Sever in another location running CentOS. That way it will always have a redundant internet and power supply.

• Been running BrickSync for a year now and its been with no issues. Only had one day where the other site API stop working for few hours, part from that all working good.

Im planing on setting up my BrickSync to run on Raspberry Pi or something similar with a UPS (backup battery) as this will use far less power then having a PC on 24/7. Or i run it on a Sever in another location running CentOS. That way it will always have a redundant internet and power supply.
    Thanks, that's encouraging!

As I have unreliable internet, even tho it's supposed to be **great** - running on an external server sounds appealing - is this something easy to achieve with a lack of computer skills?

Thanks G
  • edited March 2017 Vote Up0Vote Down
    BrickSync has been very stable for quite a while now. I can't recall when the last patch was needed. One solution is a super cheap hosted server. We use linode.com which i think is $20/mo. 100% uptime, and being in a datacenter somewhere, you never have to worry about spotty internet. If you want to run a command, you can just open up a terminal session and connect to the server. Probably requires a certain level of comfort with tech. The other option is an old used desktop, plugged in under a desk somewhere that stays on all the time.

Regarding the question of unlinked items, BL is the master. If there is no BLID link, then that item simply won't appear in your BO inventory. It won't be deleted from your BL inventory.
  • BrickSync has been very stable for quite a while now. I can't recall when the last patch was needed. One solution is a super cheap hosted server. We use linode.com which i think is $20/mo. 100% uptime, and being in a datacenter somewhere, you never have to worry about spotty internet. If you want to run a command, you can just open up a terminal session and connect to the server. Probably requires a certain level of comfort with tech. The other option is an old used desktop, plugged in under a desk somewhere that stays on all the time.

Regarding the question of unlinked items, BL is the master. If there is no BLID link, then that item simply won't appear in your BO inventory. It won't be deleted from your BL inventory.
    Thanks! When you say a "certain level of tech" - what level would that be? and is there some instruction available in some form?
    I do come from a tech background (radio/tv), however most computer related, whilst quick to learn, I am somewhat lacking.

On the unlinked items, I have 255 lots (almost 4% of my inventory) which owl2bsx shows as "no BLID", which I have no idea how they could have arrived in BO inventory (I have manually entered a few but not this many!) as I use BrickStock to add inventory, so with the first sync am I correct in assuming that those will remain listed on BO but not BL?

Cheers Graham
  • @Graham
    BL tends to change their ID's, some contributors on BL are very reluctant to have a 'perfect' database, where everyting is very 'consistant', that includes 'extention' numbers...
    You might have a lot of listings that used to be 'pb0xx' that where changed towards 'pb00xx'
    Technicly the listing didn't change, but the 'match' did...
    Quite annoying a.a.m.o.f. , I even had the discussion with the BLCA's, and said in somen cases it's just 'changing' for the purpose of 'changing'. They agreed, yet keep 'accepting' changes.
    example: a non decorated item has 10 decorated ones, it started by 'pb01'and is now at 'pb10', then some contributor decides to file requests to change them into 'pb001' to 'pb010', while for the next decade they won't even reach pb99 (once something reaches '99' its better to change towards '099')
    Keep an eye on it, SW figs are over 800 now, withing the next year or so, they are ALL going to be changed towards SW0001 > SW0999 in stead of SW001>SW999
    The very next day, your 'syncing' will be messed up... And all the BLID's will need to be adjusted to have them 'syncing' again.

Keep your BL data as 'master'... adjust BLID's on BO... or add them...
    > explore your error and daily logs ;-)

If you use the sync command, they will be destroyed, if you 'tag' them with ~ they won't and you can 'adjust' case by case > normal process, I only have like 10 lot's or so right now.
    BrickSync has been very stable for quite a while now. I can't recall when the last patch was needed. One solution is a super cheap hosted server. We use linode.com which i think is $20/mo. 100% uptime, and being in a datacenter somewhere, you never have to worry about spotty internet. If you want to run a command, you can just open up a terminal session and connect to the server. Probably requires a certain level of comfort with tech. The other option is an old used desktop, plugged in under a desk somewhere that stays on all the time.

@DadsAFOL current version is more then 1 year old (05-feb-2016), I think we may call that quite 'stable' with thanks to @stragus ;-)
    You're 'cheap' hosting service is valid for you, being a 'major' player/seller, many hobbiest or smaller sellers won't be able to cover such amount on monthly bases. Things do need to stay in their perspective ;-)
    Maybe you should 'rent' some of the space to those smaller sellers, recoup your montly cost and allow them too pay you virtually 'nothing'... You could actually make some benefit on it :-)

Cheers, Eric
  • @RobErNat

Thanks Eric, that's some very interesting information on BLID's in all these years I never noticed!!

quoting
    "If you use the sync command, they will be destroyed, if you 'tag' them with ~ they won't and you can 'adjust' case by case"

When you say "destroyed" does that mean deleted? and will disappear from my BO store?
    and where do you put the ~ (to tag them)
    Please bare in mind Initially BrickSync will be pulling data from BO (using owl2bsx)

I am currently deciding whether to "go bigger" or quit - this middle road just ain't cutting it - however all these issues (hostile manufacturer, Amazon limits, one sales venue trying to "cut the other out") it's a tough call!

I wonder @Stragus why you haven't got BrickSync hosted (as Eric mentioned above) - wouldn't it make you some money doing that? As well as being useful to us all - you really deserve to make some $$ off all the work you've done!

Graham
  • No, you wouldn't notice 'item ID' chances, as in many cases it's just a '0' that's being added, if you store by 'stock location' you probably wouldn't even notice at all.
    One starts noticing when you work a lot on the database(s) and when you have a lot of 'special' stuff in stock that suddenly stops syncing... (you'll see, check those daily log files once in a while).
    With destroyed I mean: set to zero if you 'retain' > no more quantity for sale...
    The tagging with ~ to avoid 'syncing' needs to be in your remarks/personal note field.

Stragus is not willing to host such thing, remember the 'hoster' is going to get all API's and/or logins to both sites... Quite risky... Personally I would trust Alexis, would trust Jason, and a few others, just in the same way I trust both BO and BL admins in those regards, but it remains 'risky business' from the point of view of many people.
    You can contribute to Stragus by making donations and/or orders, he appreciates both ;-)

As to the growth of your store Graham, think a lot what you wanna do, I did take the step to go 'professional' a couple of months back, I'm not regretting it, it has a lot of advantages, on the other hand, I'm not reaching the goals I was expecting, competition has become a 'killer' everywhere. But I'm not worried about it either, even if I don't buy a single brick in the next 5 years, I still have enough to sell for a decade... So it all comes down to how much you've invested in the past and how much you're willing to do to have it grow, if you feel the 'middle road' ain't an option, then 'change' the direction (whatever that direction might be) ;-)
  • @RobErNat
    Much appreciated Eric :smile:

on BLID submissions - I started on the 255 "missing" - first one submitted, 2nd one I hit an immediate problem.
    owl2bsx showed "no BLID" for BOID 12316, it's a fence piece - I searched # in BO catalog and it brings up the "generic" part (with 4 color options) - how do I find which color it is?

Does the BOID not relate to the EXACT part (design ID and color name)?

I haven't uploaded anything to BL yet - figured best to sort everything out first.

I will definately contribute once I'm using the app! :wink:

I can see why he wouldn't want to host other users - I guess you were just kidding with Jason!

I have a lot invested, sort of an issue because I'm now sitting on numerous sets that are OOP and likely worth the part out value - (some considerably more which is easy to solve - sell the set!)

There is a BOID for the part and a separate BOID for the part/color combo. Like 1234 and 1234-01.

I realize the hosted server isn't for everyone, but it could be put to other uses, like hosting a simple web page for your business that refers people into your BO store. Or having an "externally hosted" splash page on BL (assuming they didn't jack that up forever today).

The issue with "sharing" a server is the API traffic which is tracked by IP. If any one server had multiple BS instances running, whether it was me sharing or Stragus hosting, would probably trip the limits on API traffic to BL and get blocked.
  • Curiosity - is $20/mo for hosting truly out of reach for some people?
  • @DadsAFOL

Thanks for your input Jason, could you suggest a simple way to resolve the (254) missing BLID's?
    in the case above BrickSync showed the error on BOID 12316, which is mapped to the LEGO design ID not the design and color, in this case it would be relatively straight forward as there only 4 current colors... however If I have to go thru this 254 times, it's gonna be a long long task!

Which leads me to wonder why ( @Stragus ) doesn't BrickSync go by LEGO part #'s ?
    - on the couple of TLG part #'s I have entered, both sites pull up the part.

I'm looking into the hosted server, looks like a good option - however, couldn't I just use my website (a hidden page) to run the app or is there a reason why it specifically has to be a hosted server vs a hosted site? - That'll be my ignorance showing!

Cheers
  • @Graham Technicly BS doesn't go by any number, it's just tries to make 'matches' ;-)
    BL and BO go by partnumber whenever possible, but BS does not 'know' any number, it just tries to find a 'match' between both. The numbering system between both is different so obviously those matches need to be created when it's not a standard part ID
    BO uses and diplays many 'design ID's (the one from LEGO) a method BL does not follow as it follows it's own structure (well Peerons structure actually, as that's where the method came from). These different numbering formats makes it near impossible to have BS make the match, if the number ain't the standard partnumber, reason why BLID's and BOID's must me matched up.
    Curiosity - is $20/mo for hosting truly out of reach for some people?
    It's not a matter of 'being out of reach', it's a matter of 'is it worthed the expense'.
    Sellers need to buy product, pay selling fees, pay Paypal or Stripe fees (or others), need to invest in storage, need to buy general stuff (packing material), etc etc.
    Some of their inventory is stuck in storage for years, which means on what they do sell, they need to cover *all* of their costs. A small seller who only sells a couple of hundred $ /per month probably won't find it worthed to spend another $20 of additional 'costs'.
    Remember a lot of sellers are hobiests or small businesses 'on top' of their regular job, they mainly sell to cover their own hobby costs, for them $20 is $20 less LEGO ;-)