My biggest purchase day so far

Am I an abnormal customer? In the past 24 hours here, I bit the bullet and completed 22 orders prepped over the past few days (3,126 pieces) for ~$437. Comes out to just under $0.14/brick which includes shipping etc. Mix of new & used. Past 24 hours was not normal, I have made a lot of orders in the past 2 months but the past 24 hours was way more than I usually do, mainly to scoop up the final needed stuff for the kind of builds I want to do.

Some brand new creator sets at Lego cost around $250 give or take and may have about ~4,000 pieces which, even when accounting for taxes then a VIP Lego discount, ends up costing only $0.07/brick.

I do tend to want very specific pieces, and some rare pieces, which a packaged set won't have, but it does seem tough to avoid spending 2x the cost here typically when I'm looking for specific things.

Comments

• 28 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you are paying $0.14 per brick instead of $0.07, then you are paying, someone to part out that set, store the parts, pick your order, go to the Post office.
    I still think you are getting a good deal.
  • If you want specific and rare pieces you'll pay a premium for someone else to get them for you [by buying sets and parting out, finding the parts directly, or buying bulk/bulk used] which you could do yourself. It's not really true that 'bricks' are 0.07 a piece when you order from LEGO. That's obviously the median price for a whole assortment, none of which you may actually want.
    Parts are twice this price for you, on average, because of what you want, not the sellers.
  • I wasn't knocking anything, just being analytical and wondering if my order sizes, average was typical. Hard to tell if I'm going overboard. Obviously it's great to get pieces here that aren't in sets and not have to buy sets that have 2/3 of pieces I don't want. Just want to make sure I'm not going nuts with my buying here.
  • I brought over 4000 parts in February and it worked out at 6p per brick.
    Some bulk small parts and some for Modular sets.
  • 14¢ per part sounds pretty good to me!

You would be lucky to get close to that average thru TLG (PAB etc)

You could always buy sets - sell the MF's and keep the parts - that's how I got started, it was a very inexpensive way to build up stock of parts, then I had too many parts and started selling the surplus - that was 9 years ago!

Now I rarely buy anything - I have pretty much anything I or the kids need "in stock"

G
  • @JayB-SoCal an average of 0.14$/piece sounds quite fair to me... particulary if it includes a lot of bricks, plates and tiles.
  • Yeah, there are a few large sets I may buy soon where about 1/3 the parts I won't need and there are already parts I have that I don't need. So later in the year I'll just put up a store here and sell them off reasonably cheap - if people don't mind the slow delivery, my weekday schedule is pretty filled.
  • One more thought: Of the 80+ orders I've made here so far, almost 10 had missing parts without the store knowing. Some stores catch the issue if they are legit out of stock & have let me know ahead, and all stores have been good act rectifying (though 1 still messed up with corrections), it just seems like an abnormally high % of missing bricks.
  • when you store 100,000 items, you cannot get this right 100% of the time. If you are the sort of person who buys out a complete lot, then you are more than likely going to get items missing. We take as much care as we can to count things properly, but mistakes happen.
  • It's always the parts I really wanted, though haha
  • edited March 2017 Vote Up0Vote Down
    It's always the parts I really wanted, though haha
    That's life! :-)

The other thing to remember is sometimes stores might send out the wrong part or too many and the buyer doesn't realise or let us know about the mistake.

• The other thing to remember is sometimes stores might send out the wrong part or too many and the buyer doesn't realise or let us know about the mistake.
    Yes, quite correct, a week or 3 ago I had an order of a dozen 2x2 tiles in Dark stone, I turned out to be 'short' and 'on top' my stock said I had 34 left?? I started digging and figured out another buyer bought a larger quantity of 'black' 2x2 tiles, when I looked for those, I still had them in stock. I checked my picking list: The BO image for 'black' is looking quite 'dark stone', probably some fatigue or distraction and I just picked the wrong color... Luckely I keep a lot of 'spare' sets around, so I could easely fill my newest order, set my remaining stock to 'zero' and that problem was 'solved'... But the buyer who got the wrong color has received his order for many weeks now and not a word...
    It's not the first time this has happen't to me in many years of selling, I can live with it, but what bugs me a little on that is that buyers should realise when such happens it's usually not 'voluntary', but if they keep silent about it, the sellers store quantities are 'messed up' and so it can lead to additional 'problem orders' with other buyers...
  • It's my particular nature to count things up & check for correctness, so I may be the rare customer that verifies every order even if it means carefully counting every piece & comparing to an order. Even if it doesn't bother me very much to be missing 1 or 2 parts (presuming they're not rare & on the pricey side), I will want to let a store know - because it's good for everyone for inventories to be correct and for all I know they have a sloppy staff member they are counting on who is wrecking orders for their customers. If I don't tell the store, the next person who buys from them may not get what they think they were going to be able to get.

I work for a company where the picking process in the warehouse is extremely important and part of my job is to ensure the fulfillment flow is optimized for speed & accuracy. Selling Legos in the way that is done here is barely any different - the picking process for an order, if not controlled properly, can lead to lots of errors. You don't want picking to be searched for randomly nor counting by hand if you can help it, and you need a way to verify that the items picked match the order before they are finally packaged up.
  • @RobErNat I had thought about doing a secret test where I sent out some extra parts to see if the customer contacted me. I have a feeling I'd know what the answer would be. Saying that I think I might of had an extra part here and there myself.

I'd be interested to know if anyone uses scales for counting parts?
    mine are accurate to 1g so I only use them on bulk parts. counting 100 weighing, adding parts to another bag and checking until I have 1g more.

medium stone, dark stone and tan, dark tan are my biggest cause of errors due to looking at the colour and not the writing. Normally caught on my final check before posting, but I have done it a few times.

@JayB-SoCal I usually check my orders when they come in but rarely count the cheap bulk parts, I value my time too much, plus I'm a bit lazy! I've even ordered parts that I've had in-stock from another store because I didn't want to pick the order myself!!
  • Markyd7 (or any store reading this for) if you have trouble with the colors/shapes during pick process & you're store is big enough & worth the effort, I would suggest storing the parts in ID'd bins and using a lookup that correlates the requested part to the bin rather than the appearance of the part. Then you're picking based on ID's and not the part so you will likely then be able to pick faster & more accurately. You can then reserve doing a visual check only at the end.
  • @RobErNat
    I'd be interested to know if anyone uses scales for counting parts?
    mine are accurate to 1g so I only use them on bulk parts. counting 100 weighing, adding parts to another bag and checking until I have 1g more.

medium stone, dark stone and tan, dark tan are my biggest cause of errors due to looking at the colour and not the writing. Normally caught on my final check before posting, but I have done it a few times.
    I use scales too - they are accurate within 0.04g and also have a count function - they were cheap too - eBay. Even able to measure the small technic 1/2 pins!

I usually count in multiples of 20. Then for the small parts throw in a couple extras/ 100.

The color thing drives me crazy, some really terrible photographs - even some white parts look DSG
    I use the swatch, which helps a lot, however the dot is small, and when in a hurry sometimes get tripped up.

I wish @Lawrence he would just use the TLG image rather than all the randomness OR just use a monochrome picture with a much larger swatch "dot"...

@JayB-SoCal There are only a handful of stores with the level of inventory that would facilitate pick by part ID.
    Being a mid-range store all my parts are stored by design ID (part name), that said it has been quite some time since my last error - I do a final check before packing - which is definately worth the time!

G

• I would never use a scale to 'count' parts, I use it co 'compare' counts, for instance if I need to pick 400 times the same part (in the same color), I would count 4x100 in a seperate bag, then take the weight of the 4 bags to 'confirm' I didn't miscount any of the '100'.
    Some colors have a different weight: e.g. 100x Tan and 100x Red of the same part DOES NOT always have the same 'total' weight, so it would be foolish as a seller to count that way. On small lot counts the 'known' averages weights are a good guideline to pick and pack orders, but on higher counts I wouldn't risk it, read dozens of stories where things got really akeward when sellers used a scale 'only'.

@Markyd7 I regulary throw in extra counts (if I sell 40x part 54200, I count 41 or 42), sometimes I throw in an extra just to clear out a bag (costs me more to relist and pick 1 or 2 remaining ones) never ever a buyer says 'I got too many' ;-)
  • Wouldn't it be useful to use a scale at least inventory counts. Whether used for fulfillment, that's a different scenario, I just can't imagine stores with part counts above 200,000 being able to count anything for inventory more efficiently, Even if it's off by a few, that's inventory - not fulfillment. It's more important to get counts right for fulfillment.

@Graham I didn't specify to pick by part ID, I said to use ID'd bins and associate specific part ID's to those bins. Then, when picking, the pick list would refer to the bin & bin location, not the part ID. You print your pick list and it tells you exactly where to go to get the parts - and you don't even have to know the part, just the bin locations. Then, when you have everything picked you do the visual inspection before packing.
  • I'm quite sure large stores with bulk purchases from TLG count that way, but remain quite 'safe' on the count, for instance if they count 6500 with a scale, they probably only list 6000 wait untill those sell out then scale the rest in smaller batches.

As to stocking: my days to stock by color or by part type or by category are over, 99% of my stock is entirely based on box numbers and bagnumbers, it gives much more flexibility storagewise and it improves picking times. The only seperation I have is technic parts, they go in seperated boxes (but the system remains the same) as oftenly orders with regular parts include less technics, and the opposite is also oftenly true. Apart from that I try to isolate the larger parts that don't sell that often into seperate bins.
    I started to flip over my entire inventory that way in oktober, took a while to adjust and move everything, but a true time saver on picking now.
  • Yup, @RobErNat your experience is what I would believe is the right track when the picking process becomes overwhelming. Human error is way too likely when picking by appearance, whereas ID'ing pick locations and optimizing the flow to pick by number based on location becomes incredibly easy to manage. If something is off, it's usually because the location or bag is marked wrong and that's easy to detect & fix with an order review at the end of a picking process. Another thing I would recommend for stores who have the time & extra resources is to pre-bag popular parts into batches of 10. If someone orders 30 of something, just grab 3 bags. Then consolidate bags at the end of the picking, right before shipping. It should be possible to pick even large orders for someone in just a few minutes this way, whereas picking by appearance would potentially take 30 minutes and be prone to error.
  • Pre-Bagging is not a good idea. We have tried it. What happens is when someone orders less than a bag, say one, you then have to somehow mark that bag as not containing the full 10. Once you start having to label individual bags, this takes extra time, and the next time someone orders just one, you then have to search your bin for the one bag labelled as containing less than 10, in order to pick from that bag again.
  • @Minifigforlife depends on how you work. For small parts I oftenly set 'bulk' options, taking part 2780 technic pin as an example: Bulk on 40 and 100. And I have over 4700 atm. I prebag say 20 of bulk 40 and 20 of bulk 100= 2800, that's over half my stock, those prebags are sealed and it's easy to keep them seperated within the same box (little label x40 or x100). When selling larger amounts I can combine > 65 > bag of 40 + 25 loose ones, 80 > 2 bags of 40, 150 > 1 bag of 100+1bag of 40+10 loose ones. But those higher 'loose' counts rarely happen as in most cases people will go for the 'bulk' amount, and so much easier. I still have enough loose ones to pick any kind of lower amounts in orders, and when I run out of prepacked ones, I just make new prepacks. Occassionly I may run out of loose ones, then I just open a bag of prepacked ones (and it would confirm my remaining stock (if remaining stock is 1111 and I have 7 bags of 40 and 8 bags of 100, then I should have at least 31 loose ones).

This method won't work when your bulk is 1 and certainly not on low quantity counts, but it does work when there are bulksettings, as people are tempted to buy the bulkamount as there is a little discount on it ;-)
    The idea to pre-bag low counts of 10 is not something I would do at the moment, but I can see some advantage in the long run when my store grows, I would only prepack half (in ziplocks) and keep the other half to fill random quantities. Or I would simply make 2 listings, with seperate stocklocations, one listing for bulk=1 another for bulk=10. A buyer could then buy any kind of amount.
  • I don't pre-bag anything for sending, but I do have bags of fixed numbers, usually 100 of common parts, so if I get a large order I use the scales and have my "100" already counted to set the scale, then re-bag them and weigh out the amount for the order + a few to cover any scale error.

I have had an interesting experience of pre-bagging as a buyer. I did a large order which included 400 of one part and 200 or another, the seller must have been a pre-bagger as I got 60 bags for 2 parts, ten in each little baggie!!

• Pre-Bagging is not a good idea. We have tried it. What happens is when someone orders less than a bag, say one, you then have to somehow mark that bag as not containing the full 10. Once you start having to label individual bags, this takes extra time, and the next time someone orders just one, you then have to search your bin for the one bag labelled as containing less than 10, in order to pick from that bag again.
    The idea is to pre-bag a bulk of the parts & keep some portion loose. No need to pre-bag every piece, just maybe 2/3 at any given time. So if anyone orders 35 pieces, you grab 3 bags + 5 loose pieces & every once in a while re-bag when you have inventory increases.
  • Yes, I understand the concept. My point was that when someone orders more loose than you have you have to pick from a pre-bag and then re-label it to say it is not a pre-bag anymore. That is more effort than the benefit, and more risk if you forget to do it and the next order for 10 goes out as a 9.
  • I think there's some mis-understanding. Let's take an example:

- You have 300 parts.
    - You pre-bag 200 of them by quantities of 10, you leave 100 loose.

Someone orders 24. You grab 2 bags and 4 loose, pour the pieces out of the bags into a final bag during the ship prep, put aside the pre-bag bags for re-use. Or, if your source of bags is super-cheap then just leave bagged as-is.

Someone orders 37. You grab 3 bags & 7 loose. Etc.

Never once would you need to take some pieces out of the pre-bagged bags, if you need less than the amount that is in a bag, you pick from the loose stock.

Where does the re-labeling come in? You don't take out of the pre-bagged, you just grab the maximum you can that matches the order and the balance you take from the portion of loose stock. Every once in a while when you replenish your inventory, you pre-bag more of the parts but always keep some portion (roughly 1/3) loose.
  • JayB. I will have to re-think my scenario. You are correct. I just know from past experience that I have ended up being unsure that each pre-bagged bag, contains the correct number. And have ended up emptying them all into one bag to prevent mistakes.
  • No worries, just thinking of suggestions. It really depends on your volume I guess and how often you have to pick from multiple lots on an order. This would be easier I think if the parts weren't so small & hard to count. Not many businesses have this issue! Actually, I can't even think of any other business where tiny little pieces of something are bought in various lots & counts like this... maybe plant seed businesses?