Orange buttons sometimes just disappear with nothing happening

I mostly use Safari on OSX. Kind of an important feature - often leaving one with a feeling that a double-charge might happen. 1 out of 6 or 7 times that orange button is pushed to complete an order, it just disappears and nothing else happens on the page.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have had that happen 4-5 times now. Like you I also use safari on OS X . Each time it has happened I have gone back to the PayPal section and hoped that it wasn't a double charge but I don't think it does until you get the order complete page. its a bug for sure.
  • Thank you for reporting this, just to clarify, once you click the final orange checkout button, does the loading icon appear? Or does the button simply disappear? Furthermore, if you leave the page for a while, does it ever complete? Additionally, have you gone back, tried again, and it was successful, despite not changing any order details?
  • Hi Lawrence, every time it has happened to me, the button just disappears . So I click on the expanded PAY section where the Paypal button is, pay again which then brings me back to the complete order. Then get the final confirmation page, followed by email notification. Only then do I know it is complete. At no time does the orange button reappear if left alone.
  • Hey Lawrence, it happens sometimes with the other orange buttons (like choosing shipping address). I believe the loading icon appears for an extremely brief period of time (less than 1/3 of a second) and then the orange button disappears. I never left the page for too long before taking an action - at most maybe 20 seconds. And, yeah, it's always successful when I go through all the steps again. It doesn't appear like any double charges are happening, it's likely just a front-end kludge.

I'm a seasoned web developer, let me know if you need a little help debugging or bounce any thoughts over.
  • Don't know if it's related or if it's a Safari thing but another thing I see a lot when I part out. When I click Submit and there are one or more parts without a price, I briefly see a message sliding down at the top of the window about missing price. But most of the time it's so quick that it's barely noticeable something popped up at all.
  • I'm having trouble trying to replicate or work out what might be because of this Safari checkout issue. If it happens again, could you please let me know the exact time, so I can see if I can correlate it with anything in the logs.
  • OK. I think it's a JavaScript issue, though, which may not show up in the logs. My guess would be you have JS code which is set to avoid double-clicks accidentally submitting twice on the form action, so you make the button go away as soon as a click happens. But I think somehow the the button is going away prematurely and you lose the call to submit the form.

I didn't look at your code but if you're using a timeout/timer method then Safari may be behaving too asynchronously and you may need to control the flow with a callback based on an AJAX fetch to a backend service that basically responds with "it's OK to submit the form now" - which tracks repeated posts on the same form (form having a unique ID). Then you have a listener on the page which just waits for the "success" signal, disables the button and makes the call to submit(). That will work around any asynchronous behaviors.

I know, sounds pretty over-architected but cross-browser is really tough when one of them mis-behaves. I hate contorting stuff just for 1 browser.
  • Fortunately we do have logging in place for JavaScript issues, so with an idea of time we may be able to narrow that down to what may appear as an unrelated issue.
  • "I didn't look at your code but if you're using a timeout/timer method then Safari may be behaving too asynchronously and you may need to control the flow with a callback based on an AJAX fetch to a backend service that basically responds with "it's OK to submit the form now"

Now I may consider myself a bit of a geek as I am in IT, but man that sentence brings it to a whole new level !! LOL
  • Fortunately we do have logging in place for JavaScript issues, so with an idea of time we may be able to narrow that down to what may appear as an unrelated issue.
    OK I'll be doing a bunch of orders again soon & will let you know. I finally saw what you're using on the page to track JS errors/issues, that should catch it if it triggers a console error.