Changes to Brick Owl

As a result of a letter threatening legal action we have received from BL, I'm afraid we will need to make some changes to Brick Owl in the coming days.

We will no longer be displaying BL names or numbers anywhere on the website. This means there will be some items that have no name. Over time we will rectify the names and encourage you to help do the same by the edit tab on items.

The BL Sync feature will be disabled on the 28th of September, around 4PM GMT. For sellers that currently make use of this you have a few options.
- Choose a website (BL or BO) and run the entirety of your store on that website
- Choose specific sections of your store, and run those sections of your store on one website, and the other sections on the other website. For example, you could have your Parts on BO and sets on BL.
- Run separate inventories, so for example, keep your current inventory as it is on BL, but part out new sets into BO, or vice versa etc.
- Run stores on both sites and update your inventory manually

A few points to note.

Judging by the actions of the new BL management, it would appear the BL Catalog is no longer freely available to anyone as Dan had originally intended (see here http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=661723)

Rather than the community having one unified Parts catalog, there is likely to be fragmentation, making it more difficult to compare parts on different websites.

Although I do not believe copyright legislation extends to names and part numbers, we do not have the resources or desire to find out whether that is the case in court.

For reference, the original letter can be viewed here https://www.brickowl.com/sites/default/content/docs/bl_letter.png

I apologise for the short notice, we had hoped to discuss/resolve this issue with BL but they have yet to respond.

Comments

• 79 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Well there you go ... not entirely unexpected no? To me it shows that 1. they fear competition (and rightly so) and 2. they don't know how to handle competition. Instead of complaining about some issues they would better put their resources in making a better product.
  • It would be nice if they could communicate with their existing members.

It is shame to read on their forums what their members are having to put up with being left in the dark all the time.

Cannot say I did not see this coming due to their unwillingness to clarify anything.

I do hope BL will has a bright future after it has been updated as promised by the new owner, and that they can resolve their current issues their bill payers are faced with.

There is nothing wrong with healthy competition, it keeps you on top of your game (or should)
  • I hope this forces people from BL to come over here if they have to choose. With their slow and broken website, non-existent communication, and now a seas-and-desist order from BL. I hope people come over here.

I have your back BrickOwl.
    Chris
  • Final nail in the coffin AFAIC - tired of their anti-competitiveness and their attitude.
  • I will continue as I have been, and thank you for making things clear here. I respect the decision you made.

If I had less orders here I would have more time to help with the catalog, for sure I will make time in the first days. :)

If you want to divide some things up I would gladly focus on the Technic, electric, pneumatic categories. I have most of everything here and some names I think need changing anyway. Like whoever changed names of the versions of p6542 , great change.

So thinking on the positive side of everything, this another chance for you to set yourself apart with logical names not required to fit their convention. Names people would Google, push back with compliance and a better user friendly product.

Question; not trying to push anything.

Would BL part numbers be allowed as a tag?
  • Can we have an exact time when the BL sync feature will be disabled? What route I am going to take with my store is going to be something I wrestle with until the last moment I am sure. If the volume here was just a little higher, out of principle my loyalty is with BO....but right now the business data suggests the smart move would be otherwise.

Lawrence I wish you the best, no matter what route this site takes you. You have already proven yourself in my eyes as more competent than any of the people currently facilitating the "other site" I feel I must call it now. I was happy to continue on with business as usual with the previous "other site" announcements, but disabling this feature obviously means I can not simply continue my "civil disobedience." My advice is always "fight the power" but I can also admit in hindsight that was not always the wisest move in all of my past personal/business dealings. I hope your foresight in this matter is not out of fear of protecting what you have now, but instead fighting for what your dream of this site SHOULD be.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Patrick
    Hoosier Brick

On a more sarcastic side note now, perhaps the "other site" should just pony up a nice some for this site to use as the foundation of "other site" 2.0 and make Lawrence and his team rich for their contributions to furthering the LEGO community ;)
  • Can we have an exact time when the BL sync feature will be disabled?
    Admin said Septeber 28th the feature will be disabled.
    The BL Sync feature will be disabled on the 28th of September...
  • @Admin The letter says, "We demand that you immediately cease providing the services that you are currently providing at www.brickowl.com."

That sounds to me like a site shutdown, with the stuff earlier in the letter being reasoning for shutting down. Do you think you'll be able to keep the site up if you just eliminate all the BL stuff? Or are they going to be able to make enough of a case that your catalog here already contains too much BL proprietary data?
  • @Loremonger As far as I am concerned, once I implement the changes mentioned above, the issues mentioned in the letter will be resolved. I do not know this is the case though as they have not responded to my previous contact.
  • edited September 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    That sounds to me like a site shutdown, with the stuff earlier in the letter being reasoning for shutting down. Do you think you'll be able to keep the site up if you just eliminate all the BL stuff? Or are they going to be able to make enough of a case that your catalog here already contains too much BL proprietary data?
    This seems unlikely to me when the TOS change post at Bricklink encouraged the existence of competitors. I would be very surprised if this was on the radar compared to the "metadata" being the context.

"........While we welcome the arrival of new Lego trading platforms that encourage competition and incite us to innovate even more........."

snippit from http://www.bricklink.com/message.asp?ID=756253

But I am just a bystander with an opinion.

Joe
  • Well, I sat on the fence and continued to list my sets on BL. But their action of retroactively usurping the terms of previous contributions in their catalog has pushed me to finalize setting up my store here. I've already fragmented my inventory listing between BL and ebay, why not add another into the mix? I'll be referring any of my BL/ebay customers to this site because I like how things are run here!
  • Can we have an exact time when the BL sync feature will be disabled?
    Admin said Septeber 28th the feature will be disabled.
    The BL Sync feature will be disabled on the 28th of September...
    So is that at 12:01 AM Sep 28th UK time? Many stores sync their inventory many, many times a day. Perhaps a generic day is fine with you, but I would like to give every last bit to BO that I can if I am forced to withdraw entirely. Septermber 28th is not very specific in a global marketplace where that date does not start at the same time for each store, hence the reason I asked for an exact time and not just the date. If I am unsure I would obviously have to disable everything well ahead of midnite GMT possibly missing out on giving customers a reason to come back to BO looking for their LEGO needs in the future.
  • I've given a more specific time above, but I will probably forget and do it later in the day.
  • Here is my opinion as an onlooker, and a small time start out seller, and for what my opinion is worth and what I have read on various sites.

I know that opinions will differ from new and established sellers and buyers.

I am new to this and BO works perfectly for me, whereas I started on BL and abandoned ship 1) because it was not user friendly in my opinion and 2) because I could see the site was in a state by information readily available on the internet, I was forced to delete my account over there as I knew that I would not be able to put up with the abandonment and site issues over there, however I keep looking back to see if anything has changed, and am greatly disappointed more and more day by day.

Lawrence has done and is still doing a brilliant job with Brick Owl, and I know he would not abandon and let site issues continue to affect the users.

They say do not put all your eggs in one basket, but I would rather do that here on BO than put some of them in a basket which obviously has a hole in the bottom.

I am sure sellers agree that the more places you can have your items available the better, therefore they (as the ones who pay the bills) would support alternative venues.

Unfortunately with all that is going on at the moment, I have to consider abandoning this altogether, which is partly why my store is closed at the moment. I would like to see what effective and sensible solution comes out of all this if any.

My support goes to all the sellers and buyers affected by this.

Sorry if all my comments are all over the place, so much running round my head at the moment, and I hope I have expressed how I feel and what I see in a way you can understand.
  • I've given a more specific time above, but I will probably forget and do it later in the day.

Thank you very much for adding a time, as someone who really wants to stay here, but won't know exactly what to do...probably even after the deadline I want to make sure I can wake up- sync everything up one last time and close one shop until I decide further. While the "other site" hopes this will damage the owl irreparably, I see only the sellers and buyers being hurt as they will be forced to choose one over the other. Again, best wish to the owl team.
  • Is anyone else considering a split inventory? I have operated on different inventories from the start therefore the inability to synchronize won't affect me. I have a full time job and did not want to risk ever selling an item on both sites at the same time.

Over time I have been slowly transferring more stock over to Brick Owl. My Brick Owl store is now almost half the size of the other one (but still small :-)) and I predict an overtaking manoeuvre sooner rather than later.

This is a fantastic place to buy/sell lego. I hope people consider splitting their inventory instead of opting to leave. Lawrence et al behind Brick Owl deserve our support after the amazing job they have done / are still doing to bring this site to life.
  • Thank you for the kind words.

For anyone considering the split inventory option, I thought I should mention how you actually do this. If you currently have your entire inventory on BO, after you have synced up any outstanding orders, you can delete your inventory using the Mass Inventory updating, at the bottom of the inventory screen on here. After that, when you use the BL sync feature, when you get the file from BL, use the drop downs on their to select specific sections of your inventory, for example, new parts only. You will need to make sure you each time you use the BL Sync.
  • Will we still be able to upload from the .bsx file from Brickstore?
  • Will we will be still be able to upload XML/CSV updates too?
  • since bl ltd have stolen the lego community database ( i dont remember getting paid for my contributions to it ) and now they are seeking to threaten other sites that use the bl ids , can you not just simple prefix the bricklink ids with bo , this creating a new id
    eg 1x3 brick arch 4490 would become bo4490 .
    another suggestion would be since contributors on bl never got paid for building the catalog , why not divert 0.25% of brick owls income to purchase lego sets which can be prizes for a monthly draw on brick owl , everytime someone makes a catalog contribution they get a ticket , this way more people would add to the catalog in the hope of winning some free lego :)
  • another suggestion would be since contributors on bl never got paid for building the catalog , why not divert 0.25% of brick owls income to purchase lego sets which can be prizes for a monthly draw on brick owl , everytime someone makes a catalog contribution they get a ticket , this way more people would add to the catalog in the hope of winning some free lego :)
    This is what encouraged many of us to add to the catalog at the start. You can still get catalog points (see http://brickowl.com/points) for contributing though most of the prizes are gone.

Brian

• increase the fees from 2.5% to 3% , use the extra 0.5% to buy monthly catalog contribution prizes , the cat will quickly grow .
  • @polarbomber: great idea! I've added some stuff to the catalog already and am now eagerly waiting to add some more so I can go for the higher price. It's a great incentive and it shows the website cares about your contribution.
  • Since changes are going to happen with the division of my inventory in the next 2 days and I'm sure with other sellers' inventory. Can an email be sent to those buyers that have active carts today. I know that wiping out the inventory to load just the NEW parts to the inventory here will empty all items in the Active Carts. (Have to empty my inventory once before and had this issue). This would be frustrating to me to find my Active Cart empty if it took me time to find the items I needed suddenly gone with no notice.

• Is it possible to do a sort in the inventory to show me ONLY the Used or New Items? I could then only delete the Used items from my inventory.
  • Wow! I was just directed here by a BL member and never knew anything about this before. I am pretty surprised, but at the same time not that much.

The only thing this has gotten me to do is do a final sync, and get my payment and shipping methods working so that I can use this site as well. As I have a very small inventory, it won't be too bad for me.

Things like base part numbers don't belong to them, they are made up by TLG. Only things like minifig numbers and codes for decorated parts are their's.

Instead of now coming up with a new numbering system for decorated parts, I would say forget the numbering system and come up with something new and superior. For example, you could go into the part listing, and then there would be sub parts for the different patterns.

Good luck to both Bricklink and Brick Owl. I think there is the possibility for multiple Lego marketplaces to exist.

Kevin
  • @johnsma2000 at first I disagreed with you on the email to buyers, would like buyers to remain oblivious to the whole BO/BL issue but I think if it was a "site update" type of email with no hints of the legal issue that would be a good thing. I agree as a buyer losing a cart stinks!!!

@kevin.nxt Welcome! Enjoy reading your posts on the other forum :)

Tracy

• @Admin
    I'm sticking with you, Lawrence: -

You've done a great job and you deserve to be rewarded financially.
    You are a fellow "AFoL" NOT a commercial business venture.

All BL care about is $$$ (and lots of it) - they don't give a damn about small sellers, they made that perfectly clear with their little "round table" BS.

I feel very strongly given the type of orders I get here vs "the other place" that WE are serving other AFoL's and fans - I like that!

NOW regarding the threats (which is all they are) - don't forget they are based in China, there is no longer ANY agreements between the UK and HK if anything the relationship is very frosty LoL.
    Given that the chinese govrnmnt endorse chinese rip off's I doubt a chineses company would even get a day in a UK court to have a go at you!
    But yes caution is best.

Spread the word folks - BL(HK) Ltd is stealing from the community - and if not theft, then it is certainly immoral - "legal" (I imagine) because they were granted "permission" by individual contributors :O

I think it is likely that date is when they will finally show BL2 (would have to be in a buggy Beta)
    Will it hurt them or BO? Well that's up to the sellers and buyers, if there are sellers here, buyers will come.

You have a relationship with both Brickset and Re-Brickable - I feel they could both be persuaded to stay with you.

The future looks good, we'll get thru this.

And please add me to the list of helpers - i'll do what I can

Graham
  • I did not read all the comments here, but please do not give up easily. Please get good legal advice. Monopolization is NOT part of an open market system and is legally prohibited in most of the countries - in the U.S.A. as well, I guess. And the copyright infringements you are accused: Please let them be checked!

You have a strong opponent with a strong community but there are a lot of people waiting for something like BrickOwl. So please fight!
  • I'm greatly disappointed to read the cease-and-desist letter from BL. Maybe one day they'll get a similar kind of notice from TLG.

They've just drawn a line in the sand and now I don't feel like buying anymore over there. Buying on Brick Owl is easier anyway - I don't have to worry about losing my cart or suddenly getting logged out.

Thanks, Lawrence, for your dedicated work. As others have commented, this is a great chance to shed that musty old BL mantle. :)
  • @Admin
    I'm sticking with you, Lawrence: -

The future looks good, we'll get thru this.

And please add me to the list of helpers - i'll do what I can

Graham
    Same here, will start contributing to the catalog shortly (once we figure out how to... and have set up our "studio").... :)

We will do this freely.... (so the photo's etc we make and upload are "public domain" and can be used as suited! (by everyone (would like to ex) since we feel no one (except maybe TLG) has the monopoly on the bricks catalog... and we think and are pretty sure this would be more in line with Dan's original idea than what is going on right now....,

Go BrickOwl, Go!!!!!!
  • I asked...
    Would BL part numbers be allowed as a tag?
    Seems like a silly question now, kind of an obvious no...

So it looks like BSX file upload is out now too. I will not be taking any risks using this method now.

I would personally suggest disabling the BSX file stuff now, if not just to look out for people who may not know the issues or that they may be "detected".

Being one who was pushing for this angle of stock manipulation I am disappointed that I now feel the need to stop.

That said I added over 2000 parts last night manually and it was not *that much extra work. :)

• I thought it might be worth noting, from the end of this month onwards, unless BL decide to have a sudden change of heart, the BO catalog will irreversibly begin to diverge from the BL catalog. There will be no mapping of IDs between sites making it impossible for users to move stores/wishlists between sites. As new parts are released, sites will make different decisions about how they should be named and categorised. It will essentially divide the community, and other community websites such as Rebrickable/Brickset and any future software would have to choose which site to support/use as a catalog.

It may be a bit melodramatic, but on the plus side, someone needs to start writing the movie script.
  • Fine, so it's no longer the BL standard. Can we at least keep on track with a Peeron standard for parts and a Brickset standard for sets?

No use completely reinventing the LEGO Wheel Hub 8 x 11.2 with Centre Groove (42610)

:D

Brian
  • I am willing to help. Since they are taking this stance I propose we build a new catalog and numbering system that is more precise and user friendly and present it to the other venues and go from there. Maybe they will be willing to adopt the new modern style instead. What you have done here so far is outstanding. Keep it up!
  • @DagsBricks Brickset if our source for the sets, I do not intend to diverge from them. If we get sets before Brickset I would let Huw know.

With regards to Peeron, you can already map Peeron ID to items if you wish. I had intended to become a sort of central resource for item IDs from all the different websites and not create any of our own IDs.
  • Good to know your relationship with Huw is positive, amicable, and two way.

Regarding Peeron, do you mean tagging or outright using their part ID's?

Brian
  • We have the ID mapping feature, you can map the Peeron ID to our items. We don't "use" it, just display it and allow it to be searched.
  • I am trying to get clarity (and I can never find anything useful in the BL forum). If I retain my store inventory at both sites and going forward choose to manually maintain those inventories (manually adjusting quantities on one site if something sells on the other) is that permissible and what is the risk? Will BL ban sellers who do that?
  • It seems that that will be permissible. It may get difficult to keep up with if your store is large. You will also need to add the same items to both sites if you intend to do so. Or just add your parts to one site.

HTH,

Brian
  • @emilewski you can do that, I have added it to the list of options.
  • My inventory is stored by (BL) part numbers. Changing everything will be terrible work (which I cannot assume at the moment). How about putting BL IDs in the personal comment? Will this be allowed? Still awful work for picking etc, but at least it would be possible to FIND the parts. There are many parts which I now cannot find, and even would not be able to edit/photograph as it's impossible to say which part it is if the only indication is the price for which I listed it.
  • @Alandine I am in the same boat. I plan to just deal with it for now, in the early days of BO the BL part numbers were not here so I just had to look them up before I started pulling orders.

For long term I am not sure what I want to do. We have our parts in numerical order as we provide a job training program and our employees generally have no LEGO knowledge so I think storage by type is out for us. Hoping someone has suggestions or inspiration will strike! We are almost at 100,000 parts so it makes my head hurt to think about it.

@emilewski That is what we will do for now. We did that in the beginning and it worked just fine for us.

Tracy
  • Would another way be to do personal orders daily to remove the sold items from inventory here? Can there be a way to do the order where payment to ourselves is not necessary? This would make it easier for me to do an inventory adjustment?

I'm working on a system to maintain my inventory on my own computer so I would like the BL id to remain somewhere until I finish. It's work that I can't finish in a day.
  • Something I feel needs to be said, probably not just on my behalf.

Thank you to @Loremonger and @Dagsbricks and all the others who are acting as a voice for Brick Owl on the BL forum.

BL members are entitled to their opinions on what is happening/happened/whatever, but they need to get their facts right first and I for one am glad that they are being corrected as necessary.

My continued support goes to Brick Owl and @Lawrence.

I also wish that BL can continue to move forward and be what it once was for the community and it's members.

There we go I said it and I hope it is not out of place.
  • No it's not out of place. Both of them have been on point with their opinions without inflaming, along with a few others.

Kudos.

Pam
  • @Nathvw: yeah I concur. When reading the BL forum I came across lots of post accusing BO of doing something that was clearly wrong. I even read a post about someone accusing and stating in the same sentence: "I never operated on BO so I don't know the details". That one made me chuckle!
  • @Nathvw lol. No problem. I'm sure the time I've spent on here and "the site that shall not be named" during office hours is probably more than I should be. Thankfully, I don't have any pressing deadlines!

Enoch
  • edited September 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Alandine I am in the same boat. I plan to just deal with it for now, in the early days of BO the BL part numbers were not here so I just had to look them up before I started pulling orders.

For long term I am not sure what I want to do. We have our parts in numerical order as we provide a job training program and our employees generally have no LEGO knowledge so I think storage by type is out for us. Hoping someone has suggestions or inspiration will strike! We are almost at 100,000 parts so it makes my head hurt to think about it.
    Hi Tracy,
    I have yet to open my store on Brickowl as I'm still doing the work required (moving from BL due to the drama over there), but for the last 10+ years I have run a pretty large (>300,000 parts) store of BL and wanted to let you know how we do it. Not saying this is going to work for you necessarily, but it has worked amazingly well for us and there may be a spark of an idea for you to use.

We have a larger inventory and everything is stored in either plastic tote drawers, tubs or some custom made smaller drawers that have compartments in them (for smaller lots) which are arranged in rows in our stockroom.
    Each drawer has a consecutive number ranging from D-0001 thru to something like D-1023, the tubs are similarly numbered, but are prefixed with T-00X thru T-XXX.

I have some fairly old photos of the setup here (it has since improved more):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjmorton/4576367267/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjmorton/4576995960/

We don't put our inventory away in any specific order (so, we don't sort by item type or anything like that) instead, the parts go in to any drawer that is available. For larger qty lots, we try and use one drawer per lot, but for items we only have a small qty of, then they go into Ziploc bags which are placed into the smaller drawers.

The key to being able to actually find items when packing orders is using the Seller Remarks field (this was Bricklink remember, I'm assuming BO has something similar) to record the drawer number. So, if I'm putting 1,400 2 x 4 bricks away into drawer 345 then the seller remarks field will have 'D-345' recorded. If it's a smaller qty lot that has gone into a shared drawer, then the Ziploc bag will get a label with the drawer number AND bag number such as :'D-345-012'.

So, when an order comes in, and we look at the invoice/pick list, it will tell us exactly which drawers to go to. I don't need to remember if the item is a 'Brick/Arch, or Brick/Curved', instead we can go straight to the correct drawers and pick the items we need. We did tests on this and it reduced our average pick time from 4.5 minutes (we get some big orders sometimes) to around 63 seconds.

We even got quite sophisticated on BL as I wrote some custom inventory software that as part of listing new items would automatically choose a drawer based on the size of the items/qty, which drawers were available and whether I already had each item in stock. I also had another piece that when an order came in, a picking list would be printed out on a receipt printer. Looking forward to redoing my workflow for BrickOwl.

• I use the very same system just a different numbering system. My store is normally larger than it is now. I have 6 of these,

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200367213_200367213

Drawer numbers 1-90 are my new stock and 91-360 are my used stock. I also have 15 or so of these

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-5-Shelf-Storage-Unit-Light-Taupe/8251817

loaded up with cases of these

http://www.dollartree.com/household/storage-organization/Plastic-Storage-Boxes-with-Lids/500c541c541p330495/index.pro

for larger mostly used items that consume to much of the smaller drawers. I number each shelf as A-Z with each tub being A1-A40 through Z1-Z40 etc...

It works for me and as rjmorton said the pick time is very fast and inventory is where it is supposed to be, most of the time.

Brick Owl does have a comments section much like Bricklinks remarks section and it works the same.

Plastic Paradise