Costly Mistake.

Just had an order for a couple of these. Unfortunately for the me the dims were wrong and the height wasn't 2mm but 30mm!
http://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-medium-stone-gray-ship-hull-8-x-28-x-3-with-reddish-brown-top-92709

Is there some sort of safeguard against mistakes like this, apart from Lawrence checking them?

What's the protocol with the customer when something like this happens?
This time I'll post as they're a brand new Brick Owl.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Unfortunately sometimes there can be mistakes with the dimensions, but fortunately these instances are rare. We deal with instances like this on a case-by-case basis. If you send an e-mail to the e-mail address on the contact page with details of the postage differences, we can get that resolved for you.
  • edited December 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Markyd7 That's unfortunate indeed, dunno if we should blame anyone for this, the reality is the 'raw' data was initially imported from BL (and if you check the item there you'll understand), then BO converted 'stud dimensions' into metric dimensions (Missing or no height= 0 > 0.2 mm on BO).
    The conversion worked well on many items, an occasional 'fluke' like this was/is unavoidable, I remember an issue once with 'plates' that had a similar issue with a heights leading to 'flatrate' for myself (less then 5mm), not a big deal (compared to yours), but I went over every similar 'plate' to make sure the height was right (rectified a bunch).
    Bottomline, a hard lesson, you certainly can't blame your buyer, can't really blame BO as it only relied on existing data, you can't blame another contributor, as as long they don't have that item, they might not even notice, and you can't blame yourself, as it implies you would need to check every 'special' item in your store... The only option left, 'for the sake of others' is to submit height changes for this item and similar ones, so that the issue is 'solved' for others...
    As to the protocol... At no time a buyer can be blamed for errors in the database when it comes down to weights and sizes, so the only options left are either to unitarily cancel the order ( but I certainly don't advise it, neither support it) or either 'eat it'. I consider a situation like this 'cost of doing business' on a website that isn't entirely reliable on weights and sizes (luckely enough, in most cases in favor of the seller, with the option to refund shippingcost excesses)
  • @Lawrence I notice height has been 'adjusted' in the mean while, however it didn't adjust to all 'childs' (matter of speak), could you recheck those please. Unless you need seperate submissions for those...
  • Agreed RobErNat, sorry forgot to mention I'd adjusted the height.

Cheers Lawrence.