New user, please point me to advice on catalog?

I'm trying to map a bunch of parts/counterparts that I have in my brickstock store, as I set up my brickowl, but can't find them in the catalog.
For example http://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-pearl-dark-gray-pearl-dark-gray-shadow-stormtrooper-minifig-torso-76382
I have just the torso, not the whole assembly.

I also have several stickered parts that don't show when I look at the set inventories.

I'm sure there is a help link somewhere. Would someone point me to it?

Thanks!
OOO_Shiny

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi there, I can't comment on your first question as I only sell on BO and have no experience mapping across from other sites. On the second matter stickered parts don't tend to show in the set inventories; the unstickered parts do (or should, depending on its accuracy) and the sticker sheet is listed as a 'part'. Sometimes searching for a set number will also show any stickered or decorated parts associated with it, although again this comes down to whether the name has the set number included (e.g. "Round 2x2 tile with sticker from set XXXX"). I have spent many a long hour trawling through the catalog, comparing Peeron and Bricklink inventories to find an obscure stickered part! If the part has no image or accurate description I have also occasionally contacted other stores for advice/double checking. I can then change the entry on BO and add a picture. Hopefully, over time there will be fewer catalog entries with vague descriptions, helping everyone whether seller or buyer.
    P.S. welcome to BO!!
  • edited December 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    OOOShiny
    Well 'Free US shipping' (I'm guessing that's your name as you seem to sign a lot of your forum messages with it Hahahaha :-D - just kidding, don't actually know your firstname, maybe you should post it once in a while, unless it's a secret :wink: - )
    for starters, torsos (without arms) are not 'automaticly' in the database. TLG produces 'torso assemblies' and delivers them like that, reason they end up in the BO database only under that form (as of 07/2013). So torsos on their own need to be added manually, personally I only do so when I need them in the database (just as in your case now) or when I have a lot of free time to spend (becomes rare LOL). Your starting point to add it in catalog is BOID 854065 > select Edit, then search for the blue button 'create decorated version' and you go from there.
    Important: before you do so, it is important you rename the 'torso with arms'.
    Example: lets assume a torso with arms is called 'bride torso', rename that one to something like 'bride torso with green neckless with white arms and yellow hands' (obviously the 'green neckless' and 'white arms' and 'yellow hands' are just a random example). When you create the torso on itself, name it 'bride torso with green neckless' and refer to the BOID of the torso with arms so Lawrence knows to what assembly it is related. Once approved, you can edit the inventory of the 'torso with arms' to have a 'non colored' torso, white arms(pair) and yellow hands(2x) and you can edit the 'torso without arms' to submit the BLID (non colored version). Once all that's done, your part will start to 'sync' (the inventory of the part is of less importance for the latter, it can also be done later, or by someone else).

The same pretty much applies for 'stickered' items, as of 07/2013 stickered items are usually not in the BO database, it means they need to be created... Some people on BL are very 'busy' adding all stickered parts for each set, neat, but in a lot of cases, just a waste of time, just add them in the BO catalog when you need to them (aka you want to sell them). Starting point is the original part > edit > add stickered version, name it, add 'alternate ID' (aka BLID) and done, once approved and you sync, it will be listed. Obviosly you still need to provide other details like image and add it to the inventory of the set (preferably).

Hopefully this answers your questions ;-)

Cheers, Eric
  • edited December 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Jay37
    If you're having trouble finding a decorated/stickered item (from before 07/2013) in the BO database just pop me a mail, I can usually find it pretty fast, rename it and attach it to the set (quite a bit of work to do there).
    Don't rely on Peeron numbers on here, as there is a serious mismatch due to the original import from Peeron + BL + Other sites, there are gaps between Peeron and BL for starters and it is causing errors, particulary on heads, torsos and decorated legs, but also on other 'printed' elements. Stickered items are not so much of a problem, as they simply do not exist on Peeron, BUT: it is particulary stickered items on BL who created the 'gaps' between BL and Peeron that are now causing mismatches on BO... Reason why one should never rely on a Peeron number here on BO to list/buy something if/when there is no image (obviously when there is an image, there is a 'visual' reference).
    And you're right, over time all this data will be filled, but it takes a lot of time, and as with BL, the number of people 'filling data' (even when they have hundreds of items listed in their store without an image) is just 'slim', so they 'profit' from the selling venue, but don't bother 'building' it (which would be to their own advantage) by providing images (for starters). Ah well, same old thing I suppose :neutral:
    Good to see some new people around who are 'willing' to chime in :+1:
  • @Jay37
    If you're having trouble finding a decorated/stickered item (from before 07/2013) in the BO database just pop me a mail, I can usually find it pretty fast, rename it and attach it to the set (quite a bit of work to do there).
    Don't rely on Peeron numbers on here, as there is a serious mismatch due to the original import from Peeron + BL + Other sites, there are gaps between Peeron and BL for starters and it is causing errors, particulary on heads, torsos and decorated legs, but also on other 'printed' elements. Stickered items are not so much of a problem, as they simply do not exist on Peeron, BUT: it is particulary stickered items on BL who created the 'gaps' between BL and Peeron that are now causing mismatches on BO... Reason why one should never rely on a Peeron number here on BO to list/buy something if/when there is no image (obviously when there is an image, there is a 'visual' reference).
    And you're right, over time all this data will be filled, but it takes a lot of time, and as with BL, the number of people 'filling data' (even when they have hundreds of items listed in their store without an image) is just 'slim', so they 'profit' from the selling venue, but don't bother 'building' it (which would be to their own advantage) by providing images (for starters). Ah well, same old thing I suppose :neutral:
    Good to see some new people around who are 'willing' to chime in :+1:
    Hi Eric,
    Thanks for your offer! Yes, I had noticed discrepancies between Peeron IDs so I use them as a guide only (likewise BL info). Sometimes I find it not too much of a chore going through the catalog - it has the advantage of occasionally stumbling across something else I might be looking to add and there's something of the 'hunt' about it too! Usually I will build up a small collection of pieces that need images and then do a joblot of photos before doing a bulk catalog edit (including name and dimension edits if necessary), before adding to my inventory. I think it's quite fun and rewarding to help add to the catalog and I always have a small tinge of pride when I see one of my photos :smile: