large quotes requested

hello in the past few days I have had two large quotes requested from Italy , both prospective buyers have requested large amounts of items and when I had a look they were both new buyers with no feedback. I don't like to turn orders away but when it is a large amount I need to be careful. the first buyer was sent a quote I included tracked and signed for delivery which was quite expensive ,the prospective buyer removed the quote within minutes. the next buyer has requested a quote for a larger amount also a new buyer with no feedback so I have sent similar postage conditions but also added that once I post this item I will send tracking details to him .I don't know if I am being worried over nothing but I cant be to careful could you let me know what you think am I over the top with this thankyou regards brennans bounty

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited November 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I would always recommend using a tracked service for anything of value sent to Italy as I have personally found the package loss rate to be shockingly high without tracking, and perfectly fine with tracking
  • thankyou yes your right when I used to sell on greedy day I lost quite a few item to Italy and south Africa I will wait and see if the buyer comes back its just having no feedback and a german name in Italy threw me a bit thanks for your advice regards brennans bounty
  • You should tread carefully if you're a business. It is against consumer law to discriminate against someone because of their nationality and/or their nation of residence. If you force all customers to purchase tracking for high-value orders, fair enough, but to single Italian consumers out is a bit iffy.

You could always purchase tracking yourself, but should be aware that tracking and/or insurance does not necessarily provide you with the protection you desire. Tracking does not prevent a "not as described" claim, nor does it protect against card fraud, etc. Also, insurance may not reimburse the amount you expect if/when things go wrong - read the policy terms carefully!
  • thank you hoddie I am not a business just a hobby ,I am not discriminating against the nationality but I need to be sure they are genuine buyers I looked up the royal mail price signed and tracked and it was almost £15 so sent the quote at that price buyer now wants me to send it cheaper but the weight of the items does not allow for this regards brennans bounty
  • I had once a package from USA that disappeared in Italian customs in 2014, it was insured so I filled the appropriate from with USPS, I lost my demand because according to USPS, it is illegal to ship LEGO to Italy.

They directed me to http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/il_008.htm and the 3rd item from the end of the prohibition list ("Toys not made wholly of wood"). Other things in that list seems crazy (Playing cards, Footwear, etc)

While it seems like an outdated and probably European regulation authorize it, I don't ship to Italy anymore as I have no recourse if the item is lost or damaged.
  • HELLO COLORADO AS LAWRENCE SAYS ONLY SHIP THERE WITH RECORDED DETAILS THE BUYER HAS COME BACK TO ME AND ORDERED ALL THE PARTS HOPEFULLY NOTHING WILL GO WRONG WITH THIS LOT FINGERS CROSSED,AS FOR YOUR ITEMS BEING ILLEAGLLY SHIPPED TO ITALY I CAN NOT COMMENT BUT THE EU DOES MANY MANY STRANGE THINGS LIKE THE SHAPES OF CUCUMBERS OUR SHOPS ARE ALLOWED TO SELL WE WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS AFTER BREXIT REGARDS BRENNANS BOUNTY
  • THE EU DOES MANY MANY STRANGE THINGS LIKE THE SHAPES OF CUCUMBERS OUR SHOPS ARE ALLOWED TO SELL
    Call me a sick-o, but I _had_ to google this and see what the "problem" was...

Niek.
  • HELLO QWERTYBOY WHAT DID IT SAY THEN
  • Well, it said that before 2008, the EU had some rules that specified cucumbers and bananas could not have too much of a curve in its shape. Consequently, farmers who produced them threw away perfectly good food just because they were too curved.
    My twisted mind started wondering what could possibly be wrong with the shape of a cucumber.
    Anyways, nothing to see here, move along.