Ripped off by customer?

I just heard from a customer who claims we didn't ship him a part valued at 6 cents. However, my picking partner and I know for a FACT that we placed that item in the picking bag, because it was an unusual part and we actually talked about it when it happened. Now we have to eat not only another 6 cents (big deal) but the $2.60 in shipping to send a new item. VERY frustrating. How do y'all deal with claims from customers saying a piece is missing? It seems to me this could be a place to lose a lot of money!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited November 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Berrylotus
    Every situation differs from one another, so each 'case' has it's outcome...
    Now sending backorders is part of the 'business', sooner or later a customer is going to request such, it will be up to you to deliberate if it's worthwhile or not, and discuss it over with your buyer. If you feel you can't make mistakes and that you should never send a backorder, then IMHO you shouldn't be in 'business' to start with. Backorders, Non receipt claims, Damaged goods, unhappy customers are 'part of business', it's the way how you deal with it that makes you a 'superb', a 'good', a 'decent', a 'sloppy' or a 'bad' seller ;-)

Now, if it was a low value order, then obviously another shippingcost will 'kill' any benefit of the order, but if the order was more then let's say $10, then the order would probably still be a benefit (or at 'no cost' at least). One of the options I've always applied (when it was clear the error was mine) is to offer the backorder and invite the buyer to buy some extra stuff, as shipping would be 'free' for the buyer anyway (within the limit's of the backorder offcourse). Most buyers will indeed buy extra stuff, now this addtional 'sale' won't give you any benefit, but at least it will help you recoup the costs of the backorder.

As to the question whether it's your buyer who's right, or you and your partner are right about shipping the part, that's a dilemma, I've had cases indeed where buyers claimed missing items, in some cases I was just like you 100% 'certain', based on what I wrapped (and I do doublecheck most orders as well), in such case I stand 'firm'. Soon I can proove myself I made a mistake (by recounting stock) or when there is the slighest chance (even if it's just 0.5%) the buyer might be right, I'm inclined to give benefit of doubt. But the latter also doesn't mean I would 'always' send a backorder in such a case, as it would depend on the 'rareness' of the item (basic items available in high quantities would be excluded as the buyer would probably be able to buy it 'easely' on a next order with another seller).
    One thing you do need to keep in mind: if you're 'service' minded, the chances are high the buyer might come back to you and spend 'more' (and if the buyer doesn't, at least you know for yourself you did the right thing).
    So it all depends on how the buyer reacts, on the buyers expectations and your 'idea' about 'service' within the limit's of what you consider 'cost effective'. There isn't a book of guidelines on this, in most cases common sense (from both sides) is what it needs ;-)

Good Luck, Eric

PS is there any chance you did pick the item, but that it ended up in the wrong package (had such happening myself in the past, I changed my way of 'processing' to avoid such)
  • Send the replacement even if overall you're making a loss. This happens 1 in 100 orders, the profit from the other 99 should easily cover it. Sure, it sucks, but as Eric points out, this is part of being in the business, just as paying PayPal and BO fees is.
  • Agree with all above.
    Communication is key. Find out if it's urgent? are they likely to place another order with you soon that you could send it with and offer them free postage.
    We all make mistakes including customers.
    Include a few extra cents in your shipping and then over time you can cover situations like this even if you think you're right.
  • Thank you, that was very helpful. It hadn't occurred to me to a) spell out policies and b) add some cost to shipping (newbie mistakes!). Appreciate the input!!
  • I nearly always take a photo of the sorted parts before sending orders. In the rare occurrence I have been in this situation then the photo either reassures me that I made a mistake so I can rectify it, or in one case prompted the customer to re-look in his discarded packaging to find the pieces.
  • +1 for the photographing orders plan. I was caught out by a missing pieces claim early on, and had to refund parts I KNEW I had sent, as they had emptied lots out. Since then I always photograph, and it's a simple job to check missing pieces, or even 'missing' pieces then. I also will ship the missing part for free if it's my fault [even though I blame the wife] and if I miss a whole lot [or make some other ridiculous mistake] I'll do a free shipping coupon as well. My photos are stored with their associated order dispatch sheet, so I can check back easily.
  • Photos sounds like a really good idea that I will make use of myself too.