BrickManager little preview

Here's a little preview of our store management software:

(external link: http://www.bricksync.net/brickmanager000.png )

The software isn't finished but already packed with features (most of them hidden under obscure keyboard shortcuts and commands). If the interface appears unusual, that's because it's using my OpenGL GUI written from scratch, which also runs on mobile.

I'm thinking of finishing and sharing it, yet there are two points I feel should be settled before we get there...

First, as much as I want to help people, I really don't have time for tech support. But perhaps someone else could help, acting as a tech support buffer between the programmer and the users? Someone who could investigate reported issues, produce detailed bug reports, evaluate suggestions? Oh, and that would include handling the "it doesn't work can u fix it" messages... :)

That doesn't sound too pleasant for anyone, so there should probably be some compensation for whoever handles the tech support... which leads me to the second point; any thoughts how "registration" should work? I don't think donations are a good option: I have noticed medium-sized stores donate more for BrickSync than large stores (with one big exception, thanks George!). And that doesn't sound right.

Any thoughts about all this? Perhaps even a serious volunteer for tech support? Preferably, someone knowledgeable about computers, able to test on Windows and OSX (I'm all Linux), perhaps even create friendly installers... (including that OSX certified signed thingy so that OSX doesn't complain that binaries are "damaged and should be moved to the trash can").

By the way, I have the most profound respect for Lawrence being simultaneously BrickOwl's programmer, administrator, tech support, moderator, catalog administrator, arbiter, etc. Frankly, I don't know how he manages that. But I know that all I want to do is to write code! :)

What do you think?

Comments

• 35 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Looking forward to seeing this Stragus. BS is a great piece of software so a GUI on top with additional features would be awesome.

I don't think an annual/monthly fee depending on store size is out of the question. I've only sent you a couple of donations for BS (both when someone paid me in $), but I'd be happy with a regular arrangement as well. Perhaps you could request a % of each order 'seen' by BS, though the logistics of automating this might be an added layer of bother for you, so a flat $x/month is probably the way to go (discount for annual purchase perhaps). Some sellers might be aghast at shelling out more on fees, but if your software saves time, that leaves them to decide what's worth more to them - their time or the $x/month.
  • I believe a one-time payment would be best. I personally hate subscriptions. To get people to pay, a nag screen or message should appear every hour for users with over 50k parts in their store.

Or, perhaps allow the program to have unlimited functionality for a trial period, then require a payment to continue using it.
  • And I thought you had an aversion to GUI programming. :) I'm definitely interested in new features and I think a little friendly competition between you and @Kaveh is good for everyone.

You absolutely should be using a subscription model to cover costs. Something like $1 for every 10,000 parts in inventory (averaged over a month). You can then pay for support help to share the burden. Sign me up as a beta tester!

There are a number of features that I'd like to see, but they are likely unique to how I run my business. Here are a couple that might be useful to others:
    1. Web server based GUI - we have BS running on a hosted linux server to maintain uptime, however if I want to check on it, I have to open a terminal window and SSH in to the server. Would love to have an admin page I can hit in a browser from wherever I am.
    2. Detailed cost reporting (unit specific FIFO within an inventory lot, cost averaging the lot, factoring sales velocity/time value, etc.)
  • @Stragus it looks great! I have not used BS mostly for lack of user-friendliness but would definitely try this.

I agree with other users that this should be a paid service to cover your costs and support. I'm not sure inventory size is the best variable to index the subscription price to. My suggestion would be a small flat fee PLUS a small percentage of sales. I'm going to use an extreme example but if you base it on inventory size alone, a store with 100,000 1x1 plates will pay $10 and one with 1000 modulars (worth a BIT more) will pay $1.

Regardless of the model you use, I am definitely interested! Thanks for taking the time to develop the software and making it user-friendly. It's appreciated!
  • You could of course charge a hefty premium for addons :) I'm thinking an Ebay or Amazon module where flagged parts/sets can be sold on those platforms.
  • edited October 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @DadsAFOL I definitely have an aversion to learning any GUI toolkit/API! But writing one from scratch rendered through OpenGL seemed more interesting... (I'm thinking of creating a game one day, an OpenGL GUI will come handy).

If that wasn't clear from the screenshot, BrickManager can connect remotely (or locally) to BrickSync to work on the live inventory, and multiple computers can connect simultaneously (mobile devices could too, if the interface was redesigned for tiny screens). Either way, BrickSync remains the "brain" for very robust synchronization.

A subscription model to access more advanced features could work, although, as the software fully runs on the user's local machine, it would be very weak against "tampering"... (I have done enough "reverse engineering" in my foolish youth to know how easy such a subscription model would be to circumvent ;) ). I really wouldn't want to run a chunk of the software on a remote server just to have robust subscriptions. Ergh, I'm sure I'm overthinking this, as always!

Another way would be to keep all the BrickStock-grade features (and a little more) available to all, while the most advanced features are selectively unlocked by user-specific registration keys. A drawback of this method is that the bigger stores would have yet another competitive advantage over medium-sized stores...

And I look forward to finding someone to take over all the tech support. :) (BrickSync included!)
  • I think we're a pretty honest bunch. All you really need is a reg key server and bury a daily check in call to it in the code. No need to host a chunk of the application. If someone really figures out how to reverse engineer it, then they are on their own for support anyway.

Flat fee plus X model is fine. I still like the lot volume model better than the percent of sales, but either is fine. So what if you have 1000 modulars in your inventory -- that's still only 10 lots for syncing.
  • @DadsAFOL You are right, of course. (I always overthink performance and software security, I blame the day job!) But I guess we can figure out these details after some feature-limited beta anyway.

In the shorter term, to resume working on, finish and share the software, I'm more concerned about finding some serious help for the testing and tech support (I actually know very little of Windows and OSX, no kidding).

Some features perhaps worth mentioning:
    - An unified catalog, merging data from BL, BO and BrickSet
    - Automated proportional volume balancing of storage locations
    - Cumulative collection and analysis of statistics for all items
    - Automated and... interesting pricing algorithms (I think this is the big and juicy cherry on top of the cake)
  • Wow, lots to think about. Looking at it from a programmers point of view, can you tell me what language you have written it in?
  • I wouldn’t mind paying a percentage of sales monthly for the software. It be the fairest for any size store, and every store will pay their fair share.

As for tech support I don’t mind helping out I’m home most of the time now, need something to do to fill in the time when I’m not parting-out or picking orders. I only do the occasional call out now for computer repairs, I rather be selling LEGO full time.
  • @Minifigforlife It's all written in C, both optimized (with SSE/AVX) and asynchronous (all disk I/O, networking and processing done in background threads) for maximum responsiveness. The only dependencies are OpenGL (using the GPU, getting 1500fps), OpenSSL (socket encryption for APIs), Freetype (Truetype fonts) and libpng, libjpeg, libgif (loading images).

@marshallcomputers Sounds great, do you have plenty of experience with OSX/Windows? And... do you have a lot of patience answering tech support emails? ;)
  • @Stragus Been using Macs since 2009, did animation for over a year. As for windows been using them most of my live and i have been running a computers repair service since 2011, know my way around blindfolded.
  • @marshallcomputers Cool. So are you interested to act as a tech support buffer between the programmer and the end users? I have no idea what kind of agreement we should have, I'm listening if you have any suggestion (some percentage of whatever donation/registration/subscription we end up with?).

Do you have some programming experience? Would you be able to create friendly platform-specific installers? Do you have a lot of patience answering tech support emails?
  • @Stragus I’m interested in providing the tech support. As for agreement I haven’t thought of that at all of yet.

My Programing experience is in HTML, PHP, and some python. As for creating a friendly installer, this can be done with software such as “Inno Setup” or “NSIS” for windows broth need little programing skills to get fully working, I’ve used both in the past for creating installers from games I made in “Game Maker” years ago. As for OS X you can use “Disk Utility” to create dmg install files (haven’t need used it yet). Well be able to help you get them working.

I have patience, many times with helping clients over the phone for long periods.
  • @marshallcomputers All right, sounds great.

It would be fantastic if you could handle the testing and installers (I would like to avoid having to install or touch Windows and OSX...). You could say I write code to relax from writing code all day (does that make any sense?), so I would love to focus on that as much as possible.

If anyone's curious, it will surely take several weeks before any beta, and I'm sure the first versions won't be very user-friendly (yet)... I'm not sure how subscription/registration will work, but the free version would already do a lot more than BrickStore. I'm also thinking the top 3 BrickSync supporters and top 3 BrickOwl catalog contributors would have access to the full software.
  • Happy to help test if I can. Fees how about a percentage of bo sales per month? All the best to you with this super project.
  • @Stragus
    Count me in on any Beta testing, even 'raw' doesn't bother me, you know that ;-)
    I suggest you build in an expiration date for 'free trial' like 6 months or 1 year, that way you have time to figure out 'how much' a subscription is going to cost and 'how' it's going to be managed in the long run...
  • Here's a little preview of our store management software:
    What do you think?
    lol @ Status Panel.

Looks good. I'm interested to try it out. I have some ideas/suggestions, but it might be too early for that, since I don't know what will be in it already.

--
    Marc.
  • @Stragus Not a clue about programming, even tho I used to program years ago (Fortran!)

Looks amazing!

I have no problem paying a fee - whether by one time payment or subscription or a mix. Subscription would be better for you - that way you will have a good idea how much funds you will have month to month. I would suggest a fixed fee regardless of size of store (or value of inventory)
    altho if you were to use size + value divide by 2 as a basis to give you a means to even out store a with 100k 10¢ parts verses a store with 2x 10179.

Will this also sync between BO and "other" venue(s)? I need to try again at syncing as I am expanding :)

And @DadsAFOL last(second) item in your original response would be VERY useful+++ as BO has little way of analizing sales data on a part by part basis.

G
  • edited October 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I would be very interested in this application, been looking for a easier way to sync my bricklink inventory with brickowl. find bricksyn too cumbersom an problematic at best. since I am away from my FT job on medical leave because of a stroke, I would spend time playing around with it.
  • I understand about half this thread but it's awesome to see how this community comes together to support one another!
  • Just wondering if there has been any further development on this @Stragus

I love BrickStock but it would be great to have something a little more powerful, happy to have to pay, once off or monthly for use of an improved tool.
  • +1. I'm very interested in this too.
  • If more beta testers are needed I'm willing. I have a programming background but haven't used it for years, but the basics of reading code and understanding script are there. I'm using an OSX platform currently, so no Windows help here.

Also I'd prefer a one time payment if possible. Don't mind the idea of if new features are added they cost extra, just don't go crazy. But your time is just as valuable as everyone else's. I've been catalog contributing here more than BL because there is compensation, even if it's not a huge payback for the time invested. It helps the community and everyone benefits, and this will benefit everyone so I will support it. Even seed money if required.

Tyson.
  • Programming on OS X here also if help with testing is needed.
  • If someone, maybe @Stragus, could briefly explain the sync methods to me I could find some way to help. I don't need to know the inner workings of the application (and don't actually have any desire in that regard), just the resource method the application uses if it's anything other than pure API. Can PM me if preferable.
  • Sounds awesome, wish I could be of some help but I am clueless on 90% of what ya'll are talking about. I can find my way around my windows computer...that's about it, I have no programming experience but am willing to learn to do SOMETHING to be able to contribute. I have lots of spare time if someone is willing to teach me.

• Hi @Stragus - any news on your BrickManager?
  • Hi @Stragus

It's been about a year since you enticed us with the BrickManager preview. Has there been any progress or did you abandon the idea? Hoping for the former!
  • Very interested on any news surrounding Brickmanager.
  • Ditto :-) I imagine this is a huge, time-consuming effort to create!
  • This thread is two years old, it ain't going to happen.
  • Oh :-(

Can you elaborate? Other priorities?
  • I have no idea but I guess so. Maybe it's still incoming but @Stragus isn't as regular a visitor as he used to be.