Quote Requested, but payment made?

On the 18th, I had a buyer place an order for a single minifigure. Before placing an order, they submitted a request for a quote. Within 5 minutes, they placed an actual order, selecting "request a quote" as the shipping type. I emailed them explaining that they should not have paid without actually having their shipping quote given, but they never responded. At this point they have paid me the $5.xx for the minifigure, but not the $3.25 shipping amount required for us to ship it.

After our attempts to contact them went unanswered, the buyer decided today to file a dispute with Paypal, and then immediately escalated it to a Paypal Claim, bypassing the resolution process completely. What are my options here? The buyer seems insistent on cheating the system in order to get reduced/free shipping, and I'm left holding the bag.

So what should I do at this point? I've reported the issue as a chargeback and reached out again to the customer, but I'm at this point I'd rather refund and stoplist the buyer. However, I'm not willing to accept a non-positive feedback from someone who is committing fraud.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Just went through the process of adding a minifigure to my cart and going to checkout on your store.
    It came up with your shipping cost but also had request a quote option. I selected request a quote and shipping cost went, total adjusted without shipping and I could still proceed to checkout!
    Not sure what's going on there, maybe an option in your settings needs to be off?
  • edited August 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    That sounds like something is amiss with the quotes system, I will have a look into what seems to be going wrong here on Monday.
  • I looked through my shipping options and the only one I seem to have set up for quotes is the standard "request a quote" option that was provided by BrickOwl--but for some reason it is acting like "request a quote" is instead a function that allows people to place orders and check out without the quote ever being responded to, accepted, or anything else.

For now, since I've got PayPal breathing down my back, am I safe just refunding him and stoplisting? The buyer has made it clear that he isn't interested in communicating and his actions make him seem likely underage, so he isn't someone we want purchasing from us again.
  • My apologies for the delay in resolving this, there was an issue where the customer could adjust their shipping method to be "Request a quote" after they had got past the shipping section of the checkout and then checkout using that method without receiving a quote. A check has now been put in place to stop this from happening. In this case the best thing to do would be to just refund the customer.
  • Awesome! I've screwed up my shipping terms before so it's good to know it wasn't a mistake on my part this time. Thanks for the fix--we have refunded and reported the customer.