Orders/Carts Quoted.... and now?

BWABWA
edited September 2013 in Brick Owl Vote Up0Vote Down
Hi All,

We only got on board recently, and are very happy with the results so far...., 1 shipped order and 4 quotes... (= active carts if our understanding is correct). The 1st order was almost instantly..., (before going to bed, made the quote, next morning paypal money was received... perfect! We packed the order and put it to shipped, no problem).

Question now is, the other 4 quoted orders..., we just wait for payment (and consider the items sold?), how long should we wait, what if the buyer finds the quoted shipping/handling to high?

Is there any place we can/should read up on this matter? Any suggestions?

Rgds,

Dorien & Jeroen

NB.: Maybe create a Forum Section: Help questions?

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Quotes are just that: quotes. So no reservation of parts is done in your inventory and the buyer is not obliged to actually buy. So from a seller point of view, once you have quoted your quotes you just ignore them. Some of them just want to know the actual shipping cost, find it to steep and leave. Some were maybe hoping for a lower shipping cost and leave. Others act upon the quote and actually place the order.
  • Thanx for the respons,

Mhhhh, we always pick the order before quotation, (to make sure we have items and determine actual shipping)..., this could result in having big piles off uncompleted orders..., how long before a quote/cart is released? Who has control over the quoted orders? Doesn't this imply that 2 buyers can ask a quote for the same item? (since it is not reserved in stock?)

• Having 4 quotes already is good going. I think I've only had two requests for a quote since opening. Have you set up a range of shipping methods? Or you could disable the quote option if it will cause you a hassle.
  • Again the quote is not a reservation or a contract for a future order. So picking the order is a waste of time when you know that. Most of the quotes I got bounced off. I would say that only 10% goes to an actual order, at least in my case. I just now disabled the request a quote option to only show when no valid shipping method is available.

Multiple buyers could request a quote for the same parts yes. Whoever places the actual order fastest would get the parts, the second buyer would be unable to use the quote as it is no longer valid (since the parts are no longer there). The only option left in that case is to request a new quote with fewer pieces.
  • As we started only 2 days ago we were pleasantly surprised 2. When opening the shop we didn't fill out the shipping portion on purpose, (lot of work and committing to the sale without being able to check completeness, weight, size, handling and shipping), anyway this doesn't seem to solve the above raised questions...,
  • Ah, thanx Hellmouth/Helmond, very enlightening, any suggestions on how to retract a quote, (I would be willing to have the quoted orders ready for x days and then return to stock). Also don't want double orders in BO or BL and still want to sell the items.... :)
  • I'd definitely look at setting up the shipping methods as soon as you get chance. The whole process is just immediate then. The buyer can place an order with me and I can have it paid, picked and shipped that day.
  • Would drive sales wouldn't it? Issue I have is that I cannot find a way to compensate for incomplete orders... (doesn't happen often, but does happen (wrong color, bad quality or something))...., also costs vary per Item, makes setting up shipping very hard.... (for example: Big Container Barrel, looks like an envelope item but is actually to big..., so when this item is ordered it should always be a package, how to autoquote this?)
  • " any suggestions on how to retract a quote, (I would be willing to have the quoted orders ready for x days and then return to stock)"

Nothing is reserved or taken out of your stock. The quote can exist forever (I think). When some items from the quote were sold the quote is no longer valid. Not really a big issue

" Issue I have is that I cannot find a way to compensate for incomplete orders... "

Just click the refund button. People understand that some parts go missing. When I started out I was always concerned about this, now I just refund them and move on. Sometimes I feel they placed the order really for that part, then I contact them to let them know. Communication is key here.

"Big Container Barrel, looks like an envelope item but is actually to big..., so when this item is ordered it should always be a package, how to autoquote this"

BrickOwl does that for you! Just define shipping methods based on dimensions (of your bubble mailer) and if the part doesn't fit, that shipping method is not usable. Works like a charm. In all the orders I had on BrickOwl here, it was always correct. Sometimes it would seem from looking at the order it would never fit into a bubble mailer and then I would be surprised to see the actual dimensions were still within the limits I set up.
  • I think it depends on what postal system/rates you have in your country for how difficult it would be to set up. I can't comment for Netherlands but I found setting up the shipping methods ok for the UK postal system. You can set a dimension and weight limit for each method (remember to take account of packaging).

As for incomplete orders, it has happened to me a couple of times but the buyers have been very patient and I've sourced the piece for them and shipped it on with their order - I've sent them a discount coupon off any future orders with me. So far I've not had any problems.

Good luck with the shipping methods.
  • Welcome to Brick Owl.

Looks like this was answered while I was typing but here goes.

When setting up your shipping quotes, you can determine maximum weights and sizes for each postage method (with allowance for packaging).

Most items have weights and dimensions in the catalog, however inevitably there is some incomplete data, if you have an item which you know would not fit in a letter postage rate, then it is always best to check the item details, you can make alterations to any catalog item you find has incomplete data, so for the Big Container Barrel, you could make sure it's dimensions are complete and correct.

I currently have just one a letter and parcel rate in my store, I learnt the hard way and was caught out by weight and size on my first two orders, but managed to remedy this by doing the above, obviously if you have a large inventory this could be time consuming, but effective.

Nathan.
  • Thanx, we certainly have a look at this (in the really near future) and test it.
    (looked to complex while opening and seemed to give an escape).

If it works like a charm, so much the better...,
    As always communication is Key!

BO is hard on its way becoming our primary (stock)location.... :)
  • Simultaneous answering seems to go on.... just a good sign...., traffic

Am wondering though how BO calculates shipping on multiple items? Stacked packing or.....,

Since I have 1700+ items missing it's picture I guess also dimensions, weight etc, seems like I've got a task ahead....:)

Still will have a look at the auto shipping quote option!
  • The trend with items missing pictures is normally stickered/decorated parts, parts which are a rare or uncommon colours, printed minifigure body parts e.t.c. e.tc. 'special' items you could say, not surprising when you consider the quantity of available items and variations.

This does not particularly mean they are missing other data also so do not be alarmed.

If you concentrated on the items which you know will not be sent as smaller packages, or items which you know are too heavy.
  • In the UK it's fairly straight forward there is a large letter rate, which is used for 90% of my orders. Where an item is too large or heavy to fit in that band the order is sent at parcel rate. The only time anything has been shipped above "parcels rate" are lego kit boxes and that is where the "request a quote" would be enabled. You could keep it simple by just setting up a parcel rate at first and setting a note that you would refund any overpayment.
  • @Admin (Lawrence)

On the subject of dimension limits.

As the catalog is under constant development, could there be something built into the system that automatically puts any items that do not have a dimension into the 'request a quote postage' category only and the reason for this communicated to the seller so they can double check the dimensions e.t.c of the item in question, or straight into the parcel rate of a sellers store?

I am not sure if this is a common issue or not, I got caught out the other day as if an item has no dimension, the dimension for the item is not added to the order total dimension as opposed to something flagging this up.

Weight could come into this as well.

Obviously stores do not want 'request a quote' being used if there is a shipping method set up, but considering for example Royal Mail 2nd class large letter is 69p opposed to the closest small parcel rate of £2.60. I would refund any overcharged postage but would not ask a customer to cough up more for postage.

This could eliminate the risk of anything slipping through the net should an item have no dimensions at the time it is placed into a basket/ordered ??

Again if this is just an uncommon issue then ignore me.
    My opinion for what it is worth, just thinking out loud.

Nathan.
  • All nice and well, in the past we used to "quote" shipping based on site provided info...., boy can this bite you in the rear....,

Lego (without proper packaging within the envelope) seems to have a mind of its own. Since dutch postal is very strict on (what we guess) dimensions and weight, we received several "insufficient stamped" notices from the postal service. (with fines due). That's why we pick and "pack" the order before sending out the Invoice.....,

(as a seller, it is our Lego and we should in the end be able to determine how to ship a order so we feel it can arrive intact). (Cycles with broken handles, broken trees etc...)

Don't get me wrong, Like the limbo quotation set up, but am wondering about duration etc. etc...
    At some other sites (....) the set up seems more logical/open (in favor of the seller)....

Jeroen
  • Trust me, it takes FAR less time to set up your shipping methods once than every time having to pick the order to determine weight, dimensions and shipping cost. And I speak from experience with a total of 11 (!) shipping methods for four regions (Belgium, EU, europe and world) using bubble mailers (three weight classes) and parcels.