Forum suggestion(s)

Not sure where this forum came from, if it's canned software adapted or ?

Would like to suggest that on viewing a discussion that I be placed at the first unread post if it's easy to get

Would also like to suggest that I have an easy way to quote previous text.

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It says at the bottom 'Powered by Vanilla'. I am no expert and have no idea what Vanilla is, but I suppose some whizzy bang features can be set up. (Not to bring BL type development methods to BO ;) )
  • Also, I'd really like to be able to open forum threads in new windows/tabs. Right now, when I try to do so, the new tab immediately redirects to the main forum page.
  • Not sure where this forum came from, if it's canned software adapted or ?

Would like to suggest that on viewing a discussion that I be placed at the first unread post if it's easy to get

Quote test

• Not sure where this forum came from, if it's canned software adapted or ?

Quote test

Excellent, thanks. Can you turn on the 'Like' and 'Flag' features as well?
  • edited July 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I can see a flag link and on the post, do you not have that? Emoticon :)
  • I can see a flag link and on the post, do you not have that? Emoticon :)
    I don't see it when viewing via the iPhone. There must be a mobile theme applied? The voting doesn't appear there either. FWIW, the mobile theme used at the Brickset forums seems very clean and efficient.

I see both the Flag and the voting on my PC with IE.
  • So, is the Voting feature supposed to be like Stackoverflow? I'm not sure how this fits into the forums here, except perhaps in the Site Issues and Suggestions categories where you upvote a solution to an issue or upvote a Suggestion you like. Can you explain how you expect this to be used?
  • To try and help me prioritise what is important, so vote on bug/features that are important to you
  • I like how fast things change here. It's like BL way way way back in the very early days.... thanks!
  • Please, the ability to edit posts here in the forum, if just for a few min... please.

Joe
  • Please, the ability to edit posts here in the forum, if just for a few min... please.

Joe
    Can you not at the moment? The configuration panel seems to imply you can
  • edited July 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down

I don't see a button or where you would access the option myself. Could be there and I don't see it, where do I look?

EDIT: it works

• Ahh, my old post was too old, I see it for 6 min on that last one. Thanks
  • Could you please, please change whatever needs to be changed so that I can successfully open forum posts in new tabs, without having the pages redirect back to the main page?
  • @Classicsmiley I can't believe it worked, but it's actually working now.

Even better, @Lar now it will scroll to the correct position when you open a thread based on the last post you read.
  • Thank you!

I did notice, however, that it now looks like the page title for each page is now just "Forum|Brick Owl" instead of the thread title.
  • Ah, I don't think there is anything I can do about that, the forum is inside a frame which does not have access to that part of the page.
  • Ok. Also, I'm not seeing any auto-scrolling to new posts.

Brickset is the only other place that I know of that uses Vanilla Forums, and everything seems to be working correctly over there. Is that because they actually have a separate domain for the forum?
  • Yes it is, I wanted it to be embedded so it feels more part of the site. The changes I made earlier, I think they are being cached, hopefully it will sort itself out in a day or two.
  • I would very much like to be implemented:
    (1) local time in shops (or ability to create that idividually - is Java script allowed?): would make buyers understand that the shop owner might sleep and can't answer requests immediately. Maybe a clock in the store's homepage
    (2) a message (warning) in shopping carts (big letters, bolt) that item(s) might be sold if purchase is not done immediately. There had been complaints in BL forum that items were sold to s.o. else while having them in the shopping cart.
This discussion has been closed.