Canada Post, possible strike in July?

edited June 2016 in General Vote Up0Vote Down
As many Canadians may know, Canada Post employees are threatening to go on strike in early July, probably July 2nd.

What's the opinion of other Canadian sellers? How likely do you think a strike is? (it has happened before...)

Should we close stores next week, to prevent packages being stuck in limbo? Should we rely on customers being understanding of the situation, and hope we don't end up with a dozen negative feedbacks?

*sigh* [-(

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Can't help you on the details, but maybe, if the strike comes, you can set you shipment to 6-14 days (if I am correct). So customers that DO find your shop know they have to be a bit more patient...
  • Looking back at what happened last time, I'd say a strike is very likely. And as last time, it will be a big mess. However, closing shop to me would be a bit overkill. Maybe put a statement in big letters in your shipping methods?

(Yay, my first BO post!)

Niek.
  • Right, these are also good options, thanks. Let's hope that customers won't miss that notice whenever we can put it (on top of every page, shipping time, shipping methods...).

That'll have to be done a week before the strike itself, as already shipped packages will also stop moving.
  • Checking latest news, it looks like there is not much progress. So we put up the banners, let's hope this gets resolved quickly.
  • hi not sure how many orders you get but would it not be worth sending a message to the buyers explaining the situation i'm uk so I don't think it would bother me much only sent once to Canada ,I know it would be a pain but I think the personal touch will go along way to pacify buyers
  • hi not sure how many orders you get but would it not be worth sending a message to the buyers explaining the situation i'm uk so I don't think it would bother me much only sent once to Canada ,I know it would be a pain but I think the personal touch will go along way to pacify buyers
    Well, I _am_ in Canada, so every order I process will be affected. That is why we decided to put up a message on our store page, as well as add this message to each shipping method. We will also contact every customer who places an order, but by putting it up for customers to see, it hopefully works a bit proactive, and might prevent some disappointment. Only mentioning after the order is placed doesn't feel like it is enough.

Niek.
  • Well, it looks like the strike will start tomorrow. We still had our shop open with the messages in the shipping methods, and have been sending messages to the people who did place an order, but some just did not reply.

Anyways, we have now disabled all of our shipping methods except quote. This way, people can still place orders if they want, but then we can communicate before we send them an invoice.

Niek.
  • It seems the strike/lockout at Canada Post has been averted at the last minute, for at least a month.

It's now safe to place orders at your nearest Canadian seller. :)
  • And nevermind that, a strike/lockout by Canada Post is once again possible. [-(

(Party A had proposed 30 days cooling-off period, party B agreed but with a condition, party A then rejected said condition... arrgh)
  • And the constant threat of a strike/lockout appears to have passed, finally.

These were some great moves from both Canada Post and the union, scaring everybody for over a month toward the open arms of private courier/shipping businesses!... ~X(