Howdy howdy howdy :-)

I have just started moving some items from the other site and thought I'd check in and say hello. As for my bonafides: I have only recently placed an order here and just opened the store here yesterday. My handle is the same over there though so I speak truth :-)
Looking forward, sort of, to learning the Brickowl system. My store here is One Old Nerd.

Paul(Mmookk61)

Comments

• 40 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Welcome!

As you don't seem to be synchronizing inventories, feel free to look at this little tool:
    http://www.bricksync.net
  • I am thinking about doing it but I don't know if I need excel and I don't have it ;-) Might give the old computer a rupture.
  • edited June 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    You don't need excel, just Brickstock + Bricksync.
    (even without brickstock you can work with Bricksync and the command blmaster).

I really recommend you to start using it, in that website that Stargus posted you can learn what you need easily.

Sergio
    Stellar Bricks
  • Hey, I recognize your name! We're here testing the waters as well. :)
  • I would be surprised if there aren't more coming :-)
  • I would be surprised as well. We just jumped head first into things here. :) Why not give it a go?
  • Welcome! The forum is quiet, but I would like to think it's because we have (almost) nothing to complain about. :)
  • Now that IS a change of pace! :smiley: It's strange getting used to a new place, but there are already some things I'm finding that I think are pretty cool, like being able to see how many people have things in their carts. And what searches are being done.

We can't wait for our first order!!
  • @Geniac
    @mmookk61
    Welcome to the Owl :-)
    No you won't be the only ones, last weekend I guided trough another seller on how to set up and start syncing both inventories by using the API's, and I strongly recommend to do so from the start, not only it hardly gives you work (besides setting it up), bricksync will do the 'listing' job for you on BO by using your BL data, piece of cake ;-)
    The next step is setting up shippingbands, takes a bit of time, but once your set, it's a dream: you get orders, they are paid instantly (depending on your payment options offcourse). Make sure to leave 'quote request' open for any kind of order (missing size data), but if you help providing data, instant checkout will become more reliable (I hardly give quotes anymore, 98% of my orders are 'instant'). And bricksync takes care of adjusting your inventories ;-)

Good luck, Eric
  • Hi welcome all to brickowl, yeah first time it was quite a change from bricklink but I think brickowl has some pretty cool features which make your life as seller easy (work smart not hard principle). futhermore the bricksync program takes alot of work out of your hands syncing both sites !! many thanks to him ! btw if you have questions, you can always place them on the forum.
  • Thanks for the welcome, folks! Another seller thinking about coming here let us know about BrickSync, so we started using it from minute one. Wow, very awesome tool. Helped us list just under 100k parts in a very short time. We're still getting the hang of it...but having fun doing it.

I am curious to see how many stores come here.

Thanks again!

Ann
  • Am I getting this right? For Bricksync to keep an eye on orders for both sites, my computer must stay on 24 hours a day and it, the computer, can't go into sleep mode? Just checking . . . .
  • @mmookk61
    Really depends on you 'order' activity.
    I run BS once in the morning (6:30), then my wife runs it around 13:00, then the laptop goes in standby (which stops the process) and when I get home around 17:00 I trigger it again by typing 'message' in the BS text box. Depending on my activities, either it keeps running till 20:30~21:00, or it goes in sleepmode (when picking orders for instance) and I trigger it again 1 or 2 times 'till 20:30~21:00. During weekends I'm more active on the laptop so it stays on from early in the morning 'till evening.
    So far this method is more then enough for me, with 2,3 or 4 orders per day depending of time of year (the chances to sell something twice within a timeframe of 10-12 hours is extremely slim).
    Ideally this should run 24/7, I recently checked if it could be done from the cloud, but cloud spaces currently don't support the running of executables (seems some cloud providers are working on that).
    Very active stores could rent some serverspace offcourse, but in most cases running on a desktop (without standby) is just as good, my personal method is ok for me (for now), so far I only sold a couple of parts twice (in 2.5 years), but for particular stuff I keep backups anyway (and loads of sealed sets anyway where I can pick from in worst case LOL).

Cheers, Eric

PS not sure if it could run as an app on a smartphone, there are programs on the net to create an 'app' version of an executable (if I read well). Don't have a smartphone, so pointless for me to even try LOL. Maybe @stragus can answer (or look in to) that.
  • @mmookk61 It's your computer that is doing all the work, so it must remain on (and not asleep/hibernating). You could shut it down and restart BrickSync later, but there would then be a small risk of double-selling.

@RobErNat It wouldn't be impossible to create a smartphone version, but I think it would be poorly suited for many reasons, I wouldn't recommend that...
  • I run BS on one of these with a USB mouse/keyboard combo:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ADTRIP-BayTrail-Quad-core-Computer-Bluetooth/dp/B01CJHLOME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466054584&sr=8-1

I paid £99 but now they're at £76.

Upgraded to Windows 10, plugged it into an old monitor that I've wall-mounted in my Lego room, and left it running 24/7. I reboot it once a week to ensure upgrades are done, and only turn the monitor on occasionally to check BS is still running fine. This way I don't have my normal desktop running up the energy bills all the time.
  • I kind of like that :-) May look into it.
    @Hoddie
    Thanks for the tip, any idea on the used wattage of such a device? Not that I'm an Energy freak, but I have been paying attention just for the sake of my pocket (like changing Halogens by LED lamps).
    Coincidently some of my collegues where talking of such devices 2 days ago, I didn't really pay much attention to the conversation (I prefer to stay focused), but now that you mentioned it I might try to get some more info about similar devices.
  • Well... The electricity cost of letting a typical desktop computer run 24 hours a day, idle but not asleep, is about 4 USD per month. And a laptop computer would be about one third of that. And in winter, it provides valuable heating that you would pay for anyway.

These mini computers are handy for a variety of reasons, but I wouldn't worry about the power consumption too much. :)
  • @RobErNat - I honestly couldn't tell you. It is very handy though. We recently went to Wembley in London, took the device with us, connected it to the hotel's Wi-Fi and plugged it into the room's TV set. Could keep an eye on it even on holiday. Awesome stuff.

The only reason I didn't want to run BS on my main rig is because it's a gaming monster with, if I remember correctly, a 1200W PSU - and leaving that on 24/7 isn't ideal option because of the noise it makes trying to keep cool in this Belgian summer(!) we're having :)

Plus I had an old flat-screen monitor kicking about which helped swing the deal.
  • That is interesting...though my husband and usually never shut down our computers.

Is it possible to have BrickSync on multiple computers? We have laptops we work on in our Lego room. The rest of the time, we use our desktops downstairs. Could we have it one more than one computer so we could see it in each location, not running at the same time, obviously?

Thanks!
    Ann
  • @Geniac No no, please don't try that. Each installation of BrickSync "knows" which orders it has already processed, and it tracks any change to them.

Multiple copies of BrickSync would process the same orders multiple times and produce a complete mess (said mess can be fixed with "sync", but it's still a mess). On Linux and OSX, you should be able to attach/detach a terminal session remotely. On Windows, I think there's some... remote desktop thing?
  • Good to know! Thank you! The computer it's currently installed on is my husband's desktop, which is never shut down unless we have a power outage or he's rebooting, so it should be fine there.

Thanks again!

Another question...how does the feedback boost work? We submitted the information to get the feedback boost, and we received an email saying it was done/approved. I'm not seeing anything on our feedback yet, though. I'm thinking it may just take a bit more time, which is fine. I just wasn't sure what to look for...if it would just show up as feedback or be show as something separate.

Regardless...what a cool feature. I love that the site provides a way to let potential buyers know a store is most likely legit, even if it is new.

Ann
  • It should update soon Ann :)
  • @Lawrence Perhaps you should check Geniac's feedback boost? It seems weird that it wouldn't have taken effect...
  • Not being impatient, mind you. I know we just signed up recently. :smile: Just not sure if I'm even looking in the right places yet!

Ann
  • @Geniac looks like there was a mistake with the boost, that should appear for you soon
  • I see it's there! Thank you so much! Very cool option. :)
  • @Geniac
    It is indeed a nice 'feature' for starting sellers with a good reputation 'elsewhere' as it helps to build 'confidence' for potential buyers :-)
    Just a sidenote: this will only stay active for 1 year (dunno if it's mentioned somewhere).
    And in regards to feedback: BO buyers don't leave as much (like 30-40% maybe), nothing to worry about, it's just the way it is around here ;-)

I took a peak at your store, the next step for you is to try to set up shippingbands, BO buyers are very used to autocheckout. Keep 'quote request' active at any time as in case a buyer has doubts on the presented costs so they can still request one. You might wanna check the setup page, as other sellers in your country might 'share' their shippingmethods, so you can copy them (another great feature on this site), then tune them for yourself.

Good luck & Have Fun!

Cheers, Eric
  • You also have to have a 100 or more feedback to ask for the boost I believe.
  • @RobErNat Thanks for the info! It does say in the feedback boost section that it only lasts for one year. Hopefully, even with fewer people leaving feedback, we'll build up some here.

My husband and I were just talking about setting up the shipping bands this morning. I was having a dense moment and couldn't wrap my head around what it mean. Thanks much for letting us know you could see shared shipping methods. It made sense as soon as I looked at someone else's. :) Shaun is in the processing of setting that up now.

@mmookk61 Yes, I read that as well. If you have fewer than 100, it won't work.

Thanks again for all the help and pointers! Very much appreciated.

Ann
  • I have yet another question! Is there a way to print a packing slip to include with orders?
    Oh wait...think we found it!! Sorry! Jumped the gun.
  • Geniac found it but I haven't lol....
    1. Can someone please tell me how to just print out the order packing slip (order with no other info on it other than what was purchased.
    2. I don't know if it's just me or if i can change the settings here on BO somewhere... the order sheet prints out so tiny...is there a way to make the print bigger. There is no where on my printer that i see.
    Thanks
    Janice
  • I found the "picking slip" lol...
  • Geniac found it but I haven't lol....
    1. Can someone please tell me how to just print out the order packing slip (order with no other info on it other than what was purchased.
    2. I don't know if it's just me or if i can change the settings here on BO somewhere... the order sheet prints out so tiny...is there a way to make the print bigger. There is no where on my printer that i see.
    Thanks
    Janice
    (1) From http://www.brickowl.com/mystore/orders, click on the order, then 'More Actions' and select either Picking List or Invoice. One shows the part, the other just a list.

(2) Not sure what you mean, sorry.
  • Thank you Hoddie.
    question 2 was basically about the print size when i print out the picking slip, i'd like it bigger so i can read it easier. I think the text size looks about 6-8...i'd like it 12-24 (us old folks don't have the best eyesight lol.
  • @Stragus: With all the new sellers coming in, you should consider making a SaaS version of BrickSync "Rent-a-sync" :D
  • @Sarbaek It has been suggested several times, but there are many reasons not to do that...

- A single server synchronizing all sellers would bombard both BO and BL with so many requests that the IP would get automatically banned
    - It introduces a single critical point of failure for everyone
    - It's possibly against the BL terms of services regarding API usage and sharing with a third party
    - Sellers, as businesses, should be autonomous and depend on as few external services as possible
    - I don't want the API keys of sellers

Most important of all, I avoid all unnecessary sources of stress. :)
  • While I agree with you, there are ways around most of that. I completely understand your reasoning though.

Probably not around the last section haha.