FYI:- New LEGO cache update

If you're a catalogue contributor, good news! LEGO have finally updated their cache, so images are available for all of this years new parts so far, and most of 2H as well. Finally.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • maybe a bit nooby question but can you tell what this cach is of lego. where can you find it ?
  • It's readily available images of all their parts, in various levels of detail, stored by ElementID. Places like Brickset use them automatically. Rebrickable does too, although we don't hoover them up automatically like Brickset, but do some other stuff with them [there are ways of querying the cache to get much more detail about official colour names/LEGO descriptions etc].
    For example http://cache.lego.com/media/bricks/5/2/6134869.jpg gives you a 192x192 of Element 6134869, there's two sizes and two render versions for each part [well, almost all] accessible by slightly different URLs, but the /5/2 based URL gets the most commonly used image for parts.
  • @theskirrid thanks for your explenation, was already searching for something like this !!
  • @TheSkirrid
    How exactly do you access those pages? I tried part of the URL (including 'media') but nothing shows or it gives me an error (you have no permission), is there another URL where we can browse all the folders of new parts?

Cheers, Eric
  • @RobErNat - You can only do it individually by ElementID, sadly. All sub folders aren't accessible, but you can use something like HTTrack or other website harvester to hoover up the images [this is incredibly fiddly to set up though due to the way site queries are processed]. I crawl it every three months usually, but this year they've been incredibly slow at updates, this is the first comprehensive update since last year.
    Brickset crawls the catalogue, and you can use queries to sort the most recent additions to their catalogue http://brickset.com/parts/new-05-06-16/page-1 is the most recent batch of parts found.
    EDIT:- The LEGO category data isn't exposed anymore though, but as far as I know only Brickset uses LEGO's own categories for parts.