Is there any way to do a refund on BO after PayPal

So, I had a rather large order, and I overquoted on the shipping. I told the buyer I would refund anything that was over what I spent, or eat the additional cost if it went over the quoted price.
When I got the exact shipping cost nailed down, the first thing I did without thinking was go to Paypal and do a partial refund for the difference. Then I realized that I needed to start the refund on BO. No problem, I thought, I'll just uncheck that box that says "do paypal refund automatically."
So I did that, and the refund is not taking. I've tried it twice to be sure. I enter all the information needed, uncheck that box, hit submit, and the page reloads, but it doesn't show any adjustment to the shipping or to the total.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Katie

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @alltrightbricks
    Hi Katie,
    It is indeed better to do a refund trough the order in such case, as everything is linked with the API between Paypal and BO.
    I just tested this myself on an order, and it works, so you must be doing 'something' wrong.
    Let's take it step by step.
    You hit the refund button.
    You click 'set all to zero' (quantities).
    You adjust the shipping amount (you enter the amount for the refund).
    You entered a note,
    hit the 'update totals' button
    deactivate the checkbox 'send refunds automaticlly'
    hit the update totals again !
    hit submit refund
    The green bar on top should say now: refund succesfully submitted, please don't forget to refund... (well, something like that)

• There is also a "did you check everything" confirmation to add to your helpful list there
  • Thank you @ RobErNat. I have done many refunds, so nothing really new here, but in your checklist you mention hit the update totals again after I deactivate the checkbox (even though it already shows the correct amount) ---and voila! it worked this time.
    Thanks to both of you,
    Katie