Priority Shipping does not imply moving to front of the line

edited June 2016 in General Vote Up0Vote Down
I have gotten a couple of orders recently where the buyer seemed to expect expedited *service* by paying for the priority mail service.

My pricing for US Priority is based directly on the USPS rates. I don't have an option for 'expedited service and shipping'. Is that an option that others have used?

I have a basic resistance to bumping someone to the front of the line. And...I think I would feel guilty if I let someone jump ahead by accepting a few dollars.

Thanks for any experience with this.

Paul

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Personally, I think the only way to be fair is to pick in order. I often pause halfway through a really annoying part pull to do a smaller order, but no-one ever gets bumped. Also, offering an expedited service gives the impression that normal service is just a bit less good.
    I haven't yet [although I've only just passed 100 orders] had an order not go out next available shipping day, so I don't know how much more priority I could give. :P
  • You may want to mention in your shipping note that the order won't be dispatched any faster, this should show up during checkout. You may want to run through the checkout yourself to test it.
  • Thanks, Lawrence. Can you point me to where I can manage the 'shipping note' to my customers? Is this an actual message that I send or is it a standard note that can be included on the invoice?
  • In the settings for each of your shipping methods, you should be able to set a shipping note near the top
  • Got to be honest, I wouldn't pay for priority shipping if it didn't also come with priority service. If you're in a rush for something then an undefined wait period before the express shipping even begins is not really what I'd expect.
  • I agree with you Hoddie. On the other site I've experienced someone ordering with priority shipping and then not paying for the order until 4 days later. That makes absolutely no sense to me.
  • If you aren't going to accommodate rush orders, why offer expedited shipping at all?

If a customer pays extra for expedited shipping, I believe he can reasonably expect to receive his order as fast as possible.
  • I would not call it expedited shipping, but if a seller tries to match USPS offerings, it will show as "First Class" & "Priority Mail".
    Even though it is named Priority Mail, it might get there a day faster for Zone 5/6/7 but there there is the same amount of time for a closer zone.
    For packages under 3 lbs (and sometimes 4) Priority Mail is cheaper than Package Services (supposedly cheaper but much slower services for 1+lbs).

Personally I used to have my shipping methods named after USPS but I removed that as it was misleading to the buyer.

There are always costumers in a rush, if they need it really fast, they will contact you for overnight shipping, happened to me twice at the other place, one order was from Legoland, the other from Pixar.

There is a "Expedited" check box in the shipping methods, may be it could be made more clear during checkout that shipping methods without that box checked will have a normal processing time.
  • Just to throw my 2 cents into the ring here.

We have three main methods to choose from when ordering.

First Class
    Priority
    Priority (Speed Processing)

First class and priority methods have regular dispatch times. My speed processing version is just that, expedited processing. We do our best to pull, pack, and ship your order the exact day you order or at latest the next day. This does come with a $5 charge on top of what I already charge for priority. It probably gets used about once a month or slightly less. It is expensive but if you needed the part yesterday, it may be worth it for them.

Back to the OP's discussion. If you don't want to offer speed processing then don't. If it is an issue with your store/customers you can always add a note to each shipping item as I have on my speed processing one.
    Basically state that processing time will take the same amount of time but the package in route will be delivered faster and be covered with up to $50 insurance when priority is selected.

Thank you,
    Chris