How complete are"complete"?

Hello.

I have been buying a lot of used sets from various buyers in the last 2 years now, and most of them are labeled "complete" in the shops. However, when i receive them they are indeed complete when it comes to the correct number of parts and colours, but minifigures are often not 100% correct to inventory and instructions. They often have the wrong head, or the wrong hair/hat, or even wrong torsos.

This may seem like a minor issue, but to me it's a little source of irritation. It is important to me that the set is 100% correct when i buy it. I have not contacted sellers when i come across sets with such small errors, because it is very simple to replace the heads with correct ones in a later order. Besides, it's not the end of the world...

So the general question is: Do the sellers here think this is something that the buyers have to live with because it is after all a used item? Or does most sellers share my opinion?

This is in no way a complaint to sellers, just a general question to see what is common practise around on this site. I clearly see that such things can happen with a used set, and i am aware that not everybody has the same viewpoint as me here. :)
I once bought one of the airliner sets, 7894, which missed the whole wing! That time i contacted the seller. :))

Runar Hvitsand

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Complete should mean complete in my opinion! Mistakes happen though and some head prints are similar to others - I came across two on Saturday at the build-a-fig thingy at the Lego store that were exact to the tiniest freckle except that one had eyebrows and the other did not :)

I wouldn't be surprised if even the Lego Group themselves have substituted one head for another in some sets, sometimes in error, other times due to necessity. You also have to bear in mind that a set's inventory on Brick Owl may not necessarily be correct. They are initially taken from the Lego website and, sometimes, in those inventories, they substitute parts that are now unavailable with similar currently available parts. I haven't noticed personally but this may include minifig heads.

I would say, with a handful of known and perhaps a few as-yet unknown exceptions, that the set instructions should show the correct part and that these are what you should receive when buying a used set.
  • If you receive a set and the parts don't seem correct, the best thing to do would be to contact the seller and they should be able to resolve the situation for you. You certainly shouldn't be left out of pocket.
  • Complete should mean complete. Echo Hoddie.