Design ID question

Am I correct in thinking that the Design ID of a part will never be different for a particular colour, unless the colour is made using a different material? For example, all solid colours of a part will be one Design ID, all transparent colours will be another Design ID, all marbled will be another, etc.

The reason I ask is that the Design ID - which is automatically appended to an item's description - doesn't seem to auto-populate on each colour, presumably because of the above reason. Thus, while an item's entry in the database might have the correct Design ID, the individual colour entries of that item in the database will not have that Design ID unless it is manually added.

Would this have an impact on a user's search in a particular store? For example, if the store only has one colour of an item available, and that colour did not have a Design ID attached, even though the uncoloured record for the part did, would searching for that Design ID in that store bring up the item they had or not?

Would it not be possible to change this process so that you could enter a 'Design ID - solid colours', 'Design ID - transparent colours', etc. on the uncoloured record, and have these auto-populate to the various colours - the colour chart table could be amended to mark which where solid and which were transparent? Other colour formats like marbled/metallic could still be added manually if they're not easy to fold into this. I'm noticing more and more colours being without Design IDs and this would help mitigate it.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I will have to look into this and get back to you, the issue with the Design IDs you bring up is related to the Lego inventory issue.
  • I asked this a while ago, when I asked if we could have multiple materials for one part, as the system currently calls all parts with an ABS parent mould ABS, when they're not.
    DesignID will refer to a parent mould, a mould for children of the same mould, in a new material or process has a new DesignID [but not always, LEGO is a bit crap at record keeping before 2010]. They use new DesignIDs for transparency, metallic finish, other non-ABS plastic, chromed etc. See part 4073 at Rebrickable. We keep a record of DesignID, which is extracted from LEGO's cache via ElementID records. We were going to keep ElementID only, but realised that wouldn't archive other data like material and other changes. LEGO's cache is REALLY bad this year, new parts just aren't being added. So frustrating.