Warped plates...

Hello fellow Brickheads,
I am in the process of building a 4449 Daylight and discovered that a number of the large plates (6x12, 4x8, etc.), are a little warped. Any ideas for de-warping? I started the build anyway hoping that the warps would either cancel each other out, or that maybe if I got warped enough, I wouldn't notice. So far, no luck. How do you-all deal with this?

Thanks for your help,
Rotundus

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • what i should try is using a little heat gun and heat up a little bit (so not to melting point, haha) lay it down on a flat surface with a big book on it and wait to cool down. btw do you have a picture ?
  • Steal the wife's hair-dryer, it's a bit more gentle than a heat gun. Also a 2 minute hot water soak at about 80ºC should do the job too.
  • OK. Thanks, haven't tried that yet. Sorry, no pics... too "frugal" (cheap) to have a smartphone. As I continue to build, the warping is getting less noticeable... but, there is not that much left to go.
    When I started out, I was firmly pressing each layer together. This resulted in a "banana" shaped boiler deck with about a 1/4" bow in it. After dis-assembly, I began again loosely building three or four layers THEN firmly pressing them together on a known flat surface. This has been working, to a point. Maybe I'm out of the woods on this but as I stated before, not that many layers to go.
    Oh, by the way... Self warping did not work at all. Not recommended!

Rotundus
  • edited March 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thank you to pwpeter and TheSkirrid for the info. The warping has indeed resolved itself. It just needed more bricks to re-enforce itself. Looks like it was much ado over nothing. The hair drier sounds like a good method to bend the tubing used as piping, too.

Rotundus
  • I fixed a bent 6x24 plate by placing it under hot water, applying mild force to bend the other way for about a minute. That seems harder for small plates though.