Learning to build

As most may know, we are more sellers than builders. Now though, times are changing and the wife and I would like to get into building more. She is way more creative than I am. We do have a question though. Is there a book, resource, or website that will help us build?

Example:

1. My wife wants to create a large tree (Around 18-24in tall) How big around should the trunk be to be stable, what figuration would be best, how far in circumference would be a safe/not safe for the tree top?

2. Wife is also building a large scale church she used to attend as a child that has since been destroyed. For memory sake she wants to recreate it. Is there a good/bad configuration for walls?

I am sure a lot will come with practice and trial and error. If there was something out there that could give us a jump start that would be nice.

Thank you,
Chris & Dawn

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • But... what happened to your childhoods? That's when most people develop the base of their life-critical Lego building skills! :((

For the tree, the trunk and main branches should be hollow; you want everything to be reinforced by technic beams within the structure. It could topple, but it shouldn't break when doing so. If you were aiming bigger than 60cm, I would suggest aluminum beams as plastic tend to bend.

The building should pose no technical difficulties, it's more a problem of esthetics... I would suggest looking at the exterior facades of MOCs, for inspiration.
  • @Stragus My personal child hood was not very enriched with toys. I was brought up with a single mother and a job that pays like McDonalds. My playing was sticks, rocks, and watching T.V. when indoors and my mom wasn't engrossed in her soap operas. This is most likely the reason my wife is the creative builder because she did grow up with LEGO as a staple in her house.
    I am trying to learn myself though by building with sets for now. I am currently working on the Doctor Who idea set.

Wasn't sure if there was an actual resource? Thats ok though, we all have to learn at some point.

Thanks,
    Chris

Edit: I do remember having a small K'nex set for Christmas once.

2nd Edit: The question was more for me than my wife. I wanted to tie her in so I didn't feel as bad asking this question lol.
  • try looking on youtube there are some mega stuctures on there which could in(spire) you for your church also there are some brill building ideas always worth looking at but dont watch the lego hauls when they are shopping you will get seasick as the picture is always bouncing around regards brennan's bricks
  • There are some nice books on Amazon that show lots of different techniques for building modular buildings. :) Too many many to list. Good luck!!
  • hi, in your case i should start with looking on speed building videos on YouTube and then look at people who make MOCs in your region of interest. and of course just build and fail doing it ! so you see what works and what not :D
  • - an excellent tree design. Can be modified to use a lot less parts, a good starting point.