Seems I've been "had"

edited August 2013 in Brick Owl Vote Up0Vote Down
I have been reconciling my orders v paypal and found that one order wasn't paid even tho it showed as paid on Brick Owl

I had 2 back to back orders from the same user, the first one is on my PayPal statement the second isn't

the first order was for a small amount the second was considerably larger - which isn't there

I ship on receipt of payment received notification from PayPal - which for the second order I discovered now is not there, not noticed at the time as I had several orders at the same time from other places.

Graham

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do you want to e-mail me the order numbers and I can look into that?

With standard PayPal payments, the payment status is not changed to received automatically and the customer can only Mark it as payment sent, so there should not be a situation where the order is marked as payment received if the payment is not received.
  • I haven't received the message but I will explain here for the benefit of others also. The orders were not marked as payment sent or received, you should only ship orders that are marked as payment received.

In your case, as you use the PayPal standard, the system did not mark it as payment received automatically, so you always need to correlate the e-mails to check it has been paid. I have made the help text clearer on the payment settings screen to reiterate this message.
  • Obviously I can't go back in time, but I think highly unlikely that I would have marked payment received if I hadn't checked to see first, the reason I would have shipped the order would have been that I acted upon payment received here, not noticing the PayPal notification hadn't arrived (as it was from the same person).
    Not saying 100% - just unlikely - so I will keep a close watch now. Graham
  • To clarify, the orders were not marked as payment received. On the bottom left of an order you can see all the status changes. If I'm looking at the correct orders, in this case they went from the pending state to processing.