Paypal v Paypal payments pro

edited August 2013 in Brick Owl Vote Up0Vote Down
I have enabled the latter, and disabled "standard" option, I notice now that a buyer cannot select to pay with paypal directly.

Personally, I like to use paypal balance to pay (if I have a balance), even then I would rather pay with instant Bank transfer than with a credit card.

I assume others may like to do so too.

Do I have to now enable both paypal methods to accept paypal balance funded transactions?

Or is there a way to set this up different?

Thanks! Graham

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Could you clarify what you mean by buyers cant pay with paypal via paypal?
  • As far as I understood your Paypal balance trumps other forms. Maybe this is a setting within Paypal per each user.

Brian
  • Could you clarify what you mean by buyers cant pay with paypal via paypal?
    I went thru the check out process in my own store to see how it looked from a buyers perspective (I have just added PayPal payments Pro)

on the payments page I was given several options Check, Money Order or Credit card - "PayPal" was not there as a selectable option

Graham
  • Ah, you need 'PayPal (For Business Accounts)' not 'PayPal Website Payments Pro'.

'PayPal Website Payments Pro' is a paid for service to allow you to accept credit card payments directly on the website. If you have actually signed up for that, then you can enable both of them.
  • OK thanks that wasn't my intention so back to paypal!
  • According to PayPal I don't have Website Payments Pro, that'll be my misunderstanding - so then why is PayPal not showing as an option to pay with?
    I spent some time on the phone - and all they suggested was that "the website may not be configured correctly" - which it must be as others are OK!

Should I just delete that method and start again?

Help appreciated, this is all new to me! - ha even the service guy at PayPal didn't know what API stands for!

Graham
  • As you don't have Website Payments Pro, you should disable it. It is for taking credit card payments, not for PayPal payments. To accept PayPal payments, you should use 'PayPal (For Business Accounts)' as mentioned above. There is a piece of help text on the payment settings screen for each of the PayPal methods. Unfortunately PayPal do not give them very helpful names :-)
  • OK well I'm back to standard for now.

Just FYI I followed the instructions on add method - for business accounts - my PP account is a business one - clicked the link get "PayPal credentials" - data entered correctly - and that is what I ended up with - I just assumed this was payments pro.

So do I do the same thing again? Do I delete the current one? (can I?)

Thanks Graham
  • Disable 'PayPal Website Payments Pro' and then create the new method of 'PayPal (For Business Accounts)' with the API credentials.
  • OK that's sorted too :)