Packaging Standards

Hi, I have placed quite a few orders with Brick Owl, such a great resource!
A recent order contained over 12 different colors/styles of brick. The shipping was $17.99 which I didn't fret about b/c they were pieces that were more challenging to find in large quantities. Upon receipt of my parcel, the bricks were all mixed together. 3 sealed packages of completely mixed bricks that I will have to sort through. Many of these being 1x1 bricks, friction connectors, bushings, etc. This is my first experience where a shipment has not arrived individually packaged and sorted. I have contacted the shop and received no reply. Before I leave negative feedback I wanted to find out if shipping individually packaged/sorted brick is the norm or if I've just gotten lucky on previous orders?

Thank you!

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It depends on the store. I usually bag anything with quantity of 20+, plus whites, plus anything particularly susceptible to scratches like large tiles, etc. in their own bags, but if a customer is squeezing the most out of the shipping weight, this isn't always possible.

I think Lego themselves only put parts in separate bags if they're in a quantity of 100 or more, or 50 or more for smaller items.
  • time could be an issue for the seller in uk i dont believe there is any problems with bricks being mixed i have had no complaints as yet but if a buyer requested that the bricks were pre sorted i am sure there could be a handling fee but dont quote me on that it is mainly figures which are individually wrapped.brennans bounty
  • It's common to combine in the same polybag multiple small lots (like single digit quantities). There aren't general guidelines on the matter, but bigger lots should be packed individually, it's just common sense and a minimum of courtesy.

Still, unless it caused problems, such as transparent parts being scratched, leaving negative feedback might be a little harsh... Perhaps a neutral feedback would send them an appropriate signal?
  • Multiple lots packaged together is more the norm than the exception in my experience. Receiving every single lot on a separate bag looks like a waste.
    What I don't want as a buyer is stacking... and even for that I won't leave neg feedback, I just won't be back to that store.
  • We combine ours in one bag but will separate on request. Never had any complaints... yet
  • Sellers are in a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation - I have had buyers complain that each individual lot (some consisting of 1 part each) were not bagged separately, and had buyers complain that I used too many bags so I could jack up the postage cost (that one confuses me - am I getting some sort of kickback from USPS I wasn't aware of? :D )

Fortunately the vast majority of buyers are reasonable people who either understand the middle ground I and the vast majority of sellers (also reasonable people) try to tread (not too many lots of even small quantities in one bag; not too many similar colors in one bag; a variety of bag sizes so I can package what seems to me to be sensible and easy to sort at the other end, etc.)

Best plan is to leave no feedback at all unless the packaging has somehow damaged the parts, and in future tell sellers up front, in the comments section, that you'd like to request a specific type of packaging. There may be an additional fee from some sellers, depending on how complex and/or unusually expensive it is.
  • I've managed to save 100s of little bags used by sellers personally I think it's a waste there plastic and rubber for God sake there not going to do any harm all in one bag. Although I will say it might be a good idea to bag transparent pieces separately to avoid scratching. Don't get me wrong it's very professional to bag everything individually but hey it's costing you guys money to which you pass on to us the buyer I'm sure I speak for most that if it brought the prices of bricks down put them all in one bag. When I first started purchasing on here I took it for granted the seller sent the right amount and the right pieces I ordered but a few mistakes happened and went unnoticed until I started building the project then it was to late to complain so now I check and count every piece you send me when it arrives which means opening all them little bags if the pieces are for stock they go in plastic sorting trays if there for a project they all go together in a bag until I start making the project which leaves me with loads of little bags. The uk has started charging for carrier bags to try and cut down the waste to the environment maybe you guys need to do your bit and cut down yours.
  • In my own shop we usually put parts of the same catefory together depending on the quantity anything more than 10 or 20 pieces will gets their own bag. The exception on this is weight limit as mentioned above. The criteria is would i be happy to receive a package like this ?
  • I was wondering why stacking is a problem.
  • Once you stack, new parts become used.
  • what about stacking used parts?
  • Personally I think it is fine for used bricks. I still prefer to receive unstacked plates, though.
  • I pack large lot in seperate bag. Small lots (less then 10 item) will be combined.

I only stack part if this is absolue necessary to fit the order in an envelope, so that the shipping cost can kept low.
  • I always pack minifigs in individual bags and large lots in single bags, but small lots without printed pieces I usually combine. I keep tiles together without studded parts. I've gotten no complaints so far.