Part numbers

What certainty is there that part numbers from 1-999 are accurate? I see a 700 on the bottom of my old 10x20 plate. But what about others? Were these assigned in the early days of Peeron or are these canon? Many of these pieces have been assigned a new part number. Or maybe they were updated internally and received a second part number. Parts such as 554->42446. Since these low numbers seem to start in the Homemaker/Fabuland era, I wonder at their validity. @Robernat?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • think most are come from the Ldraw system http://www.ldraw.org and taken over on Peeron, BrickLink and now on BrickOwl

when an old part comes out again after years, then it's possible we'll find a (new?) partn°.
  • @DagsBricks
    Partnumbers below 1000 are quite rare to be found, as Stefaan mentioned, generated in 1 old database, then 'copied' by others, I assume for Ldraw most of the early numbers have simply been 'invented' and not based on reality. Obviously when at a later date the same part was used and numbered by TLG, the numbers got reassigned, but some never reappeared, so they just stayed 'as is'.
  • I'm obsessed to fill my chart with a part for every number from 1-99999. Many are found in assemblies (or AS assemblies!), as stickers and sometimes deco parts. But the sub 1000 lot has been very difficult. I suppose I should understand those numbers as placeholders, same as all the x-- and bb-- type parts. Though it seems like part numbering didn't start until the 70's so there may be scores of parts that never had numbers.

Thanks for the info! This will be a long ongoing project.