Web/API: Cleaning up old empty lots?

The count of empty lots can keep increasing for a store, as new lots are created to add new inventory (software often can't reuse existing lots since we can't change their "external ID"). It's easy to delete all empty lots from the web interface or the API, but maintaing access to the history of recent lots (web only) can be handy.

Could the web interface allow only selecting empty and old lots for deletion?
Or perhaps external IDs could be modified from the API?

Most stores are piling up thousands and thousands of empty lots. Retrieving the complete store inventory becomes heavier and slower over time, and the many "identical" empty lots doesn't help those searching the history of their parts (otherwise a very nice feature).

Thanks. I have had a few BrickSync "complaints" about that, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to solve this with the current API features.

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @Stragus
    A online button on BO would be nice: Clear all lot's with quantity=0 and older then xx weeks(or months), or even an automated query that runs every month or so. Maybe something @Lawrence can consider implementing?
    Personally I clear my lot's manually after processing my picking sheets (should I need to adjust quantity, I do it on both sites and sync afterwards), I'm actually going over all my Januari orders for that reason right now, it's dozens and dozens of pages (over 400 empty lot's in just 1 month).
  • @RobErNat You made me realize I can figure out how old a BrickOwl empty lot is by checking all past BL/BO orders saved on disk by BrickSync, searching for the last time any matching item has seen any activity. Silly me, I guess I can implement this without any additional BrickOwl feature after all :).

(Being able to change lot external IDs would still be nice for several other reasons).
  • edited February 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    In clearing lots you should be able to differentiate 1) lot went to zero organically and seller hasn't restocked vs 2) lot went to zero, seller restocked and new lot was created. In other words, don't delete the real zeros, just the duplicate zeros older than xxx days.

@Stragus, I still think there is something on the BS side (I emailed about this a long time ago). If I have external lot 123456 and it goes to zero, then I add more, it creates a new BO lot. The external ID never changed, but it won't reuse a lot that goes to zero. In fact we end up with multiple lots on BO with the same external ID as it went to zero and non-zero multiple times.
  • @DadsAFOL Right, I'll do some live testing, I never figured that out while staring at the source code (I don't normally retain empty lots).
  • @Stragus
    Alexis, whatever you pull out, don't make it black and white. While DA might reuse his empty lot's over and over, others *might* reuse them for other purposes, for instance I alter them towards 'used' and keep creating new lot's on new PartOuts if older lot's where at zero. That way I build an 'availablility' of lot's in stockroom that I can reuse when I wanna list used parts, it avoids me having to create new lot's manually when listing used, which is much faster. So my old external ID's from 'new' can become 'used' when I reuse them, reason it is important to have an option to destroy lot's and not just 'merge' them with the same external ID from an empty lot.
  • @RobErNat That issue was only when creating new BrickOwl lots when the user chooses to both "retain empty lots" and "reuse empty". That's fixed in version 1.6.8 pushed moments ago (the first update in a long while!):
    http://www.bricksync.net/changenotes.txt

I'll later add something else for those who don't retain lots and end up accumulating empty lots over time.
  • @Stragus
    Time to update then :-) (I'm 4 versions behind anyway I believe)
    I do retain lot's for a particular reason, but don't always reuse them (or as stated: reuse them for another purpose), so as long as one can choose in the config file, it's perfect, don't wanna 'reuse empty' except when I have manual control over it :-)
    A 'clearance' for empty lot's would be great if the command is manual and can be executed from within BS. I would even be more happy if there is command that clears lot's automaticly on BO when the clearance of a lot was generated by a BL order, but I suppose that would to much to ask for? :-D
  • There is now a filter on the inventory user interface for "Empty Lot > 180 days"
  • @Lawrence That sounds great, but where should we find that filter? Somehow, I'm not seeing it on the page http://www.brickowl.com/mystore/inventory
  • @Stragus see attached screenshot...
    @Brickcounter
    @Stragus
    I don't see it either. The reason is pretty obvious: I don't have any as I clean them up regulary.
    And Alexis doesn't retain lot's so 'obvious' why he doesn't see it either :P
    @Lawrence
    Do you see any possibility in the coding to make it a sellers setting, or a sellers 'multiple' choice: so either by filling in a number of days, or embed several options like 'older then 30 days', 'older then 90 days', older then 180 days'. That way each seller could make a certain choice based on a personal preference.
  • @brickcounter It's really not visible to me, but I think I know why.

All my old lots, even empty since 2014, have "Sale Percent changed to..." in their recent history. I assume that filter must simply be checking the date of last activity for the lots.
  • It checks the last updated date, rather than last sold, as last sold doesnt take account of sales from the api

@Robernat the way the data is stored, it's not feasible to have user specific settings
    @Lawrence
    Ones inventory allows to check which lot's are at zero.
    Right now it says: 0 (288) for me

If at that point I select a category, parts for instance, then we have several options to sort:

Do you see a possibility to add an option at that point, that would allow to sort based on 'how' a lot got to zero.

In the above screenshot one can see that in one case the lot became zero because a BO buyer bought out the lot, and the other lot became zero trough the API -> Anonymous.

If an additional filter could be implemented which would allow to sort on 'quantity set to zero by anonymous' , it would allow to quickly destroy lot's that got to zero by external source (aka the API), without risking to touch lot's set to zero by BO buyers, and there would no longer be any need to have user specific options as suggested above.

Eric
  • @DadsAFOL Right, I'll do some live testing, I never figured that out while staring at the source code (I don't normally retain empty lots).
    Just a friendly reminder @Stragus that this issue is yet to be solved. I have over 11,000 zero quantity lots, the vast majority are duplicates of BL lot IDs. Other than that, everything has been working fantastic, and we really really appreciate your work.
  • @DadsAFOL The latest version really should reuse existing lots when possible... Are you saying it doesn't?

It's still not cleaning up these 11000 empty duplicate lots though, that's quite correct. Thanks for the reminder.
  • I will delete the zeros manually, and see if new duplicates are created as we add stock over the next week or so. I didn't realize you had made a change to address this. Thanks.