Adding package weight to shipping methods

How can i add the weight of my package material to the shipping weight ?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @Snoopy1975
    You need to calculate on average and the rest comes from experiance ;-)
    Personally I apply about 20% for padded mail, so a 100 grams shipment, is a shippingband for 80 grams, 350 grams shipment is 270 grams of items.
    Boxes are a bit different, as base weight is higher then padded mail. My 'packages' start at 350 grams, a small box is between 70 and 100, so max weight for such would be 250 grams of items, so about 30%. You need to play safe on it, most certainly in the beginning, later on you can increase the weight limit if your averages of order weights always seem to fit 'easely'.
    One of the options to make a statistic for yourself is to set up bands, then on each order you get, you put the orderweight in a table (Excell for example) and you take the weight of each 'packed' order before you take it to the postoffice. That way you can keep a view on how it works out and slightly increase your 'allowed' weight for each shippingband as your experiance grows.
  • I analyzed my own historical shipments vs. my chosen packing materials (mailers and boxes) and came up with a table mapping order weight to packed weight. In Brick Owl, I entered the order weight from my table with the corresponding price for the packed weight from my table to create the bands.

Be careful with percentages - because my store has no minimum order, many of my smaller orders might have 100%+ of the raw part weight in packing materials. For example: My empty #0 bubble mailer with a shipping label, packing list, poly bag, and business card weighs about 17g / 0.6 oz.
  • Thanx for the information, i have changes my shipping weights, i hope this will work.
  • Be careful with percentages - because my store has no minimum order, many of my smaller orders might have 100%+ of the raw part weight in packing materials. For example: My empty #0 bubble mailer with a shipping label, packing list, poly bag, and business card weighs about 17g / 0.6 oz.
    that's theoretically and practically impossible, no? :-P