$15 Dispute fee on Stripe!!!

Wow, ok, so I did not read all the fine print, but it came as a surprise to me this morning, when I woke up to a credit card unauthorized charge back filed through Stripe. The order amount was $10.10, but Stripe pulled $25.10 out of my account!!!
I guess this is one way that PayPal is better than Stripe at least they don't charge you a $15 dispute fee!!!
This purchase was from back in September, and I have contacted the buyer to see what was going on. Hopefully it was a mistake on their part, but we will see.

They only have one feedback--of course the feedback that I left them....................................................................................sigh.

Katie

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ooh wow so when there is something wrong and you have to pay back soms money . it,s a 15 dollar fee ? I hope its a mistake for you !
  • Wow, ok, so I did not read all the fine print, but it came as a surprise to me this morning, when I woke up to a credit card unauthorized charge back filed through Stripe. The order amount was $10.10, but Stripe pulled $25.10 out of my account!!!
    I guess this is one way that PayPal is better than Stripe at least they don't charge you a $15 dispute fee!!!

I got the same thing a couple of weeks ago. (And oddly, for the same amount. A $10.10 order, so a total charge of $25.10 to my bank account.) Different buyer, though.

As for the $15 fee, it's not quite accurate to say that Paypal does not have this.

If a transaction shows that it is eligible for seller protection, you should be okay. But if it says that it's not eligible, and the buyer files a chargeback with their credit card company, Paypal will apply a $20 fee to your account.

--
    Marc.
  • Good to know, Marc. I've had a couple of disputes with PayPal, but I guess I've just been lucky enough not to incur this fee yet.
    Let's hope they remember the transaction and end the dispute.

Just an FYI, this transaction failed the street check.
    I just recently updated my settings to not allow charges that fail zip code verification, wish I'd done it awhile ago.

Katie
  • that was a reason why I quit using Stripe.
  • @figbits
    If a chargeback is done from credit card, does PP still 'charge' that fine if the refund is done on voluntary base (dispute)? Or does a CC chargeback leads instantly to a 'claim' status?
  • We had a charge back from credit card done on PP (thankfully got resolved in our favor). I can't remember the fee but it was going to be on the same line as Stripe. I do not believe we had any option to charge back the customer to avoid the fee. PP was asking us questions about the transaction to document the claim open by the bank of the other party. They were not running the show as we see during more traditional PP claim.
  • Just wanted to give an update on this. After two months, this dispute was resolved in my favor today.
    The full $25.10 was deposited back into my account.
    I have respectfully asked the Admin to remove the positive feedback I left for this buyer.
    Katie
  • Allrightbricks - you can remove feedback left for anyone else by going to Orders>All Orders then click on the left quote icon (feedback left) next to the one you want to remove and then on the feedback page on the right is a trash can. This removes feedback you have left for others.
    Hope this helps.
  • Thanks. Lawrence let me know this via email. Good to know, even though this is the only feedback I've ever wanted to remove. I leave feedback on all my orders when I ship, and until now haven't had any trouble to speak of.
    Katie
  • I also received an email from Stripe today, saying that the dispute had been found in my favor, and I was credited the full amount (including the $15 fee). What is interesting is that I actually didn't send anything in the Stripe at all as part of their dispute process. I just couldn't be bothered and I wrote the order off as a loss. *Shrug*

--
    Marc.
  • I sent some things in to be reviewed. Mostly I pointed out that the name and address of the person filing the dispute was identical to the name and address that the order was shipped to. It seems silly to claim fraudulent use this way.

Katie