Customs commodity code

Anyone know what commodity code I would use when shipping the following set outside Europe?

http://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-replacement-pack-lme-3-set-2000702

If it wasn't for the steel balls it would be same as almost every other Lego shipment, but I'm assuming the balls change this?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @Hoddie
    It remains a building toy, so 950300 is the international code for that.
    On the CN22 I would state: Building toy replacement parts including 2 steel balls.

I do the same when I ship wires, electric rails, etc, the only case where I don't state there is a metal inside is when it concerns items with batteries (tricky regarding aviation rules).
  • I've always used 95030035 - I didn't know you could leave off the final two digits.

You'd never guess I used to work at HMRC would you :) - though in fairness I never even heard of a commodity code until I left.

Thanks.
  • Unless the value is over something like $2500 for the US we are not required to input a commodity code. All of my packages have made it through fine on Merchandise, "Bulk plastic toy parts"
  • @Hoddie
    The 95030035 code is a specific code for LEGO (from what google tells me). I would never do such, as it makes the content 'identifible', and according to the same link it would mean 'LEGO plastic toys', so not handy for LEGO with other content (wires / steel balls / electronics / etc).
    950300 is more general: 'building toy', that includes anything in that range, including 'mecano' (a building toy made of metal components). So not only it is shorther to write, it also avoids 'identification' of the content (=safer), but still fits the guidelines for international HS codes ;-)

@DagsBricks
    Commodity (HS) codes are inportant when you ship abroad, it identifies the content of the shipment, don't just look at the requirements of your own country, keep in mind shipments are also checked on arrival at destination country, that's way the HS codes have been globally determined: to allow easy indentifaction of content for all parties involved, and such on a 'worldwide' level (remember your abroad shipment might also pass trough 'transit' countries)

Hopefully helpfull ;-)

Eric
  • 95 Toys and Games
    03 ... other toys ...
    00 Other construction toys
    35 of plastics

Not purely Lego but yeah, basically all plastic construction toys like Mega Bloks, Stickle Bricks (do these still exist?), etc. But you are correct, I checked with an old colleague at HMRC and the final two digits are not required when sending with a postal carrier, only when self-exporting with a haulage company (by which he presumably means on pallets or inside containers, etc.).

The CN23 confirms as much: "The HS tariff number (6-digit) must be based on the Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System developed by the World Customs Organization. Senders of commercial items are advised to supply this information as it will assist Customs in processing the items."

Makes things a lot easier that's for sure.