USPS and insurance?

edited August 2013 in General Vote Up0Vote Down
Don't know if this is new or old news, I just discovered that you can't insure priority mail international - it gets "automatic" indemnity based on weight of package. Extra insurance is "unavailable"!

...BUT if you pay a 20% premium and upgrade to priority mail express priority, you can + they increase automatic cover to a max of $200 - oh and how nice of them they will also send an undelivered item back to you at no extra charge.

Seems to me that the USPS is attempting to put a stop to international trade!

WHY?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That's odd, I just printed a label for a package a couple of days ago through click and ship. It was going to Australia priority mail and I was able to include insurance just fine. I think that $70 was covered automatically, but I was also able to select insurance as an option if I wanted more insurance.
    What country were you shipping to?
    Katie
  • Hi Katie - England, it specifically stated "insurance is not available" just covered an amount according to weight of package - $73.28??

Graham
  • Well - to anyone who's interested...

Envelopes - including priority flat rate - are delivered by Royal Mail in the UK - these can be insured.

Packages are delivered by Parcel Force and canot be insured unless you buy the premium USPS service (Express)

The postmaster did not know why, however I think I do.

being from England I know what to expect from Parcel Farce - possibly the worst package handler in the world! They have a habit of abusing packages (worst case scenario - throwing from the van into the recipients garden).

I imagine with Priority Express service - they are required to collect a signature? I was told by the postmaster that "regular" priority does not get a signature confirmation.

So does anyone know of a list of exceptions (other countries) where similar applies?

as I am going to make it only express service only to UK for valuable orders.

Thanks Graham