Changing shipping type bypasses order combination fee and shipping fee?

Hi everyone,

It seems one of my buyers wanted to add to their order. Instead of paying the order combination fee and increased shipping fee, they changed the shipping type to local pickup and it went through without charging them the additional rate or fee. Do I need to cancel their order and have them place it again to calculate correctly? If they are combining a new order with an exisiting one, can they change the shipping type?

giser

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The order confirmation fee is added onto the shipping charge, so if the shipping charge is negative, because they have changed to a cheaper shipping method, then the order confirmation fee won't be added as essentially the customer has already paid the fee in their previous shipping cost. We do eventually intend to highlight this better to the customer. If the customer now wants to pick up the order, then there is no need to cancel it, but you may want to refund their previous shipping charge.
  • The order confirmation fee is added onto the shipping charge, so if the shipping charge is negative, because they have changed to a cheaper shipping method, then the order confirmation fee won't be added as essentially the customer has already paid the fee in their previous shipping cost. We do eventually intend to highlight this better to the customer. If the customer now wants to pick up the order, then there is no need to cancel it, but you may want to refund their previous shipping charge.
    May we assume you meant order 'combination' and not 'confirmation' fee ;-)
    Just a technicality :-)

So, you recently adjusted the 'quote' method, if primary order is made with quote, the combined order would need to be quoted as well, wouldn't it be more logical if buyers would not be able to 'downgrade' any shipping method just as well (seller can adjust anyway)?
    One of the most obvious 'downgrades' is indeed 'pick up', but that shouldn't be an issue whatsoever, as seller and buyer would meet, so the seller can simply handout in cash the difference... Assuming most sellers would also cashback the combining fee on a 'pick up', there is no reason to allow a cheaper method, and so 'lock' the use of 'equal' or 'bigger then' on each order.

my 2 cents

Eric

• If the customer now wants to pick up the order, then there is no need to cancel it, but you may want to refund their previous shipping charge.
    Unfortunately, they are 2000 miles away and cannot pick it up ;)

Buyer informed me that they had no option except to choose local pick up as the shipping option when placing the order? When they requested a quote though, all shipping options were there. Strange....

• It's always best to have a look at your shipping methods when a customer indicate something like that. It appears that you only have two shipping methods that apply to Canada and both of them have lots of restrictions that may mean they wouldn't be available on that order, particularly maximum weight and dimension limits.