Price: round to 2 decimals or 3?

I've been thinking about this site vs. BL. While there are AFOLs buying on this site I think the main buyer population on this site is going to be the more casual buyer. Our store rounds to three decimals for price on BL and we have been doing such here as well. I am wondering if the three decimal system might be confusing or intimidating to the average buyer and hamper sales? Thoughts?

Tracy

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It throws me sometimes since I expect to see two digits after the decimal. I don't always see the decimal right off. So .105 might be 10.5 cents but it can easily be mistaken for $1.05. Or wait, is that a penny and some weird stuff? Is it even US currency?

Brian
  • It is necessary for the smaller parts so we can't really get rid of it. I've made the third digit grey if the price is over 5, I'm not sure if it looks better or worse, but on higher-priced items like sets it means your eye is drawn less to the third digit.
  • I like the greyed 3rd digit. I would suggest making the threshold 1 rather than 5 becuase that's the point where the numerical significance shifts. Maybe may this a buyer's preference option?
    $0.999
    $1.001
  • Three decimal pricing really should not confuse most people. Especially here in the USA where three decimal pricing has been used at every gasoline station for the past 50 years or so. Most of our utilities are also charged in three decimal pricing. BLers are used to it, and casual non-AFOL buyers see it everyday at every US gas station and almost every utility bill they see. So I wouldn't fuss too much over this. Just let each seller decide for themselves whether they want to use 2 or 3 decimal pricing.

Thor
  • To clarify, I was not trying to suggest we do away with the choice of two or three digits :)

I was curious on what opinions were on non-AFOLS aka the Amazon mom type (LOL) as to if they would be off-put by the three decimals as I was thinking about switching our store over to two digit as opposed to three.

I like the greyed 3rd digit as well, thanks!

Tracy