Learning how to import a BSX file and potential issue with Backups

I haven't been able to import properly a BSX file into my inventory. I am sure I am doing something wrong :P. Any help would be appreciated.

I had a part-out of 4 identical sets done on BrickStock.
I tried to import the BSX with the hope of merging the existing lots and keeping old public and private comment intact as well as the old prices.
What I got was new lots created (some items had two lots created for extras).
I also only got quantities reflecting 1 set (as opposed to 4).

If someone could highlight which import method and options I should use that would be great.
I suspect the fact that the quantities reflected 1 set as opposed to 4 is a separate issue. The quantities are correct when I open the file with Brickstock

Now I was cautious enough to do a back up ahead of time. When I saw the operation didn't go as planned I tried to restore the backup.
The odd thing is that the backup is only affect lots that were presents. None of the newly created lots are removed. I assume I could have wiped out my inventory and restore the backup but that would not be very user friendly. Did I miss an option or a way to restore the backup that would remove lots that were not present before the backup ?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is how I load up a Brickstock file. If I'm just updating prices then it's as shown, if it's adding items to the inventory then I select 'add quantity from file to existing quantity' in the 4th drop down box of the 8 at the bottom. Sounds like you need the 'merge and use existing public note' option in the 5th drop down box to preserve your notes.

And yeah, I think you need to delete your inventory before uploading the backup. Will mess with existing carts but not sure there's another way to do it.
    1.png 38.3K
  • You can set all lots to zero quantity instead of deleting them
  • Thanks @Hoddie I might have neglected #4. I will play around with a small bsx file to be on the same side.

@Lawrence any reason not to provide an option to do a real backup ? Also a way to replay orders after the backup would be nice ;) I luckily only had one with 20 lots but it could have been very ugly.
    I will use the trick about setting everything to 0 if I have to.
  • @OverTheBrick
    Alexis(Stragus) has made a program: owl2bsx, it will scrape your brickowl inventory as a BSX file and you'll have a backup whenever you like to ;-)
  • I think @OverTheBrick 's issue is not downloading the backup, but "applying" it.

Currently, uploading a backup to BrickOwl can create new lots or modify existing lots, but it won't remove existing non-matched lots (it's not a "sync").
  • edited September 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Two steps: Import, then duplicate the file, in the second file, select all (needs to be done in batches), multiply by zero= all lot's set to zero, upload with modify quantity option -> all real lot's set to zero. Sort inventory by quantity, delete all with a quantity more then zero. Then take the original file, import with modify quantity option, and all is back, then the BSX of the PO can be imported with the options Hoodie has shown. Should work no?