BrickOwl = high pinging rate?

Not sure what to make of this. I opened the resource monitor on my computer as I've been having some issues lately. Under my network monitor the highest resource user is 108.162.204.246. I traced this to BrickOwl.com. Why would there be such a high rate of exchange bits even when the site is sitting dormant? Sometimes it's a steady 250B/s. Other times it slows to 50B/s. In any case it's almost always the highest resource user. Glad I don't pay for my internet service based on bitrate. :D

Brian

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Is this while sitting on the forum?
  • Yeah, that must be it. I went to the catalog and within a minute that path disappeared from resources used. Came into the forum and it went back up to ~300B/s.

Brian
  • That'll be the chat thing, pinging to check you're still on the page and updating the chat. Roughly 1mb per hour at that rate, don't think it would put much of a dent into usage limits :)
  • Found another that points to envolve.com. That must be your chat module?

Brian
  • Good to know... I'll not blacklist those IPs then. :D

Brian
  • Can we have an option to disable the chat? Its a resource hog, especially when trying to read the forum from my mobile phone.
  • disable chat option +1
    Robert
  • disable chat option +2
    L-)
  • :O I thought that was like the most requested feature on BL. Is it just the implementation you guys are not a fan of?
  • :O I thought that was like the most requested feature on BL. Is it just the implementation you guys are not a fan of?
    I think it is a very vocal minority that keeps requesting it.

With the current implementation it affects everyone who visits the forum even those who have no interest in chat. I used to keep this page open most of the time but might only refresh it every couple of hours to see if there are new discussions. I do not do that any longer. I think the concern people have is that you get all this load by just keeping the forum page open.

If I remove the Brick Owl Chat at the bottom by clicking the X would that stop the requests ?

• yep, just the resource issue. No problem with the feature for those who want to use it but I don't so I don't want it running. On BL there was a very small uptake of the feature but those who did use it miss it and keep asking for it to be replaced.

Robert
  • Okay, I've disabled that until I find something better. I personally used to use the chat years ago on BL and found it quite enjoyable.
  • How about separating chat from forum by giving it its own Tab? (I am assuming this won't load resources while you browse any other tab).
    I personally do not care about chat but I think the fact that there is a chat and BL still hasn't gotten it back serves to show how things are easy to get done and are actually getting done here.

I also have a feeling that the set of "bring back chat whiners on BL" heavily intersects the set of "lets hate any other site just because we don't have anything else to do" so in a way it is like making a special vegan meal for the party when you know that none of the vegans will show up, but still you can tell them later, look what you missed.
  • How about separating chat from forum by giving it its own Tab? (I am assuming this won't load resources while you browse any other tab).
    I personally do not care about chat but I think the fact that there is a chat and BL still hasn't gotten it back serves to show how things are easy to get done and are actually getting done here.

I also have a feeling that the set of "bring back chat whiners on BL" heavily intersects the set of "lets hate any other site just because we don't have anything else to do" so in a way it is like making a special vegan meal for the party when you know that none of the vegans will show up, but still you can tell them later, look what you missed.
    Agree with point 1
    - I also don't use "chat" never have, never will.
    BUT if it's there for those who want it without interference to those who don't - great.

I like your analogy - have you noticed - go to a "pot-luck" hosted by a veggie - they EXPECT you to bring veggie food.
    Invite them to a BBQ they will BRING veggie food!

Had this from one of my kids friends - "but meat eaters will eat vegetarian" - not me Ms arrogance, not unless it's a side dish!!

Graham

• So, will chat ever be brought to another window (as logical) or will we remain chatless forever? :D