Lego Bat-Pod... To sell or not to sell?

Oddly enough I had thought it was a joke when Lego asked for my address a few weeks ago - promptly forgot about it and went on with life. That is until Fed-Ex dropped the Bat-pod set and I decided to google it online to read the reviews. Instead I saw the craziness on ebay, brinklink, etc. (oddly enough not here yet).

I wouldn't really call myself a collector - I typically just buy and turn the legos I buy here into an art project (great stress relief in grad school) or hold onto the ones I like putting together (still have some great castle and city sets from the mid 80's). I don't just hold on to unopened sets - feels... wrong. I've debated opening a shop before - though the idea of cataloging 1000's of pieces is overwhelming. :-) So I guess long story short my question is what to do with this unexpected set? Keep it? Sell it now? Hold on to it for a while?

Kukly

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you are a builder rather than a collector, I would suggest to sell it to buy more useful parts. :)

You may want to wait a little before selling, to see where the market settles. It's certainly far more valuable as an unopened set.
  • Personally I would try to sell it at some of those crazy price seen on eBay asap while the frenzy is there. I would bet the price will go down soon and will take a while to go back at its peak.
  • I'm sure it's not what you meant but most of the cataloging of 1000's of pieces is already done. :-) You need not be a large seller to sell here. This is not a set that terribly interests me. If it were me, I would research where it is selling for the highest price and list there (keep site fees in mind). Then (as previously stated) I can buy more of what I really would want.
  • First of all: congrats!

For me there are always 2 important questions (for my 12v collection that is): Do I really WANT to build it? And: Do I NEED the money right now, or will the money be gone in a couple of weeks without me realizing what I have spend it on and nothing really changed in my life? I think the anwers speak for them self... :)

ps: like stated above: listing the parts can be done within a minute if you know how. Need help, just ask :)
  • Since it's going for over $1000 ... yeah, I'd sell it.

--
    Marc.
  • DagsBricks - Think I meant more the listing and sorting here at the house. Between my brother and I, we had two full wooden chests of legos growing up. He had no interest in his after he got married and had kids. So now I have two... which turns out to be a ton more legos than one thinks as a kid. :)

Leaning towards selling... though it is cooler in person than I thought it'd be. Of course, it can always fund more legos. :)
  • I'd sell. Imagine how much Lego $1,500 would buy :) If you're gonna keep it in the box then it may become irrelevant over time rather than increasing in value, and if you're gonna build it for play or display, you can buy the parts for a fraction of the amount you'd get if you sold the sealed box, and if the wheels and Hero Factory parts return to stock at Bricks and Pieces as is supposed to be happening soon, the cost of the parts would be even less.