Edit shipping method

edited September 2015 in Brick Owl Vote Up0Vote Down
Just placed a test order on my test account to figure out how the API works and test it.

When displaying the order, there is 'edit' button next to the shipping method. When changing the shipping method the order total does not change. Is that normal?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited September 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Yes, all order totals are fixed, you cannot change the amount of a customer pays after they've placed their order. For your information, you can place an order with the same account that runs the store, you don't need multiple accounts.
  • ah.. nice, didn't know that. Thanks!
  • @mullie
    In case for some reason you need to refund part of the shipping (and you adjusted the shipping method), then you can use the 'actions' tab, select issue refund, above the items list: Set to 0 (= no refund of items), adjust shipping by putting in the amount you which to refund. Update totals, enter a note and refund (also automated trough the API if Paypal was used). These adjustments are then also visible in the top screen of the order. Obviously you can also combine this with a refund of an item or a full lot (in that case, you can set 'all' to 0, then just adjust the quantity of the lot) . So order totals are fixed, unless you use the 'refund' option (but the original amounts remain visible) ;-)
    All of this has been neatly setup by Lawrence, works flawless (if you have the PP balance for it, otherwise an error will occur) and quite handy, as it happens regulary orders are overcharged on 'shipping' due to unkown dimensions of items in orders (particulary minifigs).

• edited September 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi RobErNat,

That's usefull information, thanks!

I'm a bit worried about your last sentence. What happens exactly when dimensions are unknown? Which shipping method will be used then? Does the system asumes it's a small item or a very large item?

In your example your assuming that you always give a refund because of over shipping. But it can also be that the buyer want a extra shipping service and has to pay more. So the opposite of a refund (pay extra).
  • A part missing dimensions is assumed to be big, that it won't fit under 20mm or 30mm (even if said part is just a minifig).
  • @mullie
    Items having no known dimensions (parts/minfigs) have a 'virtual' dimension that is usually big enough to not cause 'under calculation', but rather an 'over charge' on shipping (usually package in stead of padded mailer). Dunno exactly for sets, as I haven't set up many 'large' package dimensions, but I did notice some CMF baggies and polybags also lead to (smaller) packages (while they can fit padded mailers), so quite safe from a selling point of view(the buyer is overcharged, you just refund the difference). The only time I had undercharges (2 or 3 times) is because of wrong dimensions in catalog (1 even being my own fault), or a shippingmethod that wasn't finetuned.
    It would be nice if all sellers take some time to check their inventory and search for items with missing data in regards to sizes and weights and submit the data, it not only helps their own store, but also all other sellers, and even more it's better for the buyers, as the get charged 'correctly'. Unfortunatly not many seem to chime in...
  • @RobErNat
    Thanks for sharing that. We will go live with our full inventory very soon on BrickOwl as well. Items without a weight or dimension will be editted automatically through the API. As our inventory is quite large, we should be able to contribute in improving the catalog. Hope that helps!