Missing dimensions

One question and one request.

Request: Is it possible to add an option to be able to download a .bsx file of all items we sell that have missing dimensions? And can this file perhaps include what's missing as text within the 'remark' field ("W" or "D" or "D/W") - this would make a lot easier to fill in the gaps.

Question: Pretty much all variants of a certain thing will have the same dimensions and weight - for example all decorated 1x2 tiles with groove will measure and weigh the same as a regular 1x2 tile with groove, except perhaps where the item is chromed or some other metallic variant. Does it therefore follow that the measurements given to the regular 1x2 tile with groove will flow to all decorated 1x2 tiles of the same variant, and thus this piece only ever needs to be measured once regardless how many decorated types show up? If this isn't currently the case would it be possible at some point to make this the default position?

What got me thinking about this is item 92456 - the friends mini-doll torso. These should in theory all weigh the same and have the same dimensions, but 4 of the 6 different ones that I sell are missing dimensions. Obviously I can transfer the measurements from one to the other 4 but this brings with it room for error, and for every new one introduced someone needs to go to the effort of doing it. Perhaps this problem exists because there isn't a master variant of 92456 - all that exist are decorated.

For all items where this is the case would it be a good idea to pretend that a master non-decorated variant does exist so that each part only ever needs to be measured once? Perhaps such items can be tagged as 'catalogue master' or 'does not exist' to make their purpose clear? Or would it be possible to designate the first ever decorated version of such a piece - where a non-decorated alternative does not exist - as the 'master' variant, with all measurements flowing automagically from that the others?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited August 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Dimensions do get copied to decorated children, but not to assembly children. 92456 has a parent, but the children are assemblies, they can have different arms, so the dimensions and weight isn't copied along. Usually when there's lots of children without a parent, I can find the correct parent and make it.
  • I'll add to the BrickSync to-do list:
    - A command to output BSX with noted missing BrickOwl catalog information... I'll verify with what API calls the information is provided, I don't recall if catalog access would be required.
  • @Lawrence, okay that makes sense re the assemblies. I wasn't aware that Mini-dolls could come with different arms, assumed they were all the same.

@Stragus, thanks a lot but it wouldn't help me as I don't use BrickSync. A database update for owl2bsx would be handy though :)