Payment Option

Is there way to accept paypal without a business account ? I never had that issue before with my US paypal account and I have been using the secure merchant account id (from my personal account).

Any plans to add Amazon WebPay and Goggle Wallet ?

Thanks,
CB

Comments

• 46 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited June 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hey,

I'm not 100% certain of the business account requirement but PayPal does seem to imply that you can't get the API keys without one. Hopefully it is not too much hassle to upgrade, there are some brief details here https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main.jsp;jsessionid=GRjGK7nbjLGTHb6R2vdGvRkNM4x7KpGGCtvLjN9pTN2lyLJxmjxX!-1588418?t=solutionTab&ft=homeTab&ps=&solutionId=64363&locale=en_AU&_dyncharset=UTF-8&countrycode=AU&cmd=_help&serverInstance=9012

We will certainly be adding more payment methods later
  • Google Wallet is going away in November (forget the exact date) - FYI.

Tracy

• We have two Pay Pal accounts, one Regular Business and one Micro account. I do not see a way to have them both on my store. Am I missing something?
  • @bigdh

Can I clarify what situation you would use two different Paypal accounts for?
  • Sure - the Micro accounts are set up by Pay Pal for vendors that primarily accept small payment, so that our Pay Pal fees are less. Micro fees are 5 cents + 5% vs. Standard fees of 30 cents +2.9% (https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/merchant-fees) Example they use is a $2.00 payment, Micro fee 15 cents - standard fee 36 cents.
  • Ah, so would you want to use one account for payments under X and the other account for payments over X?
  • It's usually that under around 10$ it's better to use the Micropayments account and over the usual account. You'll save some fees on that.
  • Yes, I prefer to allow smaller orders and use the Micro account, rather than have my store minimum set higher and only allow regular Pay Pal payments.

The break even is $12.00 and since we are a hobby seller, allowing small orders works great for us. But I don't want to turn away the larger orders, just don't want to have to pay Pay Pal the extra if the larger payment go to our Micro Account.

Thanks for considering my request
  • Okay, I've added that to the development list. We will add Micropayment PayPal as a separate option, and then let you add a limit to it so it is only allowed for orders under X.
  • When implementing this I would suggest it be an either/or option so that you are not displaying "Paypal" and "Paypal Micropayments" to the buyer when their order is under the limit. They will not know the difference and may select regular paypal anyways.

Ideal would be that if a seller selects Paypal Micropayments and also accepts regular Paypal, only Micropayments will be shown under the limit they set and only regular pPaypal would be shown above the limit. Without having to set anything in the regular Paypal settings.
  • Ah yes, I need both a lower and upper limit. The limits may vary between countries and it might also be useful for other methods so I will leave them to be set by the user.
  • I got my paypal API details without upgrading my paypal account to a business account (which I don't want to do since I don't have a business). it was a simple case of using the button you provided and logging into my PayPal account and the relevant API info was presented. Will this cause me any issues when it comes to people checking out do you know?
  • @atkinsar That's interesting, afraid I don't know. Once you're setup, send me an email and I'll make an order to try it out.
  • humm, I tried the link and PayPal tells me I need to upgrade to get API details. May be country specific.
  • @ljames28 in the PayPal transaction detail, there are no comments on order source, order number etc. Can you modify the API to pass "Brick Owl order #xxxxxxx" so that we can differentiate payments received from payments for other sites?

Thanks.
  • For now I've added an order description of "Brick Owl Order" as a quick fix. I will need to change how the order numbers are stored as at the moment the order number is generated right at the end after the PayPal stuff has happened already.
  • @Admin- First off, thanks for setting up the site! It looks great for one just recently launched!

Just to add my name to the list, I was also given the standard message from PayPal that I needed to upgrade my account to business which I would prefer not to do.

Perhaps it is country specific, @atkinsar, as I did the exact same thing (I'm in US and I know you are EU), and was shown the message

Let me know when you fix it so I can start adding items :o)
  • edited June 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    If PayPal says you need to do it, unfortunately that is probably the only way. You could make a separate account for the business transactions I believe. The API integration is required for customers to pay instantly and to be able to view the PayPal payment details on your order screen.
  • I was able to get API credentials without upgrading to a business account by doing these steps.

Go to Profile
    Click on My Selling tools on the left side
    Click Update next to API Access
    Use option two and click on the link
    Click on the option for an API signature
  • I'm in the UK along with @atkinsar. I don't have a business account either and was able to retrieve my API details by clicking the 'retrieve' button provided without upgrading also.

@admin - Please could you provide confirmation that there won't be a problem checking out for my customers?
  • It looks like that should be okay, the PayPal payment gets setup correctly in atkinsars store.
  • @Brick Barn - API Access does not feature under My Selling tools. Anyone else in the US not able to do this?
  • ^Same. I just checked and this feature doesn't appear to be available in a US PayPal account.
  • Brick Barn is in the US so it is not the country.
  • @bluedragon- I'll mess around with my account a bit tonight and see if I can find the problem.

@Admin if you find anything out please let us know. I'll be adding some catalog information that I see is currently missing on some minifigures as soon as I get back home :o)
  • As a note on paypal, sellers MAY want to create a second account. I have two, I kept one personal and never upgraded it, and I never receive commercial payments there. But it means that I receive personal payments for free. My other account is the one known publicly, and it pays the fee on every payment received.

I had no trouble getting my API key info and putting it in here, and I checked that it seemed to work by taking a self order almost all the way through (cancelled on the paypal payment confirm screen).... it showed my logo correctly on the PayPal screen when I did it.

Wasn't aware of micro, sounds cool.... must be non US though.
  • @Lar - the Micro account is available in the US (I am in Texas). We have had it for many years. You can do a search on the Pay Pal fees page and see the Micro Payment account, along with all the other types of accounts they offer. I had to set up a new email for it and link it to a bank account not already linked on Pay Pal.
  • @bigdh

thanks! I will check it out. We don't have a lot of sales where it makes sense but seems a good option to have!
  • We also use micro payments in addition to standard payments, so would be delighted to see this implemented
  • I have just finished integrating PayPal standard. This can be used with personal accounts. Would somebody like to try it out? It is a new payment method type, so you can add it from your payment settings screen
  • Thank you! I have added PayPal standard. Will add inventory tonight so it can be tested out.
  • @Admin- I'll try and add it now. Thanks for working on this for us.
  • @Admin- Worked like a charm, I just added it. I don't think there should be any complications for actual sale/payment. Thank you!
  • For any others that might be interested in setting up Micro Accounts

https://www.paypalobjects.com/IntegrationCenter/ic_micropayments.html
  • [Bump] Still need micropayments!
  • Okay, so I've added a new payment type of micro-payments which is identical to the PayPal for business accounts. I have also added minimum and maximum order subtotal limits so you can restrict it to certain order sizes.

Could you give it a try and see if it works okay? I have not tested it with a micro-payments account, I don't know if they have different API allowances etc.
  • Got the new credentials and set it up at the Brick Owl end without any problems, but getting an "Invalid PayPal Credentials" error during checkout.
  • Hang on - it's just me - didn't enter the credentials correctly!
  • edited July 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Sorry, try again

Edit: you probably tried it just after I fixed it :)
  • Paypal intercepted the transaction at the final hurdle, recognising me as being both the buyer and the seller, so I'd say it was working as expected.
  • Excellent, thanks for trying it out.
  • On the contrary - thanks for implementing it :-bd
  • Thank you! One tweak if possible...

Can you change the payment thresholds from order subtotal to order grand total with shipping, coupons, etc.?

In the US, the optimal break point is USD $11.90. But this applies to the grand total, since PayPal will charge you their fee on your postage total.

So if I set the current subtotal threshold at $10, I'll be right around that line for domestic orders with $1.99 shipping. But for international buyers with $6.46 shipping, I'll lose a few cents to PayPal's higher fee.
  • Sure, I meant to do that but forgot. It is now set to the total instead of the sub total.