[e-mail address removed]

Would if be possible NOT to have the address removed?

Whenever payment has gone wrong (due to Paypal issues, or whatever) or if a customer selected the wrong checkout option, it is a real pain in the... to explain that in order to make a new payment link, the customer can't just write the email address in a message.

Right now I am trying to explain this to a French customer for about 10 messages, and still no result. This looks very unproffesional. And IMO it is pretty useless as well, since the email address is visible in Paypal as soon as the transaction is done.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited August 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    If you message the customer directly through the website, rather than via the email forwarding, your email will not be removed. You could also avoid the situation by disabling your paypal for personal accounts payment method and using one of the other options.
  • Lawrence, please consider never filtering out the email addresses when there's an active order between the seller and the customer.

I'm sure it's really bothersome for everyone and it never looks professional.
  • I'll second that.
    Once there is an active order, there is no point in hiding a persons e-mail.
    If PP is involved, which presumably is in +90% of cases, both buyer and seller can lookup eachother's e-mail anyway on Paypal, so it wouldn't make the slightest difference 'security' wise, and particulary in those cases where something goes wrong or when there is the need for an e-mail on packages it's really bothersome.
    In most countries CN23 customs labels normally require an e-mail to be put on, it's not very conveniant to put an encrypted e-mail on it, and I'm sure customs might frown upon it when they need to contact someone by typing something like [email protected]
    as this is bound to go wrong....

Eric
  • I am also in favour of this change.
    My online accounts system needs a unique way of identifying a customer, so I use email address, that way I can create invoices on there from my customers whether they buy from here, bricklink, or my own website. At the moment I have to lookup the email address in paypal and then find their account to use.
  • If you message the customer directly through the website, rather than via the email forwarding, your email will not be removed.
    I ask my customers for their email address, so I can provide them with a payment link. And customers don't know this.
    You could also avoid the situation by disabling your paypal for personal accounts payment method and using one of the other options.
    That doesn't help in the situations I mentioned (Paypal error, or making a mistake in payment choise)
  • @BrickItOn
    If you upgrade you Paypal account type from personal (standard) towards 'premium', you can simply link up your account to Brickowl with a Paypal API-Key (very secure) and you can stop sending Paypal links, I really don't see why you're making it complicated for yourself (and for your buyers) by using a link, while the whole site is setup for autocheckout with autopayment.
    Upgrading your PP account has no influence 'business' wise, it's just a slightly more improved account type, and particulary allows those flawlessly working API keys with Paypal.
    Make it easier for yourself AND your buyers (you really must be among the very very few operating like this).
    BL also just implemented the 'instant pay' function from within the site, the setup is a bit different then on BO, but works just as well. So sellers sending invoices with payment requests (by mentioning their e-mail) or 'payment links' will slowly find themselves being frowned upon by buyers as those methods are pretty 'archaic' nowadays ;-)

Now offcourse this won't solve the problem when a buyer selects the wrong payment method :P

• Hi Eric,

I don't think you understood correctly :)
    I only have to create a NEW payment link when the original checkout failed due to Paypal being down or something like that. Or in case buyers accidentally choose IBAN instead of PP.
    Off course I use the automated checkout, works fine. Sometimes PP payments come in before I know I have received a new order.

Will look into the premium PP, but like you (and I) said, I am pretty sure it won't prevent buyers from choosing the wrong payment method :)
  • @BrickItOn
    Yes then I did mistunderstand ;-)

How often do you get those? I mean buyers not choosing the right method? I had maybe 1 or 2 so far, and another one (USA) who placed 2 bogus orders in 2 days, but most likely a kid... so that last one never paid anyway.
  • Well, I have to make an estimation:

Out of the +/- 220 orders last month:

- 2 evenings where Paypal was down, about 5 or 6 orders that couldn't use automatic checkout.
    - +/- 4 orders where IBAN was selected instead of PP by accident.
    - +/- 3 orders (all French) where buyer prefered PP, but could only choose IBAN. I changed that now, I have PP available for more countries now.

It is not a big problem, it just looks unproffesional to ask a customer to send their email address with a # instead of a @...
  • @RobErNat
    "Upgrading your PP account has no influence 'business' wise, it's just a slightly more improved account type, and particulary allows those flawlessly working API keys with Paypal."

... not necessarily true in all jurisdictions. Setting your PayPal account to business might help a tax authority rule that you are indeed a business as opposed to a private individual just selling off his own Lego (which must be the case for some sellers).
  • @Hoddie
    If you read my full text again, I stated 'premium' in stead of 'personal', and this hardly affects your status with paypal, only if you switch to type 3 (business) it makes a difference, as PP will issue a more elaborated 'bill' on year bases (afaik), so businesses can file their tax report and such, not sure if they actually send information to local governments.
    I think fees are also slightly lower, as they are based on number of transactions and 'volume' (hardly possible to reach with a standard OR premium account).

From a governments position , one is either private or business, yet PP has 3 types of accounts, switching from type 1 to type 2 doesn't seem to change a thing (so 'business'-wise you remain 'private' if you wish), only an upgrade fom type 1 OR type 2 towards type 3 makes a difference ;-)
    Hope that makes sense :-)
  • When I log in to PayPal I see two account types. Personal and business.
  • @Hoddie
    It is possible they removed the 'premier'(premium) account type the past years or so,
    Assuming you have a 'private' account'
    What are your options on this page:
    https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/settings/
    for me the only option is to upgrade to 'business', but it clearly states I have a premier account (so in between private and business).

With all the changes on PP (they are now seperated from Ebay again), it is possible they reduced the allowed 'account' types and skipped 'premier', or it is 'hidden' in the options to upgrade (sometimes you need to click several pages to get where you 'really' wanna go).
This discussion has been closed.