Shipping option behaviour problems

Hello all, I've been having some issues with the shipping options. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on how to fix this?

When parts are added by a new user, the default shipping option chosen by the system is the cheapest option available, which is what I want. However, when a part is added that bumps up the shipping cost to a new shipping method (parcel instead of letter), THE SYSTEM DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY CHOOSE THE CHEAPEST SHIPPING OPTION ANYMORE NO MATTER HOW THE CART CHANGES, OR EVEN IF I EMPTY THE CART!!

Here's my example: I add a few bricks that can sent as letter mail. The system correctly defaults to the letter mail option (the cheapest one). I then add an oversize part that bumps up the cost of shipping to a parcel method, and the system adjusts accordingly, and the letter option is no longer available to choose.

Now, when I REMOVE this oversize part to get back letter mail shipping, THE SYSTEM KEEPS THE SHIPPING METHOD THE SAME, instead of defaulting back to the cheapest option. The option is visible at the checkout screen, but not selected. So if folks are doing quick removals of items from the storefront, they don't see the option to change to cheaper shipping until they go to the checkout, which they may not do!

Now here's the frustrating part. EVEN IF I EMPTY MY CART, LEAVE THE STORE, COME BACK TO THE STORE AND ADD NEW PARTS, IT DEFAULTS TO THE LAST METHOD FOR SHIPPING THAT WAS IN USE, THE MUCH HIGHER PARCEL SHIPPING, rather than the cheapest method available.

Any thoughts on what I might change to fix this? For now, I've simply disabled any shipping methods above my basic shipping. The problem with THAT now is that if an order falls outside the specs for the basic method, it defaults to request a quote and will not change from that except manually again at checkout!

Help please! Is there a way to specify that the system default to the cheapest shipping option available?

Thanks!

giser

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • LOL, and I just noticed a similar post from a couple of days ago that talked about the local collection option, which is not the case here.
  • The cart saves the shipping method used, so if a customer chose a method, it would not revert back to another method. This has the side affect described above, but the customer can change the method in the cart or at checkout.
  • Thanks Lawrence, however, I never chose the shipping method. It gets automatically selected when past the dimension threshold. When I remove the item, it does not revert back to the default method. And it stays that way, until I manually choose another method or I'm assuming I remove a cookie, even when I empty my cart.

It would be nice to have a way to specify to always default to the cheapest shipping method as the cart changes, and then have the buyer make a final selection at checkout. If the buyer continues shopping, I would prefer they see the most economical shipping price.

I'm going to have to remove my automatic shipping methods, at least domestically. In Canada, the difference to ship parts less than 20mm thick and over 20mm can be TRIPLE. I think I'll lose less buyers making them request a quote than getting stuck on $15+ shipping showing for a single part.

giser
  • Understood, this should only be an issue if the customer adds large items to their cart and then removes them. If you are going to disable your shipping methods, you could just disable the larger shipping methods, rather than all of them.
  • Thanks Lawrence, unfortunately because of Canada Post (WAY worse than USPS!) anything over 20mm is "oversized", so in my specs its anything over 16mm (to allow for bubble packing). So not that large or unusual of an item (even some minifig helmets, 2 x 2 brackets, a windscreen, etc.) will jump into parcel class. Not so bad for international shipping, but Canadian domestic shipping is terrible, which of course is most of my buyers.

If it was a quick fix, I'd love to see it happen to default to that cheapest method possible.